Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2022, 05:40 AM   #1
Courser Farm

Converter issues

Hi gurus. We are On the road and we are pretty sure our converter has failed. We realized the voltage was dropping over a day or two. Suddenly last night it was down to 9v. We had been gone all day and we have been on shore power for 4 days. Batteries are deep cycle marine/rv …. And less than one year old. We put them on a charger last night and they ran up to 17 by morning. After running furnace etc still at 13.6 right now CHARGER UNPLUGGED. So we are unprofessionally convinced that our converter is dead and that the batteries are only charging while connected to the truck or to the battery charger. Long way to ask if we are going to hurt anything by frequently re-charging them by the charger. Is there back-feed to worry about like to the computer system? Appreciate your advice TIA
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:08 AM   #2
bsmith0404

13.6 is where they should be charged from the converter, that’s normal. If they drop below that, I’d say then maybe, but if your lights and everything are working, then I doubt it’s a converter problem. In theory, you can run everything off the converter, without a battery, when connected to shore power. It’s possible it’s just a fuse between the converter and battery. To answer your question, no you won’t hurt anything by charging the batteries every couple days with a charger as long as you don’t let the batteries run down too low. Now charging to 17 volts could damage the batteries, that’s an over charge condition.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

First thing is to check that no battery switch may have inadvertently been turned off and that the converter breaker is not tripped. Cycle the breaker by flipping it fully off then back on. Then check the battery voltage. If no change in voltage then I would turn the converter off (flip the CON breaker off) and connect the external charger. Then when you get home diagnose the converter.

As a side note, if your batteries are the dealer provided "deep cycle combo) batteries they aren't true deep cycle batteries. Discharging them down to 9 volts has damaged them and likely severely. If the converter is defective then I would replace the batteries as well. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging a new converter if the plates in the battery are warped and end up shorting.

This might be an opportunity to upgrade to 2 6 vdc golf cart batteries wired in series or other options depending on use.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #4
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Hi gurus. We are On the road and we are pretty sure our converter has failed. We realized the voltage was dropping over a day or two. Suddenly last night it was down to 9v. We had been gone all day and we have been on shore power for 4 days. Batteries are deep cycle marine/rv …. And less than one year old. We put them on a charger last night and they ran up to 17 by morning. After running furnace etc still at 13.6 right now CHARGER UNPLUGGED. So we are unprofessionally convinced that our converter is dead and that the batteries are only charging while connected to the truck or to the battery charger. Long way to ask if we are going to hurt anything by frequently re-charging them by the charger. Is there back-feed to worry about like to the computer system? Appreciate your advice TIA
Thanks. Yes when we got back yesterday there was a warning on the InCommand about low voltage. And the lights were very dim. You have given us good advice. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #5
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First thing is to check that no battery switch may have inadvertently been turned off and that the converter breaker is not tripped. Cycle the breaker by flipping it fully off then back on. Then check the battery voltage. If no change in voltage then I would turn the converter off (flip the CON breaker off) and connect the external charger. Then when you get home diagnose the converter.

As a side note, if your batteries are the dealer provided "deep cycle combo) batteries they aren't true deep cycle batteries. Discharging them down to 9 volts has damaged them and likely severely. If the converter is defective then I would replace the batteries as well. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging a new converter if the plates in the battery are warped and end up shorting.

This might be an opportunity to upgrade to 2 6 vdc golf cart batteries wired in series or other options depending on use.
Thank you flybuoy. More things to consider and so helpful.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:41 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Keep an eye on the electrolyte level (battery water) regularly until you get back. 17 volts his high but I don't know where you got that reading or the charge profile of the charger you are using and what setting it's on. Do not use the start or boost function if the charger is so equipped. If the charger is actually charging above 15 amps then I wouldn't leave it on constantly as it'll boil the water out of the batteries. The above can be triggered if if a battery has a shorted cell.

The best option is to pull the batteries and have them load tested. Next best option is to buy a battery hydrometer and check each cell. You can buy a hydrometer for <$10 at any autoparts store, Walmart, and many gas stations/convenience stores. I keep one in my toolbox wherever I go.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:15 AM   #7
Courser Farm

Quote:
Keep an eye on the electrolyte level (battery water) regularly until you get back. 17 volts his high but I don't know where you got that reading or the charge profile of the charger you are using and what setting it's on. Do not use the start or boost function if the charger is so equipped. If the charger is actually charging above 15 amps then I wouldn't leave it on constantly as it'll boil the water out of the batteries. The above can be triggered if if a battery has a shorted cell.

The best option is to pull the batteries and have them load tested. Next best option is to buy a battery hydrometer and check each cell. You can buy a hydrometer for <$10 at any autoparts store, Walmart, and many gas stations/convenience stores. I keep one in my toolbox wherever I go.
Good things to think on. These are sealed batteries so cannot check water/ acid level. Taking all these helpful suggestions to heart.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Not all sealed batteries are truly sealed. Often they will have a flat cover that covers all the cells that can be pried off. On my 12v deep cycle battery from Napa the label across the top of the battery covers six flush screw in caps recessed into the top of the battery.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:20 AM   #9
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
These are sealed batteries so cannot check water/ acid level. Taking all these helpful suggestions to heart.
Quote:
Not all sealed batteries are truly sealed. Often they will have a flat cover that covers all the cells that can be pried off.

An old mechanic friend of mine had a saying about those so call sealed batteries.
He told me "They may be maintenance free, but they ain't maintenance impossible".

Tags
converter