Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfloyd View Post
I have concluded that wheel bearings should be replaced about every 5 to 10K miles or sooner if you have driven in Louisiana, Ohio, or any other road that has large pot holes and wide expansion joints. Regardless of how much grease is in a bearing nothing can stop the damage to the bearing when the wheel is continuously hammered for miles with the weight of the trailer. My brother in law packs his wheel bearings before every trip. He has had two wheel bearing failures. I pack my wheel bearings about every 10K miles and have had a bearing failure. The amount of grease is important but when you experience rough roads the bearings will shatter. Another surprise is the bearings are not USA. They are more than likely Chinese made. Just a tip from and old man who has owned 6 campers.:
I've driven both those states, coast to coast border to border 3-4 times on my last 5er that had 60k+ miles when sold with the original bearings that were handpacked annually. Have also had several RVs with equal mileage with with the original annually packed bearings.
With this said I'd have to disagree with replacing the bearings every 5-10k miles! Also packing the bearings prior to every trip is a bit OCD!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:02 AM   #22
notanlines

I heartily agree with Danny. No way is it even remotely necessary to replace bearings every 5k to 10k miles. Not even close. I repacked the Raptor bearings after 30k and they looked like they just rolled out of the factory. "My brother in law packs his wheel bearings before every trip." Possibly the most inane practice we'll see today.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:59 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

So by that schedule then work trucks, work trailers, delivery trucks snd vans, over the road truckers and the trailers they pull get monthly bearing replacement? I have nephew that has had bearing failures on every boat trailer and camper that he's ever owned. He told his DW that that's just normal for trailers. She asked me how many I've experienced kjowing that I've owned a bunch of them over the years. My reply was "I'll call you when the first timd happens", He has never repacked a bearing in his life.

Follow the axel mfg. Instructions. Inspect and replace if necessary. If you don't know when or what necessary is, then pay someone to do it per the mfg schedule as it would be cheaper yhat buying all those seals, grease, and bearings and a whole lot less time consuming.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote