Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
captdan

Best truck for towing a Cougar 26RBS

I have recently purchased a Cougar 26RBS. I have a F150 with a 2.7 twin turbo and I would like to know what would be the best truck for towing my new camper. It has an unloaded weight of 6600 pounds and a maximum weight of 8800 pounds. I do have a weight distribution hitch.
captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
Marinerjoe

Hi CAPT Dan,

I likewise just purchased a 26RBS, and am currently pulling it with a 2016 F150 3.5 EcoBoost. I have a F350 on order to provide me with a substantial payload buffer, but have no idea when it’ll come in.

IMHO, you’re probably going to be wanting at least a 3.5 EcoBoost, but more likely a F250 for a more relaxing drive.

FYI, I am using the Andersen WDH and it’s working great!

Joe
TV: 2022 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB
Marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
Canonman

Welcome!! Captain
We also had a 27' travel trailer with a GVW around 8k pounds. Our F150 with the 5.4L V8 pulled our TT pretty well but our Ram diesel pulled it a lot better.
I think you will find that your F150 will pull your Cougar but you'll probably not be real happy with the RPMs needed to climb even moderate grades. You'll be working that motor and transmission pretty hard most of the time.
IMHO Ford's idea of using a turbocharged small 6 was good for gas mileage but not so good for towing.
If you are considering upgrading your 150 I'd recommend you look seriously at a diesel
Especially if you consider you might upgrade to a larger trailer in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	37116  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
travelin texans

If you're considering a 250/2500 just skip that step & go to the 350/3500, the cost difference is minimal, the ride & mpg are the same as the 3/4 tons but the payload increase is much greater so when you decide to upgrade to a bigger RV you won't have to also trade trucks again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdan View Post
I have recently purchased a Cougar 26RBS. I have a F150 with a 2.7 twin turbo and I would like to know what would be the best truck for towing my new camper. It has an unloaded weight of 6600 pounds and a maximum weight of 8800 pounds. I do have a weight distribution hitch.
30' of trailer and an F150 is not the ideal combination. A trailer with a GVWR of 8800 lbs. makes it even less appealing. You will need to provide more info on your tow vehicle should you want to give towing this trailer a go. On the other hand, if you are going to upgrade, you may as well go straight to a 1-ton, as others have said. Additional payload capacity (over the 3/4) is always a good thing.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
Lindyn

I only pull with GM Diesel, Duramax, I would recommend, 2500HD. Many will move up to larger 5th wheel, the 2500HD Duramax is an awesome Truck. Concurrently I towing will a 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD, DRW's, towing a 2021 Montana 3762BP, 15,980 loaded to travel, total weight is 26,180.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
Roper46

Just yesterday I went to my local GMC dealer and put my order in for a 2022 GMC SLT 3500 SRW. Got a trade in value for my paid in full Ram of 65k. They estimated six to eight weeks. But I won't hold my breath for that.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

I keep seeing a commercial of some Chevy truck pulling and Airstream and playing patty cake or such (hands free) and passing a guy on a suspension bridge with his hands off the wheel and minimal attention to driving. ARGHGHGH. Who thinks of these things? Chevy should have stuck with the camera system that makes your trailer invisible or their articulated tail gate. You buy a truck to haul or tow. These gizmos are overkill in a truck.

All the manufacturers make decent trucks. "What I got" tends to be what you will hear for advice so this advice is what it is. 8800 gross weight on a bumper pull will mean about 1144 lbs payload on the hitch. Add weight of hitch and passengers and "stuff" in the truck and bingo, you just may be out of payload or so close it won't be fun to drive.

What is the payload of you Ford. Look for yellow/white placard in driver door frame. Also a trailer that long will tend to get wagged if pulled by a short wheelbase and light truck. As has been noted, camping will be more fun if your knuckles aren't white getting there so get a one ton and pull with ease. It ain't about power or tow ratings (fiction), it is about payload and a stout truck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
dutchmensport

Quote:
.... what would be the best truck for towing my new camper. ...

The biggest, baddest, most ferocious truck mankind ever made! You'll never regret towing with more truck than you "think" you need.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #10
TimC

Quote:
I’m not one of those people who is against towing with a half-ton. In fact, my 26rbs is supposed to deliver within a few weeks (we’ll see) and I plan to tow with my F-150. But, it will be pushing the payload limits of my truck for sure.

I believe I will be able to stay within the payload capacity, but I’m also putting extra effort into doing that. I have a tongue scale and regularly visit cat scales, so I can adjust my trailer loading to be at a good safe tongue weight based on the actual weight of my trailer and prevent going too heavy on the tongue. I also will not be loading up the truck with other stuff (not sure why people have problems with this part… can’t fit your stuff in the 30’ trailer???).

My point is, I believe a properly configured half-ton can safely tow this trailer, but it’s going to take extra effort to stay within the limits, so knowing your payload capacity and weighing everything is important. And you definitely won’t have as much flexibility as you would with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #11
captdan

Thanks everyone for the replies! My 2020 Cougar RKS is currently in storage and I will get it in the spring. The campground I will keep it at this year is only about 30 minutes away and there isn't any high speed driving involved. We will be looking at whether or not to trade my 150 in for a larger truck at some point in the future because after this year we do plan on hitting the road again. We will be staying put this summer until the treat of Covid is reduced. The previous owner has a 150 diesel and he had no trouble towing the trailer. I'm thinking at least a F250 or F350 will be the final move.
captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:08 PM   #12
mikec557

Quote:
We have a 2020 26RBSWE, the western version of your new trailer. Would it be self serving if I recommended what we use? I hope not. We pull with a 2018 GMC 3500hd Duramax. Love, love, love pulling this trailer with that much power. And as others have pointed out, the cargo carrying capacity is more than you'll ever need (unless you go big 5th wheel, LOL).
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:33 AM   #13
Kingpin

I have the same set up and have no problem pulling with my F150 2.7 TwinTurbo I upgrade the truck with air bags to take out the squad I only run 60 miles an hour been doing it for two years and have not had a problem I leave plenty of space between the vehicle in front of me and it stops like it should my truck maxes out at 8500 pounds and I’m nowhere near that I also Run a weight distribution hitch truck has plenty of power I would suggest trying it on a short trip and see what you think just my two cents
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
I have the same set up and have no problem pulling with my F150 2.7 TwinTurbo I upgrade the truck with air bags to take out the squad I only run 60 miles an hour been doing it for two years and have not had a problem I leave plenty of space between the vehicle in front of me and it stops like it should my truck maxes out at 8500 pounds and I’m nowhere near that I also Run a weight distribution hitch truck has plenty of power I would suggest trying it on a short trip and see what you think just my two cents

You didn't mention your payload per the yellow/white placard in your door frame. Your first post so welcome but take care advising air bags to help with the fact your payload may not be sufficient to haul your trailer. Air bags won't increase your payload. Driving slow and having a wonderful hitch won't make your payload sufficient. Anyway, stay safe and tell us what your actual payload placard says.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #15
travelin texans

Any TT with an 8000lb GVWR will have a tongue weight of 1000lbs+ (13% of the GVWR) on a typical 1/2 ton pickup with a payload of 1500-1600lbs, newer ones are higher rated, which only leaves 500lbs +/- for people, pets & other stuff in the truck.
As mentioned numerous time in the past the max tow rating of any truck & the dry weight of any rv are ABSOLUTELY meaningless numbers in the real rv world. The payload posted on YOUR truck & the GVWR posted on YOUR rv are the numbers to calculate from.
Also as mentioned 100s of times there's ABSOLUTELY nothing you're able to add to your truck to increase the posted weights on the drivers door jamb. Those add-ons can help with the rear end sag & possibly improve the ride while towing, but the weight of those items come directly off the available payload which may be the issue to start with.
I'd agree there are TTs, not 5th wheels, that are suitable for 1/2 ton towing, but any rv over about 8000lbs &/or 25'+ aren't the suitable ones. Yes a 1/2 ton can "tow" it but are limited by what they are designed to "carry".
Old 11-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Would just add to above that if a weight distributing hitch is properly sized and installed there shouldn't be any "squat" to take out. Air bags can improve the ride, but should not be used to compensate for an improper hitch.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #17
BubbaShoots

My 25RDS is very similar (8800 GVW) but am usually loaded at 7800 lbs. My tongue weight is typically 1200 lbs. I pull with F150 4x4 5.0L V8. Truck is completely stock with 1600 lbs payload. I’ve been to the scales numerous times and am typically at max payload (+/- 300 lbs). I have no issues with towing or stopping. I know a 3/4 ton would be better but I’m not willing to pay current prices. What I have is sufficient for now.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:10 PM   #18
Kingpin

My payload is 1850
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
My payload is 1850
Is that from the yellow/white tag in the door jamb?
Seems high for a truck you say is "maxes out at 8500"?
What's the GVWR posted on your rv?
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
I own a 26RBSWE and had an F150 Ecoboost. After doing all the number crunching, I determined I was substantially over payload weight and needed to replace the TV with at least an F-250. This is why I suspect you may be as well.

I recommend you work this worksheet to analyze your situation. It requires a bunch of data gathering on your truck and trailer. Some of the data requested are actual weights; for the trailer, you can estimate those from maximum weights for your first attempts; for the truck, you can often find local grain or trash truck scales nearby (don't forget your passengers, pets, and camping cargo). For the rest, use the manufacturer labels affixed to the TT and TV, not numbers out of some model manual.

Weight distribution hitches provide necessary improvement to your steering and braking response and reliability, but provide actual payload assist only when you are overloading only your rear axle, which is almost never. Most cases of over-payload are just plain over gross payload.

Tags
cougar, tow, towing