Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
tekman741

stabilizer stuck any suggestions

I had a flat right(door side) rear tire on my 2009 keystone 296bh. I had the jacks extended and was able to get the tire off, because it was flat. To re install i used a scissor jack to lift just the axle. I took some tension off the rear stabilizer's and since it is just the axle with it's suspension being moved by the scissor jack and not the entir rv i figured no probelm.

Go out to move TT to in laws house, as we are not using it for a while, fronts worked fine but cannot retract nor extend rear stabilizer.

The screw in the stabilzer is not bent just overly tight which is enough resistance for the motor not overcome.

Got out the crank, but the pin where the crank is inserted broke with almost no tension=rusted.

I need to drill it out and install new, but anyone have an idea where the fuse is on the rear stabilizer?

My fuse panel is fine no leds indicating blown fuse. I looked quick but could not see a fuse for frnt/rear jacks.

They should have 2 separate fuses right?
Because, two separate motors, that's why the frnts work?
That's my logic anyway.
Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.
tekman741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

Hi. Does the motor hum? if not and fuses are good put a volt meter on the two leads push the switch any voltage?if yes motor done if no then you need to ground one lead of the meter and try again up and down you get power in one direction then the switch or if you have relays that is the problem. power and ground are reversed to make the motor run in the other direction. if the motor is humming try jacking up the tt to relieve the tenssion then remove the motor and get the jack retracted good luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
tekman741

Motor does not humm and that's why I am thinking fuse. But will give it a shot with meter.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

GREAT when you push the switch power goes to one wire and the other is ground push the switch the other way and the wire that had power becomes ground so if you use a digital meter and all is well with the wireing. the meter will show +12 volts in one direction and -12 volts when the switch is pushed the other way. so if the fuse is good and the you get the correct results all wireing is ok and the motor is bad. sorry about the confusing first post i had about 10 interuptions. so this one is better thought out
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
tekman741

Thank for the reply, little ego boost I have one of them thar engineering degrees and work at emc as a debug tech tekman741=741 is an operation amplifier. Told ya ego boost but i did check it out and there is no power to the motor i ohmed out the motor too after disconnecting power/grnd=motor is fine. Fuse must be behind switch went hand over hand under trailer and could not find it. I ended up pulling the whole stabilizer system out.(pretty easy) the screw that extends the jacks seems bound up and i don't have the time nor tools to fix it so off to the dealer. It looks like this was not the first time the stabilizer has been removed. hummm warrenty???
Old 06-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
tekman741

up date

motor is fine gears in motor are stripped. local motor rewind co. will try to fix gear possibly under $50 ask what if motor needed rewind= avg rewind on a motor that size $150 to $200 better than $500 plus.