Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #21
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
No. I own one of these dudes, picked it up for $1 at a HF tent sale. It's made for cutting thick outdoor electrical cable (the round rubberized stuff), not steel. You may get by using aviation snips, they're pretty tough. A bolt cutter would definitely work.
Ok, good info. Didn’t know bolt cutters would work. I’ll pick up a pair…now I will have an RV and home pair, but so be it.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:43 AM   #22
notanlines

Mark, congratulations for bringing almost the entire crew together with friendly suggestions, all waiting for pictures of the process/progress and the victory celebration when completed! Best of luck to you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #23
roadglide

Have you removed the top facial to see what cable is bad? If it’s a repair cable remove the cable clamps and start that way from the top. I have two cable clamps on my Cable, that’s a repair kit. I doubt that it’s a repair kit but if it is remove those two clamps at the top and pull that cable enough and clamp at the slide bracket outside and and re-clamp the cable at the top .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:11 PM   #24
markcee

Update: Picked up the replacement cable this morning and taped up the fray tightly with a single layer so we could bring in the slide and move on to Carlsbad (where we have a 3 night reservation). Figured the tape might prevent binding. Plan was to secure a cable cutter and crimp tool here in Carlsbad and do the job. Anyway, this morning when we were packing up, I got a text from one of the Carlsbad area techs I reached out to yesterday, stating they could make it out Thursday morning. DW and I discussed and figured we'd sit this one out (ok, we wimped out) and have them do it and we could watch and learn for next time. I'm glad we did as we gingerly deployed the slide here in Carlsbad (enough so we could access the coach) it was obvious the cable was not coming out cleanly as all the cable coming out was now as frayed as the initial few inches were yesterday. I removed an inside rubber channel to see the exit hole and found that the strands of the cable were jamming up in the pulleys....a real mess. At any rate, I hope no further parts are needed and that only a bit of extra time will be required for the tech to complete the fix.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. Very much appreciated!
Old 07-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Mark hope all goes well with the repair. Don't know if you are familiar with Carlsbad by might give Lucy's a whirl if you like Mexican food. Been a while since I was there but it was about as good as it gets.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Update: Picked up the replacement cable this morning and taped up the fray tightly with a single layer so we could bring in the slide and move on to Carlsbad (where we have a 3 night reservation). Figured the tape might prevent binding. Plan was to secure a cable cutter and crimp tool here in Carlsbad and do the job. Anyway, this morning when we were packing up, I got a text from one of the Carlsbad area techs I reached out to yesterday, stating they could make it out Thursday morning. DW and I discussed and figured we'd sit this one out (ok, we wimped out) and have them do it and we could watch and learn for next time. I'm glad we did as we gingerly deployed the slide here in Carlsbad (enough so we could access the coach) it was obvious the cable was not coming out cleanly as all the cable coming out was now as frayed as the initial few inches were yesterday. I removed an inside rubber channel to see the exit hole and found that the strands of the cable were jamming up in the pulleys....a real mess. At any rate, I hope no further parts are needed and that only a bit of extra time will be required for the tech to complete the fix.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. Very much appreciated!
Would be interesting to know what caused it to fray on a newer trailer…I wonder if they damaged it when they initially crimped the cable while installing the slide at the factory?…I will be looking at my cables carefully since hearing about your problem
Old 07-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #27
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Would be interesting to know what caused it to fray on a newer trailer…I wonder if they damaged it when they initially crimped the cable while installing the slide at the factory?…I will be looking at my cables carefully since hearing about your problem
It's my understanding that the cable should be running from the mounting bracket cleanly through the center of the hole. This one appears to be riding hard along the side of the hole as it goes in and out. I don't know if this is something that just got whacked out of alignment or an ongoing issue. My wife is sure she sees the interior bracket misaligned. We took a ton of pics, so curious to see what the tech says.

I can tell you that I stare at those cables every time I deploy the slides and noticed nothing. It's like this issue occurred over night. You'd think constant wear would expose itself gradually.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #28
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mark hope all goes well with the repair. Don't know if you are familiar with Carlsbad by might give Lucy's a whirl if you like Mexican food. Been a while since I was there but it was about as good as it gets.
Looks good, just checked it out online. We will go there Thursday evening to celebrate our perfectly functional slide!
Old 07-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Glad you got your slide fixed. Carlsbad is OK but it is kind of off the beaten path compared to "cities".

Me and my son used to head to Carlsbad from Hobbs bird hunting. When we had time stayed in Carlsbad and always ate at Lucy's. Back then Lucy was there, owned the place, loved my son and it was a great time - long time ago. We JUST (DW and I) discussed taking the RV and spending a few day in Carlsbad and eating at Lucy's.

If you had the time, a drive up the mountains from Carlsbad to Queens, NM is worthwhile IMO. Once at Queens the roads/forest roads/then forest "backroads" open up and you (I) can spend weeks up there....but there are no improvements past Queen campground; and in Sept. the apples at the store will be coming off...exceptional!
Old 07-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #30
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Glad you got your slide fixed. Carlsbad is OK but it is kind of off the beaten path compared to "cities".

Me and my son used to head to Carlsbad from Hobbs bird hunting. When we had time stayed in Carlsbad and always ate at Lucy's. Back then Lucy was there, owned the place, loved my son and it was a great time - long time ago. We JUST (DW and I) discussed taking the RV and spending a few day in Carlsbad and eating at Lucy's.

If you had the time, a drive up the mountains from Carlsbad to Queens, NM is worthwhile IMO. Once at Queens the roads/forest roads/then forest "backroads" open up and you (I) can spend weeks up there....but there are no improvements past Queen campground; and in Sept. the apples at the store will be coming off...exceptional!
Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll see what we can squeeze in.

I didn't get the slide fixed yet....appointment is not 'til Thursday. I was just trying to exude positivity!
Old 07-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll see what we can squeeze in.

I didn't get the slide fixed yet....appointment is not 'til Thursday. I was just trying to exude positivity!

Whoops! Missed the lack of repair....jumping forward with that same positivity attitude!!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:40 AM   #32
johnnybadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Mark, congratulations for bringing almost the entire crew together with friendly suggestions, all waiting for pictures of the process/progress and the victory celebration when completed! Best of luck to you!
I feel like I am “watching” as Apollo 13 tries to return to Earth!
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #33
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybadger View Post
I feel like I am “watching” as Apollo 13 tries to return to Earth!
Or the “Airplane” movie lol
Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #34
markcee

My slide saga is over. Rapid RV Repair / Carlsbad NM came out first thing this morning and replaced/adjusted the damaged cable and made adjustments to the remaining cables as well. All is back in good working order.

The guys were meticulous, obviously taking pride in their work. If anyone is in need of an RV tech in this area, I highly recommend them.

The other good news is that they submitted the bill through to my Good Sam extended warranty and with the exception of my $100 deductible, the charges were covered.

Thanks again to all that provided information and tips. I have already ordered a couple extra cables, the cutters and the crimp tool. I'll be prepared for next time!
Old 07-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #35
LHaven

Next time?! Seriously, that issue was a once in a lifetime issue (knock on wood).
Old 07-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #36
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Next time?! Seriously, that issue was a once in a lifetime issue (knock on wood).
Hah. You don’t know me……next time you see a black cloud hovering over a campsite, come on over and have a cold one.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #37
notanlines

Mark, now that you have a spare it won't happen. If you didn't have that spare it would have happened again in a year.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Mark, now that you have a spare it won't happen. If you didn't have that spare it would have happened again in a year.
^^^ EXACTLY!!!!! At least that's always been my experience.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:56 AM   #39
GMH

Quote:
It's my understanding that the cable should be running from the mounting bracket cleanly through the center of the hole. This one appears to be riding hard along the side of the hole as it goes in and out. I don't know if this is something that just got whacked out of alignment or an ongoing issue. My wife is sure she sees the interior bracket misaligned. We took a ton of pics, so curious to see what the tech says.
Is the cable centered in the hole now or still rubbing?
Old 07-30-2021, 05:37 AM   #40
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
Is the cable centered in the hole now or still rubbing?
Yes....it's centered. The tech didn't like the way the other cables were tensioned and adjusted them all. He did not think there was any issue with the way the brackets were mounted.