Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Tow Vehicle Starting Battery Cost(s)

I recently began to have some sluggish starts in the TV in the mornings (FL mornings, not cold mornings). After a few days of sluggish starts and normal starts I figured I'd better look into a new battery. The battery was OEM and only about 20 months old. My last OEM battery in a different vehicle lasted 3 years. DW's OEM battery started to show problems just shy of 3 years. They don't make them like they used to.

Anyway - I priced the same group battery at several different retailers, Autozone, Napa, Advance Auto, Wally World, Sams, etc. All were between $140 - $160 for a 3 year warranty battery except Sams, but they didn't carry my exact group size, but something similar.

After hemming and hawing it occurred to me to try the dealership (Toyota). I Called and fell off the chair $112 for a 5 year battery. Sold! First two years are full replacement, the remaining 3 are pro-rated. This is a better battery warranty than what comes with a new one in a new vehicle from the same dealership.

So the purpose of this is to perhaps alert anyone here who is needing or thinking or replacing their TV battery. Check your local dealerships. They are being more price competitive against the aftermarket brands. I changed it out in their parking lot and took it in so I didn't have to deal with the core return later. As side note, the battery tested ok, but it was showing on the lower end of the scale so this coming winter and our planned trips into colder weather this coming holiday may have been all that the battery could've handled. Better safe than sorry, especially for a $112 versus the $140.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal!! Us diesel owners have to buy 2 batteries, so the savings should be even better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Good deal!! Us diesel owners have to buy 2 batteries, so the savings should be even better.
Last set of batteries I bought for the 2001 Ram were from the dealer $89 ea with a 10% discount coupon. Current 2016 still original going on 5 years.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:24 AM   #4
notanlines

I don't know what the prices are, but Costco has the best warranty. Four years, non-prorated.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Last set of batteries I bought for the 2001 Ram were from the dealer $89 ea with a 10% discount coupon. Current 2016 still original going on 5 years.
I will add that those batteries were installed on 9/29/2012, I sold the truck the end of June 2019 so very close to seven years old. During January to June it wasn’t uncommon for the truck to sit for a couple weeks to a month without being started, it started every time just fine.
When the time comes to replace the batteries on the 2016 I will likely go the same route.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I don't know what the prices are, but Costco has the best warranty. Four years, non-prorated.
I wish Costco would come our way - they are in Orlando (45+ miles west). Sam's is ok... but I hear great things about Costco. "Build it and we will come!" In case anyone from Costco is listening.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Mike&Sandy

I hate to chime in here, but Wallmart is where I go for the starting batteries. They never seem to last to the end of the warranty, so I just exchange them out.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #8
BrooksFam

My 2014 RAM still has the original battery in it. Still going strong but I know I'll need to replace it sometime soon. I'll check Costco prices now.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
chunker

Some engines spin up quickly and some rather slowly. Before replacing a relatively new battery I'd clean the contacts, get a good charge on it with a battery charger and then load test it. Dirty or poor battery cable contacts contribute to perceived battery failure.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Some engines spin up quickly and some rather slowly. Before replacing a relatively new battery I'd clean the contacts, get a good charge on it with a battery charger and then load test it. Dirty or poor battery cable contacts contribute to perceived battery failure.
My TV is also my daily driver. I know exactly how the engine turns over. Zero corrosion. Engine bay is usually cleaner than the weather mats on the driver' side floorboard. Yes, a bit OCD there. The battery was load tested and passed but on the lower end of the scale as I had mentioned. I've had a battery quit suddenly for no apparent reason after starting the vehicle, driving a few miles to the next destination only to discover that it was dead (barely a click) when I tried to start it again to leave. Out of the blue dead.

