Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Courser Farm

Over the truck tire step.....

I can't get into the back of our truck without a step ladder and I'd like to help the hubs more by jumping in and hooking up chains etc. Do any of you have the Over-Tire step? Such as this.... and does it work on the outside dually? Thanks! (And if you want a bunch of laughs, check out the "q and a's")

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...ref_=pd_gw_unk
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
I can't get into the back of our truck without a step ladder and I'd like to help the hubs more by jumping in and hooking up chains etc. Do any of you have the Over-Tire step? Such as this.... and does it work on the outside dually? Thanks! (And if you want a bunch of laughs, check out the "q and a's")

It may be just my thinking but I like to do every thing myself…the same way when hooking up same way when unhooking…the same way and same steps every single time…that way I don’t forget something.
My wife has things that she is responsible for and I have my things …my thing is hooking up lol
I have one of these for my rear bumper…mine is a RAM brand factory step but this is similar.
It will help getting in the back when the fifth wheel isn’t hooked up and it folds up out of sight.

The step you linked looks nice enough as long as it doesn’t scratch the wheels if the little rubber bumpers fall off.

Why do you have chains? Do you have a goose box or Anderson hitch?
Old 09-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Courser Farm

Respect! But for years with our LQ Horse Trailer I carried small step stool and yes he trusts me to do it all correctly. After all I was doing it on my own trailer when we met 26 years ago. I think he will use it too. Yes we have a reese goose ball thing so we can easily use the truck to pull our flat bed or stock trailer. And we divide chores more by who prefers to do what… but don’t fret: he isn’t crazy about cooking or dishes. Me neither for that matter but you know!!!
Old 09-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Respect! But for years with our LQ Horse Trailer I carried small step stool and yes he trusts me to do it all correctly. After all I was doing it on my own trailer when we met 26 years ago. I think he will use it too. Yes we have a reese goose ball thing so we can easily use the truck to pull our flat bed or stock trailer. And we divide chores more by who prefers to do what… but don’t fret: he isn’t crazy about cooking or dishes. Me neither for that matter but you know!!!
Please don’t get me wrong lol I wasn’t suggesting you didn’t know how to do it…or that women can’t hook up a trailer..I was saying ONE person should be in charge of all of that…you or him

But hey if it works for you then who am I to say different
Old 09-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
Courser Farm

PS- tail gate has a step and a grab bar so don’t need it when unhooked.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:32 AM   #6
jasin1

It actually seems pretty decent…I can’t reach into my bed (without scratching the paint and I’m 6’1) of my truck since I have dually now…might consider this myself…also read post #4
Old 09-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Courser Farm

The "boss" said to order it so I'll report back! Thanks Jasin1.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #8
travelin texans

Carried one for 10+ years fulltiming, used it every time to remove/install the pin on the 5th wheel hitch tobe able to reach over the dually fenders, highly recommend getting him one.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

There several brands of that folding over the tire step. I have had 1 for about 20 years now and use it a lot. Mine is painted steel and rusty in spots, still works fine. A normal step stool will side out from under you as you bend foreword to grab or work of something. These of course will not. Wish I invented them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
vampress_me

I debated it for our dually since I discovered with the dually I can’t quite reach in the box to close the handle on the B&W, nor hook up the breakaway like I could on the SRW. Even the extended running boards for the DRW didn’t help. But, figured it would be a pain in my bum to have to haul out the step, open and put on the tire and then remove and put away. So, for now, I’m still flexible enough to swing a leg over the box side from the running board and get in the bed to do the handle and breakaway. The jump down from the bed side is what’s killing me now - I swear the ground is getting farther and farther away each time! Luckily, for the horse trailer I can reach the gooseneck and chains crawling in from the back of the bed.

But, please let me know after using it for a while if it’s worth the getting out and putting away each time to use it!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:39 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:

They say "there is no such thing as a stupid question" but the Q&A you pointed out shows that old line is quite wrong. I got a kick out of reading the Amazon Q&A for this product. This was my favorite:

Question:
Can you leave this item on while driving?

Absolutely! You can wear it around your neck and fold it up toward your chest when you drive. Really keeps it handy!
By Lori Bravo on September 18, 2020
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:02 AM   #12
Courser Farm

And the guy who wants it the same color as his tractor!! Happy that Amazon printed them all. (Probably done by an algorithm)
Old 09-27-2021, 04:05 AM   #13
Courser Farm

But, please let me know after using it for a while if it’s worth the getting out and putting away each time to use it!

I shall post as soon as we try it a couple of times. Got a 5 day trip coming up late Oct where "we" will hitch and unhitch a few times. We don't have running boards on the bed of the truck, just at the cab.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:15 AM   #14
JJnLilly

I have one like that Amazon product - just SOB and cheaper. Use it all the time to reach things in the bed or actually climb in to get to firewood etc. It was well worth it to have.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:56 AM   #15
Javi

I keep this in the basement of the 5th wheel and use it to reach things in the bed, clean the windshield, and adjust the awnings on the trailer.. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-2...150B/100658398

Cheap and I can't forget and leave it on the tire as I drive away...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #16
UKLimey

I bought the one in the OP's link. It is good but heavy, so I rarely use it. Instead I usually use a small folding plastic step stool that I keep under the back seat.
Our Website
UKLimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #17
travelin texans

Someone already mentioned that the one pictured is heavy, I bought mine at Walmart & used it regularly. It wasn't too heavy & easily laid behind the 5th wheel hitch next to the tailgate easy to grab. No, it wasn't locked down & in 10 years it never walked away.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I shall post as soon as we try it a couple of times. Got a 5 day trip coming up late Oct where "we" will hitch and unhitch a few times. We don't have running boards on the bed of the truck, just at the cab.
I have an Andersen Ultimate with chains and a wired rear view camera. This means I have to get up into the bed with the fifth wheel hanging over and scoot to the rear and hook up the breakaway switch, chains and then connect my 7 pin & the connector to the (RV) rear camera. I also have a fifth wheel tail gate which is a bunch of rails and not much fun to crawl on. I would have to jump up onto the tailgate and crawl back to do the breakaway and safety chain hooks.

I have a little adjustable step with four sturdy legs that I use under my bottom step on the camper. I use it to get into the bed and put a broken down Chewy box on the tailgate. I would like to try one of those gizmos you pointed to on sale on Amazon but not sure the price would be worth any possible incremental increase in convenience. It might be worth it to get into the engine compartment through. I now use a step ladder when I venture under the hood.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have an Andersen Ultimate with chains and a wired rear view camera. This means I have to get up into the bed with the fifth wheel hanging over and scoot to the rear and hook up the breakaway switch, chains and then connect my 7 pin & the connector to the (RV) rear camera. I also have a fifth wheel tail gate which is a bunch of rails and not much fun to crawl on. I would have to jump up onto the tailgate and crawl back to do the breakaway and safety chain hooks.

I have a little adjustable step with four sturdy legs that I use under my bottom step on the camper. I use it to get into the bed and put a broken down Chewy box on the tailgate. I would like to try one of those gizmos you pointed to on sale on Amazon but not sure the price would be worth any possible incremental increase in convenience. It might be worth it to get into the engine compartment through. I now use a step ladder when I venture under the hood.
The advantage is that it doesn't matter what surface you're parked on, like it does with a ladder or stool, that step is always stable.
I had a 2 step stool then a 2 step ladder that seemed to always lean or sink as soon as I stepped up onto them, both were given away after I got the tire step.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

I understand the step ladder unstable getting into the engine bay. We live on the side of a hill and the ladder has to be oriented just right or you can tumble on the passenger side (downhill side). I have one of these for putting under my last step so the distance from last step to ground isn't as much and provides a much wider platform to step on. The step is adjustable on each leg and have found it works really well under the camper's bottom step; we have a 3 step set up otherwise.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Adjusta...2765006&sr=8-7