Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
trucker LOU

I have used ProtectAll for about 20 yrs. on RV's, tow vehicle ,dw's car,Peterbilt work trk. goes on & off easy, non abrasive, good protection.
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
rhagfo

I am impressed, thought I was one of a very few that would hand wax their 5er!
This is what sold my old 86 King of the Road the rig was in good shape mechanically, but the buyer stated that it was the shine on that 26 year old trailer that caught his eye.

I have only had the new Copper Canyon for a couple of weeks, got a good shine on the front cap, and part of one side before the rains came back, I will have the rest done soon.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #23
BigSur

I need to get my bullet done. I personally use a synthetic wax and a Dual Action Buffer for application.....makes things go WAY quicker.
BigSur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
TFMCKANNA

Still a little confused. New to all this and purchased a 2004 Cougar earlier this year. Does anyone have insight into just what the outer material is? Gelcoat? Fiberglass? Definitely not a "marine" boat finish either. Whatever it is, it's dull & appears oxidized somewhat and I want to brighten/shine it up. Bought some NU-Finish AND some WAX per this thread but now not so sure. Comments or suggestions? Thanks.
TFMCKANNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

I used Flitz polish on my '97 Jayco in 2009. It looked new when I was done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #26
Desert185

I've mentioned this product in a similar thread before.

Top Gun Ultra Finish: Spruce P/N 09-00192

Found at www.aircraftspruce.com

No buffer or sweat required. You have to use it to believe how well it works and how long it lasts.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #27
theeyres

I'm another one that started using Nu-Finish years ago on cars and have just continued through on many different RV's. Even here in AZ where the sun is a killer it seems to work. Once a year on the sides and back and two or three on the front where I end up having to scrub bugs off--figure that's take the finish off, also. Seems to work...with a lot less effort than wax.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 AM   #28
bsmith0404

Nu-Finish is a cleaner wax, basically a rubbing compound mixed with wax. regular wax does not have any cutting properties to polish/buff out oxidation. A cleaner wax is considered a one step wax, cuts, polishes, and wax all in one step. most waxes you find at your local parts store are the same category. they work great for RVs since you're not concerned with a high gloss shine/finish like on a car. Mother's gold is a similar product. Using a buffer/random orbital polisher with a cutting pad will make the process easier and add to the cutting power of the cleaner wax. A wool pad is the most aggressive, used on a real bad finish, but will usually leave swirl marks. An orange foam pad is a good choice for an RV finish.

As for the finish on your Cougar...it's not a TRUE gel coat, but can be treated the same way.

Hope this helps clear some of your confusion.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
LittleJoe

I think the orbital buffer part in Keystone manual is to cover there A$$ because not everyone knows how to properly use them.

My trailer is washed, waxed/polished with buffer and roof cleaned annally (while in Florida). A local mobile guy does complete job for 120.00(husband/wife team) and are usually done in 4hrs. It is a liquid wax they use but it is put on and off by buffer and shines nicely from one year to next.

Trailer is washed as necessary with RV wax/soap by hand the rest of the year.

At home in Ontario it would cost more than double that amount. I am very fortunate to have found them and call a month before I get to Florida to make appointment for soon after we arrive. They are often booked 6wks out.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #30
bsmith0404

big difference between an orbital/rotary and a random orbital. if you use a random orbital such as the porter cable 7424 it is impossible to burn through the finish. a rotary can burn through quickly and cause permanent damage, that is what most companies guard against.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #31
audio1der

Another Nu-Finish user here. It's not my favorite product looks-wise, but on the RV it can't be beat for an off the shelf, find-it-anywhere product. With all the window frames, awning arms, etc I just find it easier to apply and buff off by hand than use my PC 7424.
It's really a sealant, not a wax at all. No wax on earth lasts like NF, and NF has no carnauba ergo, not a wax (cleaner wax or not).
I've used it for years on our vehicle's wheels to make washing brake dust off. It really doesn't look great on a painted surface but on white fiberglass, it just shines and keeps it squeaky clean SO long
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #32
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Another Nu-Finish user here. It's not my favorite product looks-wise, but on the RV it can't be beat for an off the shelf, find-it-anywhere product. With all the window frames, awning arms, etc I just find it easier to apply and buff off by hand than use my PC 7424.
It's really a sealant, not a wax at all. No wax on earth lasts like NF, and NF has no carnauba ergo, not a wax (cleaner wax or not).
I've used it for years on our vehicle's wheels to make washing brake dust off. It really doesn't look great on a painted surface but on white fiberglass, it just shines and keeps it squeaky clean SO long
okay, you got me there, it is a one step sealant not a cleaner wax. Most people don't understand the difference. Since it is a sealer, it does tend to last a bit longer than a wax. Good product for a twice a year protection. BTW, I use the 6.5" pad on my Flex for the large areas and a 4" on the PC for all of the tight spaces...still much easier than by hand IMO

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #33
Desert185

I used to use NuFinish. It just didn't last very long for me. Treat yourself and try Top Gun Ultra Finish. Metal, paint, fiberglass, poly-carb windscreens...it does it all, and it lasts a long time. Just as easy to apply, also.

Trust me.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #34
Yosemitebob

I wash mine with RV wash and wax, every time we go out. This last year was 6 times. I hand wax and polish three times a year. I also clean and condition the rubber roof twice a year. And to through in another item, I do the same to my truck. I call it my workout day. Neighbors call it something else, I think they have a pool going when I keel over, but that will never happen. I use Meguiar's GoldClass Carnauba Premium Liquid Wax. I've done this to all my campers sense 1964. Except for the roof I use the Camco product.

I did this the first day we bought the trailer home, it is the best way to keep an eye on it's outside, including seams, caulking, paint, locks, hinges, etc. etc.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote