Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Annual Maintenance

Well I finally got around to starting my annual wheel bearing maintenance today. Also decided to go ahead and check the spring bushings as well. I plan to upgrade the suspension next year, but figured maybe I better check everything over and see if I need to bite the bullet this year. It’s been a couple years since I checked the suspension. What did I find?

Brakes and wheel bearings look great. Brake shoes are starting to get thin, but still good enough for this years travel plans. Might do the disc brake upgrade next year when they need changing.

The suspension bushings are doing really good as well. A couple on the spring ends are starting to elongate a little, but will get me through till next year when I upgrade the suspension.

I also have two grease zeros that were always difficult to get them to take grease. They would take it, but always squeezed grease out around the zerk and the gun end. After a little investigation I discovered that the center bore on those two zerks is smaller. I replaced them with ones that have a larger center bore and everything works great. My only question is why did I fight those damn things for 9 years?

All in all, I’m pretty impressed. This is all the original equipment on the RV. 9 years old and I don’t know how many thousands of miles anymore, I’ll guess between 50-60k. This goes to show that original parts will last a long time if properly maintained. For newbies out there, learn how to maintain your equipment. Nobody will take better care of your trailer than you do. If you maintain it properly, you will have many years of enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03FF3043-1CA0-44C5-A9B8-CC1460E8A141.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	39845   Click image for larger version

Name:	43395A07-B003-4BBC-8DBA-7310725CA1D9.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	39846   Click image for larger version

Name:	44606944-0A33-47C8-AF58-D65EEB1B309E.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	39847  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
roadglide

Wet bolts last a long time . I have hell with brakes It’s starting from the dealer when the wire rubbed on a tire from elkhart . I caught it before my first trip . I do a yearly inspection close to the same miles as your rig. Shoes on my camper gets scored and chunks of material missing. I replaced brakes last month and decide to try the Burnishing method. I hope this will add life to my new brakes . I have added three sets of brakes in 7 years probably 60,000 miles miles on my impact. I’m not going to change the spring until one breaks I’m having good luck with you luck with them as .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I think my truck has been a big key to the life of my brakes. I’ve pulled this 5er with 3 different trucks, but all of them have had the exhaust brake. The truck does most of the braking. Even coming down mountain passes I very seldom have to touch the brakes. I’m sure if I didn’t have the exhaust brake, I would have replaced the brakes on the camper at least once.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance