Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #21
Old_Stevenick

Well I finally got access to under the seats (wife uses it for storage.)

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Water pump under one, hot water tank under the other.

Looking at these photos does it appear to you that there is already a bypass on the hot water tank, and an inlet to the water pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4855.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	34759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4854.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	34760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot water tank.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	34762  
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, in your bottom photo, the water heater bypass valve is located on the outside of the blue PEX at the lower part of the water heater. It's a 1/4 turn valve , currently it's set on "summer" or "water heater flow ON"... Turn the valve so it aligns with the vertical PEX and it will be in "bypass" or "water heater flow OFF".

Your water pump is a FloJet brand. You can tell by the "blue locking tabs" on the inlet and outlet connections. The very BEST thing you can do for your pump reliability is to purchase and install a strainer on the inlet (white flex hose with blue stripes) to protect the pump diaphragm from damage caused by trash that IS (not could be) in your fresh water tank. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...6635441&sr=8-5

You may need to reposition the water pump to get the strainer installed. That consists of unscrewing the 4 mounting screws and sliding the pump over (away from the wall) an inch or so.

Here's a link to that $7 strainer which (to me) is a "no brainer"... Yeah I know.... It's late and I haven't had my nap yet LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #23
Old_Stevenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If your trailer has a FloJet pump, all you need is a "pump inlet fitting" and a length of clear 1/2" vinyl hose. Slide the hose onto the barb end of the fitting locate your water pump, pull the blue tab and disconnect the inlet fitting, slide your "homemade winterization kit" into the pump and close the blue tab. Put the end of the hose in a gallon jug of antifreeze and turn on the pump. "You're winterizing your trailer for about $5.

You can buy the fitting at any RV dealership for about $2 and the vinyl hose at Home Depot or Lowe's "by the foot".

Take the money you save by not buying a $19.95 "winterization kit" and buy a "snap on FloJet pump strainer" to protect your pump, faucet valves and water heater outlet valve from being damaged by the construction debris that is in your fresh water tank..... It's the "best $8 you can spend" to protect your water system...
https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...5496421&sr=8-5
Will get one of these to add to that underseat flojet pump.
Old 04-20-2022, 04:31 AM   #24
Old_Stevenick

Winter over, camper de-winterized. All the advice in this thread made it happen for me.

Pictures and comments about the bypass valve (like I could remember something for 5 months right?) refreshed my memory.

Flushed out anti-freeze, put in sanitizer and flushed it. Everything working, no leaks. Flojet strainer installed last Fall.

Thanks guys, I'm back and will be bugging you all and asking for more advice as needed.

Anyone have any questions about something I know about and happy to help. (That's mostly going to be audio, music, computers, skiing...)

Tags
bullet, water, water pump