Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2021, 05:33 AM   #1
RichP8

Jumping Straight into the Deep End!

OK…just joined the Forum, as I wanted to wait until we at least had the whole rig together to post the obligatory pics, and dive into any discussions. I’ve been wanting a Toy Hauler for about 20 years, but “life” kept happening. Anyway, finally got the wife interested and we found the RV we wanted. Then, after much research and consternation I finally decided that no matter what I did to my trusty steed of these past 23 years (a ‘99 Dodge Ram 2500 with a first year 24-Valve Cummins) I would not be legal using it to tow this particular RV, despite my certainty it physically could. So as it looked like that could kill the RV plans, the wife suggested let’s go look at some 3500s…and to my surprise, she loved the Dually setup…��…Hope to be able to learn from those of you already "seasoned" to this RV lifestyle, as well as connect live with some of you guys on the road…this should be a lot more enjoyable and easier on the body than my time doing it in the Army Uncle Sam's way. ��
"De Oppresso Liber"
RichP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
RogerThat99

Welcome to the Forum. I just joined a couple weeks ago, and have found a lot of great info.

I just got an RV. Not my first RV, but I have been out of it for a long time (due to life getting in the way)
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
Canonman

Welcome from Utah! I'm so envious of your decision to get the bigger truck and hold on to the Toy Hauler you wanted. Way to go!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2449.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	35330  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Rich, You will do all right! Got the right truck before needing to be told and on top have a missus who likes your dually! What do you plan on sticking in the garage?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
Javi

Howdy and welcome to the dually club ��
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
RichP8

Thanks much! The truck is the one thing we had to really weigh, due to cost, but in the end I do not want to be in a position of giving some ambulance chaser an "end around" to suing us for our personal assets because we were towing overloaded and beyond the ratings of the '99 Dodge on the road. Just not worth the risk after having worked so many years to get to this point in life. As far as the toys, I am blessed to have been able to procure and keep a collection of motorcycles (12)--BMWs, H-D, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Kawasaki, Hondas. Depending on the mood we plan to load one or two of them in back and once we are in a region, enjoy some two-wheeled scenery indulgence. We also like to attend some rallies and have decided we'd like to start attending them with our own personal and familiar accommodations--the RV. We also have a 4-wheeler and a golf cart that we plan to take along, depending on the destination. On top of that, the ramp and awning make for a pretty cool elevated deck on occasion.
"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 08-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
RichP8

Thanks!...it does take little extra awareness of making sure the truck's "hips" don't connect with an undesired object...but I do love the stability of it when the fifth wheel is connected.
"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP8 View Post
Thanks!...it does take little extra awareness of making sure the trucks "hips" don't connect with an undesired object...but I do love the stability of it when the fifth wheel is connected.
Just make sure the curb is even with the middle of the rear door before turning the wheel... when not towing
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
RickV

Quote:
Thanks much! The truck is the one thing we had to really weigh, due to cost, but in the end I do not want to be in a position of giving some ambulance chaser an "end around" to suing us for our personal assets because we were towing overloaded and beyond the ratings of the '99 Dodge on the road. Just not worth the risk after having worked so many years to get to this point in life. As far as the toys, I am blessed to have been able to procure and keep a collection of motorcycles (12)--BMWs, H-D, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Kawasaki, Hondas. Depending on the mood we plan to load one or two of them in back and once we are in a region, enjoy some two-wheeled scenery indulgence. We also like to attend some rallies and have decided we'd like to start attending them with our own personal and familiar accommodations--the RV. We also have a 4-wheeler and a golf cart that we plan to take along, depending on the destination. On top of that, the ramp and awning make for a pretty cool elevated deck on occasion.
Congrats on your purchases and also for having the common sense to understand that just because a truck can do it doesn't mean that some Blood Sucking Lawyer won't use it against you.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Suggest you try taking a bike up the rack. I had a toy hauler in the past and it would scrape the bottom; in my case a Goldwing trike and fortunately Honda engineers put the coolant overflow in a nice soft plastic tub at the lowest point on the bike (I found out later they sell skid plates for the tub). I ended up holing mine first time over the juncture of door and garage. I ended up fixing and in the future I put a couple 4x4 blocks under the leading edge of the door and 2x4 along the whole door on the ground (these are all attached) to lift the ramp door a bit and made the transition less damaging. BTW: I have a motorcycle related business... just google my username.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
RichP8

Thanks for the feedback. I have had to used that technique you describe for propping the ramp up a bit, before, on other trailers. I plan to try loading toys into it this weekend to see what challenges I may face. I used to ride my Harley full-dresser up ramps onto the back of my '99 Dodge...now in my 60s, I find that something that is a less desirable risk...of course, also used to jump out of planes as part of my everyday job, but nowadays just thinking about jumping off the tailgate of my truck can nearly make me come to tears...
"De Oppresso Liber"
Old 08-23-2021, 03:37 AM   #12
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.