Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
Campy

Favorite home blend bug cleaner...

A while back at a campground I was cleaning bug gut from the front of my camper. A older fella came by and told me to use a 50/50 mix of peroxide and water, he said they will wipe right off. Have not tried it yet... I was using a store bought product called "Bug off" and will strip your wax right off with the bugs! Any other home brews that work well. My favorite is stuff called Bug Slide for motorcycles but it is really costly.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Years ago, when cars were painted with enamel paint, during the "love bug season, it was a heavy coat of Simonize paste wax. Rub it on, let it dry and don't polish it off.

Now, at least for me, it's a frequent coat of Turtle Wax Ice spray wax after every vehicle wash and a daily (after each trip) wipedown with Windex and a soft terrycloth towel (to remove the bugs before they dry) followed by a quick touchup spray of Turtle Wax and a wipedown with a clean towel that is saved for tomorrow's Windex duty.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
MCBadgett

My neighbor sprays the front of his MH with Pam (Before leaving on a trip) during "love bug season". He swears by it. I haven't tried it, but I might in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
vampress_me

The best “bug cleaner” that I read about on here, laughed at, and then had to try - used dryer sheets. I would have bet my next paycheck it would not work because, dryer sheets????? That has worked the best I have ever seen. I would wash the front cap, and then lightly scrub the bug guts with a dryer sheet and then rinse.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:38 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
The best “bug cleaner” that I read about on here, laughed at, and then had to try - used dryer sheets. I would have bet my next paycheck it would not work because, dryer sheets????? That has worked the best I have ever seen. I would wash the front cap, and then lightly scrub the bug guts with a dryer sheet and then rinse.
I have used dryer sheets for years. Living in Florida with the annual "love Bug" invasion it was always a pain in the butt to clean em off the front of vehicles. I do it a little differently, I clean them off with the dryer sheets first then wash. I use that Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax stuff, not just for my RV but for every vehicle I own. I did pick up a quart bottle of Bug-Slide at the Sturgis Rally and it works great too, but like Campy said it is a little pricey.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #6
notanlines

Do not think for one minute that McB's idea of Pam was silly. I spray all the chrome on the front of the truck with the same product but from Aldi's for every long trip and the bugs simply rinse right off. I gave it some thought to the front of the RV, but decided not to for no particular reason.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:18 AM   #7
Campy

Pam and dryer sheets,... interesting? May have to try them both out and see.