Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
rogerinamarillo

2wd VS 4wd fifth wheel plate height.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Keystone Avalanche 312 RS and will be looking at a new Chevy 3500 Duramax. I would rather go with a 2wd than a 4wd but am curious about the fifth wheel plate height due to the difference in bed height between the 2wd and 4wd. Is this a problem or do the fifth wheel hitches come in different heights?
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
JDDilly

You should have adjustments on your hitch and the king pin on the trailer is also adjustable. Mine are in 2" intervals, you should be able to get it adjusted to the correct height.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #3
Getn off

Yes and no. You will be able to adjust both your king pin as well as your hitch. Problem lies with the height of these newer trucks. The Fords are taller than the GMs and I have had issues with height. When adjusted, the height between the bed deck and trailer is too low… mine was only about 3” clearance.
I upgraded the trailer wheels to a taller set which helped a bit, but my trailer sat tail low so I could get 6” of deck clearance. Fwiw, my Cyclone sits much more level that my Sprinter did.
To answer your question, I would google the height diff of the trucks your looking at, or go to a lot with a measuring stick.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
K_N_L

I've got a 2015 Chevy and have a fair 6 inches between the bed rail and the nose. I do have the Curt Q20 in the middle position. I run pretty level due to having air bags at about 30 psi which evens things out. I just measured the bed rail height at the center line of the rear wheels - 58.25 inches ( only about 5 psi in the air bags right now). The newer GM's look taller but I cant confirm.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel