Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghornet54 View Post
Thanks! Two of the MUST haves are a larger bathroom and the sideways bed, queen size! We will researching all our want haves soon. I'm retiring tomorrow so will have plenty of time to look.

Congrats! I'm sure you're pretty excited at the moment and.....John is right; once retired you will find that every day has more to do in it than you have time (or.....make time for ). It took me a bit to get my bearings on the retirement thing (2 years) but once in the groove you can't beat it.

On the larger bathroom; they have started making some with fairly large bathrooms, double sinks etc. Make sure what you actually want (make that USE) in the bathroom. Some things "look" pretty or cool but in reality you don't use them. Sometimes those "foo fahs" are placed in the most inconvenient way rendering them almost useless. One thing you want for sure in the bathroom (IMO) is some sort of linen storage. In a drawer under the sink, in a cabinet under the sink etc. is a pain to me.

Looking at bumper pulls be sure and look at the pass through storage areas on them - they are not all created equally and storage (useful storage) is a prime commodity in a trailer as you know.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #22
Laredo Tugger

I agree with the comments on retirement. Some days I want to go back to work so I can get some rest.
Essentially when you are working you tell folks you do not time to do anything for them. When you retire, you have the time and when people find this out, you get busy. But it is at YOUR pace.
Congrats.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #23
Ghornet54

Thanks, I'm pretty excited and nervous and the same time! It will definitely be a big change, I've been working since I was 13 in one job or another.

On the TT, we want a larger bathroom because the current one is really small. When you dry off after a shower, you're almost hitting all 4 walls. Don't get me started on the toilet, it doesn't bother the wife, but it sure does me! LOL
Ghornet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:26 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghornet54 View Post
Thanks, I'm pretty excited and nervous and the same time! It will definitely be a big change, I've been working since I was 13 in one job or another.

On the TT, we want a larger bathroom because the current one is really small. When you dry off after a shower, you're almost hitting all 4 walls. Don't get me started on the toilet, it doesn't bother the wife, but it sure does me! LOL

Yep, I started working before all the current "oh nos" we live in. Shoot, I worked for a guy that had a truck farm that rode the streets selling his produce when I was 9 years old. Picked me up, rode in the back of his tarp covered truck with all the vegetables/fruits and walked the streets selling them. Was a bit limited on eating vegetables at the time but he told me I could sit back there and eat what I wanted.....I LOVE vegetables now. At the end of the day he let me take a little basket of veggies back to the family as we didn't get to eat many.

On the toilet, whatever you buy will probably come with a Thetford. They have improved to some degree but even the one that came in our current trailer I removed as soon as it was in my possession. Look at the Dometic 310 or 320. 310 is a circular bowl with a rimless flush. 310 is an elongated bowl and has a rim at the top and the flush ports are underneath. Both rough in distances are more than a Thetford but unless a really small trailer at least the 310 should fit (10" rough in for 310, 11" for 320 - memory). Either is a great improvement over a Thetford IMO.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Ah retirement: I retired from state service on Halloween 2008 after 25 years. Got bored and went back part time in 2009. The economy/housing market crashed and I was kind of forced. I worked for 4 1/2 yrs and a state bill that put 30,000 inmates on the street and layed off full time emoloyees meant I had to stop. We bought our present trailer in 2012, and the DW asked what it took to be an RV tech.

Now she is in the process of applying for SS and SSD because of a heart condition, so it looks like I might actually “retire”.

All of this to say it is exciting, and scary at the same time. I have found keeping your mind challenged is key, and NOT parking on the couch. It takes time to adjust, you’ll get there. Welcome to the “bright” side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:58 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

I was forced into early retirement after the 6 th. Cervical spine surgery. I had 5 surgeries on my arm/shoulder before that. A year after retirement Cervical spine surgery #7 and I did slow down a bit. Our neighbors on the garage side of the house were a man that sold home improvements that never held a hammer in his hand and his wife worked at a college. She did everything outside (except mowing the lawn, they paid a lawn service) he stayed inside watching the tv.

Over the years she would comment whenever she was outside something to the effect of "still working? Or on very hot days "better be careful and not overdue it*. One day I was outside planting azaleas when they cam out to get in their car. She said "Don't you ever stop?" I said "I'm afraid if I stop I'll never get started again. Look what happened to Dan" (her husband).

In full disclosure, her husband, Dan, was an easy mark for me to tease. He would take my constant ribbing like Gomer Pyle being yelled at by Sgt Carter. They retired and moved to Fl last year and their youngest daughter stayed behind to finish her masters in business (she's a licensed barber) and still cuts my hair and visits. We always ask how her parents are doing and she says they miss us and her dad is bored and misses my teasing. She's concerned for his health as she said he's to sedentary.

Long story but my point being that retirement is just another phase of life. You make what you want of it. Remember Newton's first law of motion, "A body in motion ....."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #27
Laredo Tugger

Agreed Marshall, "Get a good sweat everyday (not hard to do where I live) doing something" is my motto.
Gotta keep the juices going or old age will creep in.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #28
DieselMike

Hello Ghornet54,
After 32 years towing, with up grades to both TV, and TT, and now 39’ 5er Toyhauler, i have this to suggest. I read your post and agree with others - smart to ask BEFORE hand. :-)
I did not see what lenght your 2500 truck is and the lenght of your truck ( wheel base ) is HUGE as you increase the length of your TT. IMHO, once you go beyond 30’ you should have nothing less than an 8’ bed, crew cab so you have the best length towing longer than 30’ TT.
5er’s are a different towing experience and you dont need to be as long, but wheel base is so very important with emergencies that arise in front of you, along with wind, rain ETC.

I also agree with others that a 1 ton ( 350, 3500 ) ride just as nice as the 250, 2500. I had a 3500 Chevy Silverado crew bas, 8’ bed duramax SRW and it worked just fine. Sold it last week and still waiting on my 2022 F450 that i ordered in April of this year. That ride will be a little more stif, and dont care as much as i do about being able to stop, move in the safest condition not know what person in a hurry will do in front of me trying to get to the exit ramp to save 2 seconds. Good luck, and be safe.
DieselMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #29
Cflynt62

That’s not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just a shot across the bow; that truck won't carry much of a 5th wheel. The sticker is blurry but best I can tell the payload is maybe 2149? Won't get you into any kind of 5th wheel of any size. A gvw of 10-10.5k = 2205lbs. (10.5k gvw x .21 = 2205). More than the payload of the truck. The achilles heel of a 3/4 ton diesel.
Sourdough, that’s not true at all, cellar! There are plenty of 5er’s out there for 3/4 ton trucks, some more than 36’ long. I pull a Heartland Elkridge E292, 33’ long and it weighs less than 10klbs empty. The F250, dependent on your set up, can pull 15klbs +.
Cflynt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflynt62 View Post
Sourdough, that’s not true at all, cellar! There are plenty of 5er’s out there for 3/4 ton trucks, some more than 36’ long. I pull a Heartland Elkridge E292, 33’ long and it weighs less than 10klbs empty. The F250, dependent on your set up, can pull 15klbs +.
However it can't carry the pin weight of a 15K 5th wheel, even a 10k 5th wheel would be stretching it for most F250 / 2500 pickups
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #31
Captainf2

Sticker reads 2168 lbs, very light duty 3/4 ton
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #32
Ghornet54

My truck is a crew cab with the 6 1/2 ft bed. I really like this truck and definitely don't want to get rid of it yet. I will probably just upgrade to a pull behind until DW can retire and then we may change our mind and get a better TV and 5th wheel

We both want to live in it for at least 6 months traveling to Alaska and out west as much as possible.
Ghornet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:21 AM   #33
DieselMike

Do as much research as you can and you will get a lot of different opinions. There are many good towing conditions and there are evern more not good towing conditions so do your own homework. Until those who tow and have 1000 or 2000 lbs spare towing capacity run into an emergency while driving down the road ---- only then can it actually be realized. Ever loose your TV brakes while driving down the road and NOT KNOW IT ?? Oh yes, when that happens, can your TV safely stop your rig in time ? The weight police have schooled me very well before / during and after loosing brakes. Not trying to scare anyone, but just think about how many newbies on the road in the last 2 years and they are towing RV’s for the first time......
Good luck on your retirement and be safe.
DieselMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

The numbers you cite are useless; "empty" weight....that trailer is 10,500 gvw. Max tow weight 15k lbs. has no bearing at all on what the truck can CARRY before it can PULL it. With a 2168 payload per sticker and a fully loaded 5th wheel the truck will be overloaded.....that is just true. Trying to use brochures and all the optimistic, pie in the sky numbers from manufacturers is a very dangerous way to tow larger RVs and certainly not a good thing to encourage others to do.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #35
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I vote for the Outback. We had a 2013 298RE Outback and it was a great camper. It was 35 feet long, a bit longer than what you want and it was a couple's trailer only. But Outback get's my vote.
I have a 2014 298RE and love it. Access to the entire kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. Absolutely perfect for two people.

Griz
Ibdagriz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #36
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
OH NO YOU WON'T !!!!!

Every person I've ever known that has retired will tell you that they are busier now than when they were working.... Most will also tell you that they have no idea how they ever found time to devote 40 hours a week to something like a work schedule.....

Welcome to retirement. Things get busier and busier the deeper into this phase of your life goes on !!!!!
DITTO,DITTO!! LOL! You will become busier than a one arm paper hanger! Difference is, its with all your stuff, not someone else's. All those “projects” that you were meaning to get to, now you get to them! It’s an adjustment for about 6 months, then you start to settle in. Great part is if you don’t feel like doing something today, you can do it tomorrow. Happy camping!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #37
markcee

I never kept an appointment calendar, on paper (old days), or in my phone......until I retired.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I never kept an appointment calendar, on paper (old days), or in my phone......until I retired.

Mark I don't think keeping all the notes in all the various formats is because we're busy (at least in my case), it's more it seems like I can't remember as well (or is it SO MUCH?) so I have to put down notes (and sticky notes) everywhere (3 note pads sitting in front of me on my desk). DW keeps all my important stuff in her phone as well....
Old 09-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #39
travelin texans

Quote:
No this is not true!
A 5th wheel weighing in at 15k, your trucks max tow rating, it WILL have a pin weight in excess of 3800lbs, I'm guessing that's nearly double the payload of a good many 3/4 tons & 2 1/2+ times the payloads of 1/2 tons.
That towing weight was arrived at by the manufacturer towing low profile utility type trailers loaded with blocks directly over the axles thereby lowering the tongue/pin weights considerably, a practice you can not do with a long tall RV.
As to any rv dry weights, you, nor any rv owner, will NEVER tow one at or near that dry weight! That's the weight as it rolled off the assembly line, once it arrives at the dealer it gets batteries, propane, probably a spare & any other dealer options requested, it's already gained a few hundred pounds before it's placed on the sales lot.
To any newbies reading this, the tow weight of your truck, or any other tow vehicle, & the dry weight of any rv are ABSOLUTELY useless to rv owners. If you're towing a boat, snowmobiles/ATVs or building materials on a flat bed trailer those numbers might be useful, but in the real rv world they mean nothing.
There's a huge difference in the amount of weight that can be "towed or pulled" & the amount that's able to be safely "carried/loaded" onto a vehicle, the "carried" weight is the number of concern when dealing with RVs.
Using either of these numbers when buying a RV will only get you into something that's too much rv with too little truck or other unsuitable tow vehicle resulting in an unsafe overloaded situation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #40
maccam1

check out a keystone cougar 32rli
tt with a bedroom slideout
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote