Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2022, 06:10 AM   #1
flyingjack

Roof cleaner/sealants

Anybody have any real world experience comparing 303 to the high end Dicor cleaning/acrylic sealers for rubber roofs?

Colo. high altitude/intense sun is definitely far worse than Austin, TX climate on RV roofs. Live in CO and worked in TX for 6+ years.

Used 303 sealant on our 2013 Mountaineer as roof got older and seemed to be fine. Regarding our 2022 HC Montana: stopped at RV local parts store/salvage yard and they recommended Dicor cleaner and acrylic roof coating= about 6Xs the price. I'm OK with spending money if it really works as advertised.

Thanks for suggestions/opinions.

Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:27 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I use Dicor cleaner regularly but what is the "acrylic roof coating" you refer to? Can you link? The one I find says specifically it's not made for EPDM or TPO roofing material.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
Lee

Hi,

I only have experience with the 303..... Applied x2 yearly after a washing with the blue Dawn dish soap. Roof still looks as good as it did day 1 mins years ago.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
Anybody have any real world experience comparing 303 to the high end Dicor cleaning/acrylic sealers for rubber roofs?

Colo. high altitude/intense sun is definitely far worse than Austin, TX climate on RV roofs. Live in CO and worked in TX for 6+ years.

Used 303 sealant on our 2013 Mountaineer as roof got older and seemed to be fine. Regarding our 2022 HC Montana: stopped at RV local parts store/salvage yard and they recommended Dicor cleaner and acrylic roof coating= about 6Xs the price. I'm OK with spending money if it really works as advertised.

Thanks for suggestions/opinions.

Jack
Sales of "high end cleaners and sealants" is a lucrative profit maker for any RV dealer. No wonder they'd recommend you buy lots of their most expensive product, whether you need it or not.....

Your Montana HC has an Alpha Systems SuperFlex TPO roofing membrane.
It's covered by a 18 year "limited warranty". You can review the warranty on their website at https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploa...d-Warranty.pdf

The "disclaimer that gets people in trouble" is this little "snippet from the warranty":

Although Alpha's limited warranty is not voided if another manufacturer's sealants, adhesives, tapes or related products are used on the Alpha Roof Membrane, Alpha retains the right to deny liability for any defects or damages caused by another manufacturer's products. Alpha recommends that Purchasers and manufacturers use Alpha’s sealants, adhesives, tapes and other related products as Alpha is confident regarding the quality of its products.

While lots of people use a variety of products on their roofs, ranging from 409 cleaner to Soft Scrub with Clorox to anything between, most use Dawn blue dish soap with hot water, elbow grease and a garden hose to rinse the roof after scrubbing. Some then coat with Goodyear 303, some don't. The manufacturer says that it's not necessary to use any "protective coating" so I'd guess it's more a "feel good activity" than a needed protection. After all, how many of us are going to own our RV eighteen years from now ???

That said, checking the seams, the sealant beads and the moldings around the roof and EVERYTHING that goes through the roof on a regular basis is vital to preventing leaks. Even in the desert where it only rains 2" a year, the rest of the days, the sun is working to damage the sealant beads, so when that 2" finally arrives, knowing it's not going to leak through a sun damaged sealant layer is a reassuring feeling.

Here's the link for the roofing manufacturer. Take a look and see if you really want to use a DICOR product on an Alpha Systems product..... https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
gearhead

I used Dawn once.
All I use now is Wet & Forget.
Hey...put some Tony's on my popcorn.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
Gegrad

I have the TPO roof, and though I am not original owner of my trailer, I exclusively use the Alpha lap sealant during my roof inspections/re-seal work. Basically the same price as DiCor, and it is the product the manufactuer reccomends, so as John references, why not use it?

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Alpha-...s%2C348&sr=8-1
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:59 AM   #7
flyingjack

For the last 10 yrs; clean with Dawn and seal with 303 usually twice a year.

Sourdough: didn't look into Dicor product info yet: from pic of can "For EPDM Rubber Roof Membranes" and "For PVC Roof" and "Acrylic Roof Coat".

John, normally don't read most warranties in detail; so, thank you for info. I can't imagine Alpha products are better/worse than competitors so we'll switch to Dawn cleaning and Alpha products for future.

Thanks to all info/opinions.

Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof