Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #1
Outdoornut

Springdale 235RB

I purchased a 2018 Springdale 235RB and I’m wondering why is it heavier then most trailers that size. I’ve been looking it up and can’t seem to find any information.
Outdoornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoornut View Post
I purchased a 2018 Springdale 235RB and I’m wondering why is it heavier then most trailers that size. I’ve been looking it up and can’t seem to find any information.
What are you comapring it with? That unit is a wood framed walls and roof with fiberglass insulation and akuminum siding. A "sandwich" style aluminum framed trailer with foam insulation will be much lighter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:09 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Welcome to the forum!

In general, entry level trailers are going to be less expensive and thus use heavier materials (lighter materials which do the same job are usually more expensive).

On the other end, the high-end trailers tend to use solid materials, which are heavier.

To get the light weight trailer, you need to look at a company's light-weight line. For Keystone, one of those is the Cougar Half-Ton line.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
travelin texans

Is you're concern due to your tow vehicle weight limitations or just curious?
The reason why it's heavier has been explained.
If concerned with tow vehicle, post some numbers, the weight police are standing by....
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
Outdoornut

I’m trying to sell the trailer as I bought a bigger one. I was curious as to why this trailer weights more. I was hoping that it was a solid constructed trailer.
Outdoornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Springdale is a "entry level" (low priced technology) wood frame trailer. It is built much the way trailers were built in the 1960's and 1970's, with staples holding most of the frame together and screws where staples wouldn't work. There was/is some adhesive in places, but much of the structure relies on other parts "pushing against each other" to keep it from falling apart.

The reason "recent Springdale models are heavier" is as much the "bling" that Keystone puts in the Springdale line (to make it appealing to first time buyers) as it is to the construction. When we owned our Springdale, it was a "plain Jane" trailer. Now, it's got the same features as most mid level trailers. Things like electric awnings, air conditioning, TV's, stereos, outdoor kitchens, microwaves, 8 cuft refrigerators, carpet, polar/cold weather insulation, electric tongue jacks, electric stabilizers all add weight, making a "fat lady" weigh even more....

As for "sturdy construction" some people prefer wood frame/aluminum siding over aluminum frame/fiberglass laminated siding. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of construction, but if you step back and look at the overall industry, there are probably 10 aluminum frame trailers built to every wood frame trailer, so overall, I'd suspect wood frames to be the least popular of the two... Any trailer is "sturdy" until it's not... Things like a water leak will destroy a wood frame trailer much faster than an aluminum frame trailer. So, the "key to longevity" is water intrusion prevention on both types of construction.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
springdale