Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #1
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

New to me

2021 368 MBI
First time wi
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
2021 368 MBI
First time wi
Person of few words.... you may want to put together a signature. Under UserCP top/left of each page. Year, make and model of camper & same for tow vehicle.

Your initial post didn't make much sense, by the way. Good luck and welcome.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:02 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
2021 368 MBI
First time wi
First time buyer?

First time seller?

First time wi (and omitted the "th a mortage")

OR ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:40 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Now I regret not taking that short hand class in school. Really showing my age with that one!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:27 AM   #5
rhagfo

Well maybe he was just trying to get to five post to make their profile visible for this discussion.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...041#post504041
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:35 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well maybe he was just trying to get to five post to make their profile visible for this discussion.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...041#post504041
Yeah Russ, saw your post on the fella's other thread. I can see his "about me" blurb ow so maybe you are onto something. Seems kinda non productive to not allow that info to be seen from the get-go.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:37 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

A 40' 14K GVW trailer seems a bit much for a 2500 Diesel to carry. Pin weight around 3,200 lbs + hitch. I'm guessing your truck is a bit over it's payload and likely over the rear axle limits. just something to consider.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #8
Camping family

Welcome and enjoy. Like others stated put in a signature telling us about your camper and maybe where your from. It’s just to let everyone know a little something.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #9
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

Sorry guys I was trying to make the post using my phone when I lost my cell signal.
Anyway I was going to say this was our first time out on the road with this 5wh wheel. The truck tows it like a dream, not much different than my 25' TT except for the length which I'm getting used to.
I was wondering if anyone knows where the access is for the slide-out mechanisms on this particular trailer in case I ever have any issues.
I've seen the mechanism for the front bedroom and it looks like it's under the bed, I haven't checked yet. The ones I'm more curious about are the ones for the kitchen and the dinette which must be underneath somewhere.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Sorry guys I was trying to make the post using my phone when I lost my cell signal.
Anyway I was going to say this was our first time out on the road with this 5wh wheel. The truck tows it like a dream, not much different than my 25' TT except for the length which I'm getting used to.
I was wondering if anyone knows where the access is for the slide-out mechanisms on this particular trailer in case I ever have any issues.
I've seen the mechanism for the front bedroom and it looks like it's under the bed, I haven't checked yet. The ones I'm more curious about are the ones for the kitchen and the dinette which must be underneath somewhere.
If you put together a signature, it would sure help figure out which camper you have at a glance. Year, make and model of your camper and same for tow vehicle. This guy explains the different slide technologies. On my old Cougar, we have a through frame rack and pinion which is the second explained on the video. My trailer wasn't designed to make it easy to manually retract or extend the slide. There is a nut on the end of a shaft that has to be turned a zillion times and no room for an electric drill with a socket. I know because I have done it. The motor that the guy talks about is a unit with some plastic gears which are what stripped out. Easy fix. Some campers have a hole in the side adjacent to the nut I mention which make it easy to manually retract/open the slide. Keep in mind a very large and wide slide like mine may need to be jacked up an inch or so to get it moving as there is a bunch of weight on it.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #11
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

I have filled in what I thought were the appropriate spaces on my profile page so I don't know why it doesn't display.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I have filled in what I thought were the appropriate spaces on my profile page so I don't know why it doesn't display.
John, Your "about me" when someone clicks on your username as you post does show. To add a signature, UserCP, upper left on every page. Click and add your signature then make sure you save it. I put a signature on my posts so I wouldn't look like a newbie.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:16 AM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Yep, "Tows Like a Dream" you have the power, but you likely have only about 2,000# of payload on your 2017 Ram Cummins. Check the door Payload Sticker, should be yellow, it states maximum payload, this check the white VIN sticker for the Rear and Front GAWR, those are both numbers you don't want to exceed. Been there done that and got the T-shirt.

