Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
Cjblodgett

Don't laugh but I dropped a brush into black tank, help!

Okay, be nice. You can laugh but please help with a solution short of replacing the black tank on my 2521 Passport TT. The DW, (okay me), was cleaning the toilet with a brush when the head of the brush came off in the tube. It is now in the tank, I think, since I cannot see it. We emptied the black tank and nothing came out. Anybody with any genius ideas on how to retrieve toilet brush head from the black tank?
Cjblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
Canonman

If your toilet drain is plumbed straight down into the black tank a "grabber tool" might work. One like this is under $10 on Amazon.
It's 32" long but I didn't see a dimension for the width of the jaws when closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51G62hUWEdS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	37824  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
LHaven

The one I have here at my desk is just under 2" closed, which would fit easily down the hopper. But it isn't the telescoping(?) one shown in your photo, which looks a tad bigger.

What's going to complicate this is that the brush head is probably down near the pipe exit by now, not under the hopper. It may take angled mirror on a slat, or HF industrial proctoscope to figure out where it is, then an electrician snake to hook it.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
snoobler

Am I somehow a sinner because I see this as a non-issue for the most part? The only problem I see is it might jam the valve when trying to close, but at least then, you'll know where it is.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #5
Laredo Tugger

If you think the brush head might float try CAREFULLY filling the tank with the tank flush system. Coordinate with someone on the valve control when you get near full. A couple of on/ off burst of the valve may swirl the brush head into a position where you can see and retrieve it.
Just an idea. Never been tried that I've heard of but then who would admit it.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #6
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobler View Post
Am I somehow a sinner because I see this as a non-issue for the most part? The only problem I see is it might jam the valve when trying to close, but at least then, you'll know where it is.
Pretty sure the brush would clog the drain pipe ahead of the dump valve. Solids and paper could build up around the brush and prevent a proper "flush"
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:31 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobler View Post
There's a post somewhere here where an owner found a hammer head (from the factory) stuck in the outflow pipe. It couldn't come out the pipe end, and so had to be fished out the long way.

If I had just done something that set me up for the same kind of experience, I'd take care of it before it got to that point.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #8
locomech

I would try using one of those cleaning wands to try and blast the head back toward the toilet down tube, then use the grabber tool to retrieve it.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
I would try using one of those cleaning wands to try and blast the head back toward the toilet down tube, then use the grabber tool to retrieve it.
From an engineering standpoint, this is the obvious solution. The problem is that it is accompanied by a very high yuck factor.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #10
notanlines

I'm not sure if the 'yuck factor' can be taken in consideration from this point forward. If it was a large concern then a two piece brush/wand wouldn't have been used to begin with. OP needs to just 'get with the program' so to speak and try some of these good ideas. Latex gloves and a quick rinse and get the talking part done with. All in the name of 'He'll have a story to tell."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
All in the name of 'He'll have a story to tell."
You could get a genuine viral video out of pressure-washing a pooper.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #12
Cjblodgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
From an engineering standpoint, this is the obvious solution. The problem is that it is accompanied by a very high yuck factor.
This whole situation has given me the yucks.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

There have been some good ideas here, maybe the most pertinent is to get over any kind of worry about getting "yucky" because you will unless very lucky. Another is to get it done quickly; every time you use the toilet the stuff in that brush is just going to build up then get more and more "ugly" and unpleasant to pull out.

The composition of the brush would be good to know; will it float, will it sink? That would affect the way you would approach the dilemma I would imagine. I also think the longer it's in there the more it will impede and block the contents; heck, even toilet paper does that.

I don't know where you are but those little grabbers in post #2 are also sold at our local ACE hardware (along with a couple of other kinds). I believe they were over in the lawn/yard/garden area when I was looking at them the other day.

Depending on the material in the brush you may be able to push it back from the outlet via an external flush, float it by using the tank flush or whatever other means you come up with. However you accomplish the feat I doubt it will smell like rose petals. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #14
German Shepherd Guy

A light lowered into the tank. Mechanics have small cameras mounted on flexable cable to see into hard to get areas. One of those. Locate Brush. A very thin flexable fly rod with a three headed hook tied on the end.
Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #15
Cjblodgett

Thank you everybody. I have ordered a pressure flex hose (since the toilet is offset) and will be going on my Nextdoor feed to find a snake/auger. I will get into my coveralls, gloves, mask, and all things "coverage" to dive in. I will let you know how it goes. The moral of the story is not to be such a good "housekeeper". LOL.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjblodgett View Post
Thank you everybody. I have ordered a pressure flex hose (since the toilet is offset) and will be going on my Nextdoor feed to find a snake/auger. I will get into my coveralls, gloves, mask, and all things "coverage" to dive in. I will let you know how it goes. The moral of the story is not to be such a good "housekeeper". LOL.
I figured you have already heard enough dumb suggestions but I was going to tell you to ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES and go for it. You will need to talk someone into holding the toilet ball open and hope they like you well enough where they won't take a picture and blackmail you in the future.

I would personally straighten a coat hanger and fish while my wife holds the ball open and laughs at me (a lot).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:58 PM   #17
NH_Bulldog

A couple of years ago I bought an endoscope. It has a 6’ long flexible articulated shaft with a camera and light (variable brightness) on the end that connects wirelessly to a smartphone. It also came with a few attachments that snap onto the end, one of which is a hook. It is waterproof and submersible so it’s okay to use it in your tank. I would suggest trying one and first locate the brush head, then develop a plan to pull it back up and out. Easy to find on Amazon for $50 or less. I have found dozens of uses for it in the camper and at home, it is awesome.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #18
Cjblodgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I figured you have already heard enough dumb suggestions but I was going to tell you to ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES and go for it. You will need to talk someone into holding the toilet ball open and hope they like you well enough where they won't take a picture and blackmail you in the future.

I would personally straighten a coat hanger and fish while my wife holds the ball open and laughs at me (a lot).
You may see me on a YouTube video, for sure.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #19
boatguy

One of these will help you tremendously .

Oiiwak Industrial Endoscope 5.5mm .

https://www.amazon.com/Oiiwak-Indust...s%2C166&sr=8-3

You will find it, and quite possibly grab it with the "hook" or magnet end .

I have one and it works great and comes in handy for lots of head scratchers ! Cheap and effective .

Good Luck !
Old 01-11-2022, 05:17 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've got "lots of time and no professional tools to use" you might consider a length of 12 pound test fishing line, a treble hook and a bobber. Tie the hook to the end of the line, put the bobber an inch or so above the hook, turn off the water to the toilet, step on the foot pedal, lower the "hook, line and bobber" into the holding tank. Then turn on the black tank flush, it will "push the bobber around in the tank" and hopefully, the water currents will push the bobber into the brush. If you're "sort of lucky" a "round, red/white ball bobber" will roll around in the black tank, dragging the hook behind it and hopefully snag the brush head.

You may spend a couple hours "fishing", but this time of year, most places, boats won't float in the water and it's too cold to sit "out on the ice" so, might as well take up a new hobby, "toilet fishing in the comfort of your own RV".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, foreign object in tank, oops, tank