Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2022, 07:02 AM   #21
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation View Post
Yes Sir, pretty much sums it up nowadays. If you can listen and see, Youtube pretty much explains all.
Yup - one of the best mechanic and DIY aids for a guy like me... Ive fixed the wifes washer, fridge, dryer, etc using youtube videos as aids...

Of course you have gotta have some skills to go along with the videos or a manual but it does make life easier...

The RV furnace is not that hard to TS and repair.. especially if you have one with a front access panel.. I don't so if I need to work on mine the task requires me to empty half the basement to get the rear wall down and then crawl back in there and take things off so I can get the furnace out to work on it...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

And if it’s a warranty repair you DONT get paid for the time it takes to remove all the customers “stuff” so you can access/ work on it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:45 AM   #23
Army Paladin

Well this can be a tricky item to work on. Here is what I went through a couple months ago.
I was in Kentucky helping with the tornado damage and all seemed good to go. I did not know that it was possible that propane could freeze and when the temps got down to single digits is when things went wonky. It was an intermediate trouble with the furnace and I would smell gas every once in a while. Just thought it was cycling and pushed a little gas out before ignition but it did seem to get worse outside. The furnace would run a day or two and then not at all. Meaning it would try to but not ignite. I soaped the fittings at the tanks and had a small bubbler on one hose I replaced last year. It sucks when you touch it and it works for a day or and hour or till midnight and then it is freezing without the furnace. I did have space heaters working so it was not to bad. I took the domintic furnace out checked it out and even took it to a shop which they bench tested it for a full day. No issues for them. Put it back in and danged if it worked fine. For a day or two. Lol. Started over again and soaped everything I could see and found the regulator at the tanks was leaking at a seam. Talked to a couple of folks and I realized that these systems are a little smarter that we give them credit for. Since the regulator at the tank was leaking the furnace seemed to know that there was not enough pressure there to operate properly. I replace the tank reg and had no more problems for the last week of use.
It is one of those things that seems to be true about mist every RV out there. For every shop I talked to, 3 of them, everyone came up with a different fix for what may be wrong or what is causing the problem. Just hope you don’t freeze before you get it fixed.
Just remember to have fun and keep RVing.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:50 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Paladin View Post
Well this can be a tricky item to work on. Here is what I went through a couple months ago.
I was in Kentucky helping with the tornado damage and all seemed good to go. I did not know that it was possible that propane could freeze and when the temps got down to single digits is when things went wonky. It was an intermediate trouble with the furnace and I would smell gas every once in a while. Just thought it was cycling and pushed a little gas out before ignition but it did seem to get worse outside. The furnace would run a day or two and then not at all. Meaning it would try to but not ignite. I soaped the fittings at the tanks and had a small bubbler on one hose I replaced last year. It sucks when you touch it and it works for a day or and hour or till midnight and then it is freezing without the furnace. I did have space heaters working so it was not to bad. I took the domintic furnace out checked it out and even took it to a shop which they bench tested it for a full day. No issues for them. Put it back in and danged if it worked fine. For a day or two. Lol. Started over again and soaped everything I could see and found the regulator at the tanks was leaking at a seam. Talked to a couple of folks and I realized that these systems are a little smarter that we give them credit for. Since the regulator at the tank was leaking the furnace seemed to know that there was not enough pressure there to operate properly. I replace the tank reg and had no more problems for the last week of use.
It is one of those things that seems to be true about mist every RV out there. For every shop I talked to, 3 of them, everyone came up with a different fix for what may be wrong or what is causing the problem. Just hope you don’t freeze before you get it fixed.

The regulator is actually what can freeze…little chance of the propane itself freezing unless it was - 44 F

It’s one of those issues that is best figured out when it’s actually frozen…after it thaws it’s just a guess as what caused the hiccup
Old 02-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Just to clarify on the "propane freezing". Like Jasin stated it doesn’t freeze. Propane appliances can only burn propane in a gaseous state. It's compressed into a liquid and stored under high pressure in tanks. The liquid propane boils at a low temperature and the regulator controls the pressure of the gas. When outside temperatures get below freezing the liquid propane may not boil off fast enough to sufficiantly supply enough gas. You can by propane tank heaters for cold weather use to prevent the issue from occurring.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #26
Hank47

Just finished with my rv furnace issues. Had it bench tested- worked fine every time. Got a recall notice for main propane regulator defect. Tested. regulator - not consistently providing 11” gas pressure.
Just got trailer back- confident that problem resolved.
Hank47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #27
SC GT Yellow Jacket

I have a very similar issue which has persisted for two years. My furnace ignites on first start, runs to setpoint and shuts off. When temperature falls enough to call for more heat, the blower starts, then the ignitor may or may not turn on. I have had it in to the dealer twice to fix this, and they can not reproduce the problem. My dealer is 120 miles from my home so I usually can not be there at the time they test the unit. They state they have had all their top technicians looking at the problem but can not make it duplicate. Then I take it on the road and it fails every time.
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #28
TomTerrific

Replace the resettable 15a fuse (it's black)with a regular 15a quick blo.. I posted on forum a month ago. Sorry you spent so much money for nothing.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #29
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Replace the resettable 15a fuse (it's black)with a regular 15a quick blo.. I posted on forum a month ago. Sorry you spent so much money for nothing.
What, and who, are you referring to?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #30
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Paladin View Post
Exactly one reason Sir I only use one tank at a time. Not laughing at your problems it's just on another thread about the propane valve it got pretty interesting about peoples preference with leaving both tanks open or just one.

Tags
furnace