Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 06:48 AM   #1
RPRoberts

Microwave plug lost power??

I have a 2016 Keystone Hideout 272lhs.

This weekend while camping the microwave lost power. My wife said it was working when we arrived, as she set the clock. The next day we noticed no clock was showing and it wasn't getting any power.

Last night I pulled the microwave out and plugged it into a different outlet and it worked as it should. Tested the outlet and nothing? Checked the breaker and it was ok. Flipped it off and on to make sure. All other fuses and breakers were good too.

What do I check next?
RPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Turn that breaker off, pull the outlet and look for a loose wire. RV plugs use cheap outlets that rely on the Romex being fully seated in the blades. Common for one to come out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:36 AM   #3
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Turn that breaker off, pull the outlet and look for a loose wire. RV plugs use cheap outlets that rely on the Romex being fully seated in the blades. Common for one to come out.
And while you have the microwave out and are comfortable doing so, replace the box and receptacle with a residential style with screw clamps for the wires. Check the breaker and if it is 20-amp, get a good quality 20-amp one, like the Pro-Grade from Leviton. Ours was just a single plug receptacle behind the microwave but I just used a duplex because it was easier to find.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #4
RPRoberts

Found the issue....

Opened up the box that houses the plug and found the white wire was just laying in there. I've never seen a plug with these wire connections as the wires lay length wise down the back of the plug and are not secured in with screws, they just lay in channels and tension in the channel holds the wire.

I pushed the white wire back in its channel and plug is back working.

I didn't have a remodel electrical box and plug to replace it all with a standard residential style plug but will do so if it causes me problems again.

Thanks all for the comments
RPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:49 AM   #5
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRoberts View Post
Found the issue....

Opened up the box that houses the plug and found the white wire was just laying in there. I've never seen a plug with these wire connections as the wires lay length wise down the back of the plug and are not secured in with screws, they just lay in channels and tension in the channel holds the wire.

I didn't have a remodel electrical box and plug to replace it all with a standard residential style plug but will do so if it causes me problems again.

I'm glad you found and fixed the problem. I'd make a trip to the hardware store and have the parts ready to make a switch when the problem returns. There is a lot of current passing through a very small surface area, and I'd suspect after some heating and cooling from the high wattage microwave and bouncing down our "wonderful" PA highways, it could happen again.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRoberts View Post
Found the issue....

Had a similar issue with our outdoor outlet under the awning. Because of the connection on those outlets, I ended up replacing all 5 of them on the GFCI (and replaced the GFCI), using residential outlets and a shallow box for the walls. Instead of dealing with no power at the campground, I just went ahead and replaced them all while it was sitting in storage between camping trips. BTW, found 3 of the 5 outlets contains wires that were about to wiggle free. I really don't like those outlets.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #7
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Had a similar issue with our outdoor outlet under the awning. Because of the connection on those outlets, I ended up replacing all 5 of them on the GFCI (and replaced the GFCI), using residential outlets and a shallow box for the walls. Instead of dealing with no power at the campground, I just went ahead and replaced them all while it was sitting in storage between camping trips. BTW, found 3 of the 5 outlets contains wires that were about to wiggle free. I really don't like those outlets.
I think I'm up to four residential types and plan on slowly replacing all of the RV type outlets.
You in Suwanee, GA? We used to live around the corner near Cruse Rd. and Oakland Rd., 10 miles from downtown Suwanee.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:53 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Wired George has mentioned many times that he replaced the receptacle devises with home style devices and that seems like the best advice. I think it is not "if" but "when" for the compression fit receptacle will fail.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:58 AM   #9
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Wired George has mentioned many times that he replaced the receptacle devises with home style devices and that seems like the best advice. I think it is not "if" but "when" for the compression fit receptacle will fail.
Agreed and at the worst possible time too! Carlon makes a shallow old work box with the "ears" that flip up to grip the back of the wall and includes a side panel with extra room for wires.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:05 AM   #10
solv3nt

For receptacles, does the RV industry use standard depth receptacles, or are they some thin profile? IE, so we need to swap out the junction box?

2022 175BH

solv3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by solv3nt View Post
For receptacles, does the RV industry use standard depth receptacles, or are they some thin profile? IE, so we need to swap out the junction box?
The RV receptacle is the box and outlet all in one. You need to purchase the old work style outlet boxes with the "wings" that flip up and tighten to your wall/paneling to hold the box in place. Some spots, like behind the microwave, are easier than others. I replaced an outlet in the wall and required the shallow old work box and bought one with a side panel for extra wire space. They are blue and made by Carlon. Home Dept carries them, Lowes does not (in our area). Use a good quality receptacle matching the amp rating of your breaker - do not use ones with a "stab-in" in the back, only ones with clamp plates or wrap the wire around the screw.

Tags
power