Our 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD pulled our almost 13,000# 5th wheel with a 2,700# pin just fine. But based on the 8,800# GVWR I was 1,700# over GVWR at a GVW of 10,500#.

Yes, towed fine, BUT I was always concerned that some nut would cause an accident, and I would be held liable because I was exceeding the "Safe" GVWR.
Now I have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, and it tows like a dream!

These are the payload and VIN stickers from my 3500 DRW.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:26 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Go to "user CP" drop to "edit signature" add year, make, model of your rv & tow vehicle then to the bottom of the page to "save changes".
The only thing I could see on your profile was a plate of food?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Go to "user CP" drop to "edit signature" add year, make, model of your rv & tow vehicle then to the bottom of the page to "save changes".
The only thing I could see on your profile was a plate of food?
You need to scroll down a bit to see the profile tabs.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #16
Canonman

From Utah
I grew up in LV and haven't missed it since moving to Utah over 20 years ago.
That's a big nice 5er you've got there. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Sorry I can't help wit your slide question. Ours are both BAL Accuslide and the motors are easy to find.
Come up and visit in cool mountain air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9637-2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	40421  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #17
Gr8bawana
Gone Traveling

I'm going to ignore the comments from the "payload police" because I didn't ask for any advice or comments about that subject.
If you can't help with the question about the slides it's quite alright.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:13 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I'm going to ignore the comments from the "payload police" because I didn't ask for any advice or comments about that subject.

It's obviously your choice to ignore the weight comments but you should consider them and sleep on them even if you didn't ask. Lots of folks don't know when they are overweight and appreciate it when they're told; you will be overweight. I looked at the 368mbi because my wife liked them, I wouldn't consider one because I only had a 3/4 ton truck...with a gas engine which would have given me several hundred pounds more payload than you have. Mull it over and think about those in the truck with you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:46 PM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
You wanted the locations of slide mechanisms for "just in case", but now have chosen to ignore the "facts" that your truck "is" overloaded. So "just in case" your in accident, God forbid, you now know you may be liable for being overweight.
Safe travels!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Yep, "Tows Like a Dream" you have the power, but you likely have only about 2,000# of payload on your 2017 Ram Cummins. Check the door Payload Sticker, should be yellow, it states maximum payload, this check the white VIN sticker for the Rear and Front GAWR, those are both numbers you don't want to exceed. Been there done that and got the T-shirt.

Our 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD pulled our almost 13,000# 5th wheel with a 2,700# pin just fine. But based on the 8,800# GVWR I was 1,700# over GVWR at a GVW of 10,500#.

Yes, towed fine, BUT I was always concerned that some nut would cause an accident, and I would be held liable because I was exceeding the "Safe" GVWR.
Now I have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, and it tows like a dream!

These are the payload and VIN stickers from my 3500 DRW.

I am sure I am the "Weight Police" you are referring to, due to the post above. The members of the sight team and senior members are likely laughing their A$$s off at your comment.
Maybe you missed the comment in red above. When we bought our current 5th wheel we had a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD and camper package and optional larger tires. The tires nor camper package did anything to change the 8,800# GVWR!
The truck with me and DW, dog (30#),hitch, and in bed tool box, the truck weighed 7,800#The truck didn't have air bags just the extra spring for the camper package.
When we went to buy the camper, before we signed the papers, had had them let me hook it up to see if we had any "squat", well darn, the truck was still a little A$$ high, so we signed and headed on the 225 mile trip home! Yep pulled fine, zero issues handled great.
Loaded it also handled great. That is the "Catch 22" of towing a 5th wheel. It won't tell you that you are over payload, or axle, or even tire rating

I never really liked being over GVWR, even at 1,700# over GVRW I was within both axle and all tire ratings.
What bothered me was being in an crash, that wasn't my fault, and being found liable because I was overweight.

We are not here to rain on your parade, but to give you thoughtful advice.

It is personal choice to tow over any rating, but it is also written several times in the "Owners manual" and "Towing Guides".

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf