Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
jasin1

Low profile ac unit

I had the dealer install the second AC option on the front of my 315rls when we purchased.
Do most Keystone dealers install the standard height Ac unit up front or do some install the low profile just on the front.
My neighbor has a new Rockwood fifth wheel and I noticed his is low profile just on the front I guess for better clearance.
Just one more thing I was unaware of about fifth wheels and didn’t consider.
The dealer also installed a fifth wheel hitch setup on my truck and a Reese 16k slider hitch.
These are two things I wish I would have researched a little better....I was just so excited about getting the rv that I let my guard down..
But I’m very happy with the fifth wheel itself!
I Think that with the crazy year and lack of travel options we had, I rushed things along a little faster then I normally would.
But I’m glad I bought it and have no major regrets
Old 12-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
LewisB

Don't beat yourself up too bad...2020 was a "survival" year in a lot of ways.

I can't speak to the AC issue - our Raptor came with 3 units.

Have you talked to the dealer about an upgrade for your hitch? Sometimes, if you catch them early after a sale, they can actually be nice (LOL). Either way, we towed with a Reese 16K Slider hitch for about 10 years and it works just fine. We had no problems with it. So take that rig out and enjoy it! Over the coming years, you will find lots of little things to "tweak" to make it right - just don't let them steal your joy!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Don't beat yourself up too bad...2020 was a "survival" year in a lot of ways.

I can't speak to the AC issue - our Raptor came with 3 units.

Have you talked to the dealer about an upgrade for your hitch? Sometimes, if you catch them early after a sale, they can actually be nice (LOL). Either way, we towed with a Reese 16K Slider hitch for about 10 years and it works just fine. We had no problems with it. So take that rig out and enjoy it! Over the coming years, you will find lots of little things to "tweak" to make it right - just don't let them steal your joy!
You know that’s not a bad idea. I could mention to my salesman even if they won’t let me trade up.
If someone is buying a fifth wheel and needs a slider hitch for less then cost of new,possibly buy mine.
It was really just the slider part I didn’t like.( probably user error)I got my new truck so I purchased fixed legs for the hitch and removed slider.
I had to buy a ram puck adaptor as well. I’ve just heard a lot of good things about the B&W companion hitch.
And yeah I know I shouldn’t complain. Just minor things in an overall great experience
Old 12-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of "considerations" on why dealers "seem to just arbitrarily choose" a type of A/C to install.....

1. The full size rooftop unit is less noisy than the low profile unit, so if you install a full size unit in the front bedroom (or even if you have a front living room trailer) it's more comfortable to be in the room with the A/C running.

2. The Cougar line is "mid profile" so there is enough trailer height to install either a full size or a low profile rooftop unit. Given the cost comparison and the noise level, most people are happier with a full size unit if it will fit.

3. Low profile units work best on "full height fifth wheels" that are usually in the 12'9" to 13' range "before the front A/C is installed, so it's "somewhat mandatory" to keep the trailer below 13'6" total height, taking away the choice for people with a fifth wheel that tall. In other words, they "have to live with the noise" whether they want to or not, because of the height of their trailer.

I'd suspect that your dealer probably installed what he had in stock, probably knowing that given the discussion, you'd select the quietest unit anyway....

Granted, he should have discussed it with you, but sometimes making the best choice for an inexperienced buyer often doesn't include giving them the choice, especially if it just confuses them and is likely to motivate them to make a wrong choice.......

As for your friend's fifth wheel with a low profile A/C, how tall is his fifth wheel? He may not have been able to "enjoy the quietness of a full size unit" .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A couple of "considerations" on why dealers "seem to just arbitrarily choose" a type of A/C to install.....

1. The full size rooftop unit is less noisy than the low profile unit, so if you install a full size unit in the front bedroom (or even if you have a front living room trailer) it's more comfortable to be in the room with the A/C running.

2. The Cougar line is "mid profile" so there is enough trailer height to install either a full size or a low profile rooftop unit. Given the cost comparison and the noise level, most people are happier with a full size unit if it will fit.

3. Low profile units work best on "full height fifth wheels" that are usually in the 12'9" to 13' range "before the front A/C is installed, so it's "somewhat mandatory" to keep the trailer below 13'6" total height, taking away the choice for people with a fifth wheel that tall.

I'd suspect that your dealer probably installed what he had in stock, probably knowing that given the discussion, you'd select the quietest unit anyway....

Granted, he should have discussed it with you, but .......

As for your friend's fifth wheel with a low profile A/C, how tall is his fifth wheel? He may not have been able to "enjoy the quietness of a full size unit" .....
Good point! And the only thing I notice about his fifth wheel is the ac looks like it’s a little farther forward on the front ”rake” of the roof. Maybe your right that angle may have put him over 13’6
Old 12-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:

3. Low profile units work best on "full height fifth wheels" that are usually in the 12'9" to 13' range "before the front A/C is installed, so it's "somewhat mandatory" to keep the trailer below 13'6" total height, taking away the choice for people with a fifth wheel that tall. In other words, they "have to live with the noise" whether they want to or not, because of the height of their trailer.

Granted, he should have discussed it with you, but sometimes making the best choice for an inexperienced buyer often doesn't include giving them the choice, especially if it just confuses them and is likely to motivate them to make a wrong choice.......

You know what your right about the inexperienced buyer. I found in my business if I give a good...better.. best..proposal for hvac units on a house it can sometimes bring the process to a standstill because the people are incapable of choosing for fear of picking wrong. I have grown to really analyze a house and look for patterns that may dictate what is best in my opinion for a given situation.This usually results in a better sales experience all the way around. And I can’t stand having to be a salesman.
Nothing wrong if that’s what you like but I personally despise that part of my business
Old 12-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Sort of like trying to sell a 24 SEER central air unit to someone living in northern Michigan where the A/C will operate, maybe 4 months of the year in "moderate temperatures"... Usually, there's no way to offset the price of that unit and operating expenses over a 13 SEER unit on a "super well insulated house" in this area.... Paying an extra $2K for the unit and the 10 year cost advantage being $75 a year, well, given the choice, what does a "thrifty, save every buck" home owner do ???

Back to the low profile rooftop A/C, I much prefer the "calm serenity of rushing air" from a tall unit over the "tornado" of a low profile unit....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Sort of like trying to sell a 24 SEER central air unit to someone living in northern Michigan where the A/C will operate, maybe 4 months of the year in "moderate temperatures"... Usually, there's no way to offset the price of that unit and operating expenses over a 13 SEER unit on a "super well insulated house" in this area.... Paying an extra $2K for the unit and the 10 year cost advantage being $75 a year, well, given the choice, what does a "thrifty, save every buck" home owner do ???

Back to the low profile rooftop A/C, I much prefer the "calm serenity of rushing air" from a tall unit over the "tornado" of a low profile unit....
You want a job in sales? Your hired lol
You def know what your talking about
Old 12-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
You want a job in sales? Your hired lol
You def know what your talking about
Ahhh, HECK NO !!!!! After a career of trying to talk patients into letting me cut them open, take things out and explaining that it will "hurt like hell for a couple of weeks, but it's for your own good"...... My days of "salesmanship are well in the past

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Sarge2

Quote:
Ahhh, HECK NO !!!!! After a career of trying to talk patients into letting me cut them open, take things out and explaining that it will "hurt like hell for a couple of weeks, but it's for your own good"...... My days of "salesmanship are well in the past
So we should be calling you Doc then?
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
So we should be calling you Doc then?
I'm retired now, but that's what I was called in my second career. My first was in the Air Force where I was enlisted and retired after 25 years.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

With the mid profile Cougar I figure the dealer put the best thing up there that would give you the best service. If you are worried about height you can always level up a board across the high point and measure down. I bought a low profile Penguin II for or last trailer....and didn't really need it other than I had encountered some roads (which I no longer travel) with lower hanging limbs. It worked wonderfully but it was LOUD...which we like at night (if it doesn't shut down intermittently) but many don't and the tradeoff in your trailer would probably not be worth it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
With the mid profile Cougar I figure the dealer put the best thing up there that would give you the best service. If you are worried about height you can always level up a board across the high point and measure down. I bought a low profile Penguin II for or last trailer....and didn't really need it other than I had encountered some roads (which I no longer travel) with lower hanging limbs. It worked wonderfully but it was LOUD...which we like at night (if it doesn't shut down intermittently) but many don't and the tradeoff in your trailer would probably not be worth it.
I was right at 13’4” with my last truck with a 8’ level across the ac unit.
I hooked up once with my new truck but have about 200 miles to put on the truck before I’m gonna tow with it. My truck wasn’t perfectly level and I have my hitch reconfigured. It was right at 5” above the bed rails.
I need to get to a level parking lot and set it up. What do you guys recommend as sweet spot for distance above bed rail to bottom of fiver?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
G Giroux

We insisted on a low profile AC for the front.
Main reason was height. Ounce of prevention ect.
As for noise, it is not an issue for us.
But then again, we love sleeping when the rain is tapping on the roof.
GPG
Old 01-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I was right at 13’4” with my last truck with a 8’ level across the ac unit.
I hooked up once with my new truck but have about 200 miles to put on the truck before I’m gonna tow with it. My truck wasn’t perfectly level and I have my hitch reconfigured. It was right at 5” above the bed rails.
I need to get to a level parking lot and set it up. What do you guys recommend as sweet spot for distance above bed rail to bottom of fiver?
Most dealers and people in the know say you want 6” of clearance from your bed rails. Most of the new trucks will put your 5er slightly nose high, especially if its a 4x4. The only way to fix this is to raise your trailer at the axle with spring blocks. Depending on how high you are, lots of people just live with it. Im just slightly nose high and doesn't seem to be an issue.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Most dealers and people in the know say you want 6” of clearance from your bed rails. Most of the new trucks will put your 5er slightly nose high, especially if its a 4x4. The only way to fix this is to raise your trailer at the axle with spring blocks. Depending on how high you are, lots of people just live with it. Im just slightly nose high and doesn't seem to be an issue.
Thanks I appreciate
Old 01-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #17
JackinDixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
You know that’s not a bad idea. I could mention to my salesman even if they won’t let me trade up.
If someone is buying a fifth wheel and needs a slider hitch for less then cost of new,possibly buy mine.
It was really just the slider part I didn’t like.( probably user error)I got my new truck so I purchased fixed legs for the hitch and removed slider.
I had to buy a ram puck adaptor as well. I’ve just heard a lot of good things about the B&W companion hitch.
And yeah I know I shouldn’t complain. Just minor things in an overall great experience
I've had a B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch in my last two trucks. Love my Companion (and my wife...)!
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #18
KOZKO

Full profile vs mid profile doesn’t mean anything specific about height.

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOZKO View Post
Full profile vs mid profile doesn’t mean anything specific about height.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by that statement?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Mid profile means you have to bend over to walk around the bed and full profile means you can walk around erect.... well let me rephrase that; standing up tall. ;-)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote