Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
FresnoTom

First Trailer at 60

Turned 60 last month and realized that retirement is looming. Decided I needed to jump on the huge bandwagon and buy a trailer.

Actually, have been looking for a while, but finally found what we wanted. Just purchased a 2018 Keystone Springdale 179qbwe.

My wife’s family has always had trailers, so it has been interesting to hear how very different the market is now. Found a lot of old and very expensive trailers or brand-new, but not much in-between.

Glad to be here to learn from you all!

Fresno Tom
FresnoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:20 AM   #2
jasin1

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-18-2021, 03:53 AM   #3
jxnbbl

Welcome, we didn't do it for the same reasons but got our first trailer last year and upgraded it this year as we plan on doing a good amount of traveling. We have had a blast for a total of about 10-12 weeks on the road this year.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Canonman

From Utah!!
Feel free to ask away. Once you complete your first shake-down trip you'll probably have a few questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-34.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	36536  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
FresnoTom

Thanks! Can’t do that many weeks just yet, but do live in a place where we can use the trailer for much of the year. Hoping to do a combination of weekends and vacation time.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
FresnoTom

I am sure you are right. We are already in with a group that goes camping a few times a year, but I will definitely have questions after that first trip the end of November.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoTom View Post
Turned 60 last month and realized that retirement is looming. Decided I needed to jump on the huge bandwagon and buy a trailer.

Actually, have been looking for a while, but finally found what we wanted. Just purchased a 2018 Keystone Springdale 179qbwe.

My wife’s family has always had trailers, so it has been interesting to hear how very different the market is now. Found a lot of old and very expensive trailers or brand-new, but not much in-between.

Glad to be here to learn from you all!

Fresno Tom
To aid in asking those questions go to the "user CP" in the header bar then to "edit signature" to add your make, model & year of your rv & tow vehicle then "save changes" at the bottom of the page. By doing this you won't have to post it or be ask what rv you have with every question you ask.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats, and yeah we camp year round here in the Central Valley.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
FresnoTom

Thanks! Great advice and I have now done so.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
FresnoTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Congrats, and yeah we camp year round here in the Central Valley.
We do indeed. So many places to camp here!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Congrats on your new camper purchase. One is NEVER too old to start new adventures. You only get old when you stop trying. Enjoy the road! There's a LOT "out there" to see and do!
Old 10-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #12
FresnoTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Congrats on your new camper purchase. One is NEVER too old to start new adventures. You only get old when you stop trying. Enjoy the road! There's a LOT "out there" to see and do!
Agree strongly! Already have three trips scheduled (November, December, July).
Old 10-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I would suggest taking the rig to a large parking lot like schools (when not in session), churches, etc. and practice backing it up and turning in both directions. Note where the trailer wheels are when the trailer starts turning while backing up and make a mental note. When you get to the campground take your time and don't let anyone rush you. Enjoy that new camper!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #14
FresnoTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would suggest taking the rig to a large parking lot like schools (when not in session), churches, etc. and practice backing it up and turning in both directions. Note where the trailer wheels are when the trailer starts turning while backing up and make a mental note. When you get to the campground take your time and don't let anyone rush you. Enjoy that new camper!
Good advice. These first three trips I got pull-throughs, but will definitely want to get good at backing the trailer up.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Good advice. These first three trips I got pull-throughs, but will definitely want to get good at backing the trailer up.
We've had some folks come on here and proclaim they only stay in pull thru sites and I guess they have enough land to store it that way as well. I think a little time in a parking lot learning how to back up, back in to a space, and how to make a 3 point (or more) to turn around is essential. You don’t want your first try to be at a dead end, closed road, or at the scene of an accident where the ]olice say "OK, turn around and go back to the last exit or intersection". If you travel enough all of those scenarios will likely happen to you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:48 AM   #16
FresnoTom

Agreed. Always a good idea to plan for the inevitable. Importantly, while it is stored elsewhere temporarily, I will definitely have to back it into my driveway. Best to plan ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
We've had some folks come on here and proclaim they only stay in pull thru sites and I guess they have enough land to store it that way as well. I think a little time in a parking lot learning how to back up, back in to a space, and how to make a 3 point (or more) to turn around is essential. You don’t want your first try to be at a dead end, closed road, or at the scene of an accident where the ]olice say "OK, turn around and go back to the last exit or intersection". If you travel enough all of those scenarios will likely happen to you.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #17
Essvar

Quote:

Tom,

I've stayed at a couple places where the "pull through" site ended up being a "Pull IN- Back OUT" site because of obstructions (trees)

Its good to practice forward and reverse maneuvering before getting into a squeeze.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
Tom,

I've stayed at a couple places where the "pull through" site ended up being a "Pull IN- Back OUT" site because of obstructions (trees)

Its good to practice forward and reverse maneuvering before getting into a squeeze.

^^^This is a good point and at some point you will probably run into it. I've been to a few that are "pull thrus" but in reality aren't. They are/were a "pull thru" with a VW Bug or something because the little road into the site exits out another way, BUT, whether it's trees right in front, a bend, in one case the neighbors many, huge flower pots etc., there is no way to make the cut and pull the trailer out of the "pull thru" without clipping who knows what while exiting. A "pull thru"? I guess, just not with an RV behind you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #19
Falcon67

Welcome! Agree - there's not much out there between well used (or more likely well parked) and new. Last two years of crazy here and all the fracking activity have moved a lot of RVs through dealer lots. Not a lot of decent stuff for sale used.

Quote:
LOL - truth. I don't have too much trouble with our 34' trailer (60' total length) but with the new 26' Springdale - dang that little popper turns on a dime. I get crossways with it pretty quick. Not as bad as the little 5x9 Uhaul we rented a while back, but close. Every trailer is different.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #20
rjniles

Never too old for camping, I was 65 and DW was 57 when we started: I am 78 and still love it. Tent camped the first few times, bought a popup that we used for 7 year with trips to Florida every winter. 6 years ago we bought a Passport 195RB that we continue to use. Have a 3+ weeks reserved in Florida for January and February. We do state parks, COE campgrounds and military recreational areas.