$112 is cheap insurance when you're traveling from home. Can you imagine pulling over at a rest stop to make lunch, use the facilities or whatnot and then go to start the truck to leave and... nothing!? Now I'd have to get a jump, drive to the next town and find the first battery retailer and pay whatever it costs just to get back on the road. I'm too old (but not that old!) and too set in my ways for that mess. If push came to shove, and I had to pay $112 every two years just to make sure I didn't leave myself or my family stranded by a bad starting battery, I'd do it.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
My TV is also my daily driver. I know exactly how the engine turns over. Zero corrosion. Engine bay is usually cleaner than the weather mats on the driver' side floorboard. Yes, a bit OCD there. The battery was load tested and passed but on the lower end of the scale as I had mentioned. I've had a battery quit suddenly for no apparent reason after starting the vehicle, driving a few miles to the next destination only to discover that it was dead (barely a click) when I tried to start it again to leave. Out of the blue dead.

$112 is cheap insurance when you're traveling from home. Can you imagine pulling over at a rest stop to make lunch, use the facilities or whatnot and then go to start the truck to leave and... nothing!? Now I'd have to get a jump, drive to the next town and find the first battery retailer and pay whatever it costs just to get back on the road. I'm too old (but not that old!) and too set in my ways for that mess. If push came to shove, and I had to pay $112 every two years just to make sure I didn't leave myself or my family stranded by a bad starting battery, I'd do it.
I understand and agree, batteries can go suddenly without warning. A few years ago I was visiting my son in Tucson, toy hauler and motorcycle and was at the top of a pass to the west of Tucson and stopped to look around. Just clicked when I tried to restart. Ws able to coast start and decided to abort that ride and head back. Halfway down the mountain it began to falter and then died a mile or two later. Bike won't run without a battery, totally shot. Fortunately I carried HOG towing so eventually got towed to the HD so I could buy a gold plated battery from them rather than one I could pick out. The comments I had were for those who might not be as meticulous in keeping connections clean. Yes I'd rather replace before needed than stranded and forced to at inopportune times.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Just a little sidebar on starting batteries. They typically "go dead" on the first really cold morning of the year or when you go to start it on the hottest day of the year after a drive. Those conditions place more demands on the engine's starter and therefore it draws higher amperage.

The starting characteristics due to battery voltage can become imperceivable as they may be slight and you get accustomed to the change, sort of like you don't notice the fading of the paint until you remove an old decal and expose the protected paint.

I know it's anal but I have a digital voltmeter connected in my truck. I look at the voltage before I start and after it's started. I know the battery condition at rest and how the alternator is charging AND how long it takes to replenish the batteries. I replaced my batteries (diesel) with a pair from NAPA 6 years ago and they are still going strong.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I learned to replace vehicle batteries after the first time they crank the engine slower then normal. Seems if you try to get them through another week, they will not make it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I learned to replace vehicle batteries after the first time they crank the engine slower then normal. Seems if you try to get them through another week, they will not make it.
And, if you can manage to "nurse them through another week" they will "dump your butt" at the very first situation where you really need the car to start.....

When there's a "hint of a problem" that's a "suggestion to fix it now".... Sort of like looking at the TK's on a new trailer and thinking, "Nah, they're good".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This is so true, even if you choose to have them tested and one test “Good” you replace them both! Otherwise the old battery will draw down the new battery.
Just one more of the higher maintenance cost of a diesel.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

I'll gladly pay for "another battery" every 6 or 7 years for the benefit of the all the extra hp, torgue, and stouter drive train running at comfortable rpm levels.

To each their own.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I'm probably a little different than most. After having been stuck, stranded, endangered etc. from failing batteries, tires etc. I believe in never letting anything get close to a failure time line. Tires; come off at 48k, even if they have 8/32nds left (and no, I've never been one plagued by low mileage on tires (of any kind), batteries come out at 3 years etc. I do not like irritation or inconvenience and when you try to stretch things to the max that is exactly what you will get. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'll gladly pay for "another battery" every 6 or 7 years for the benefit of the all the extra hp, torgue, and stouter drive train running at comfortable rpm levels.

To each their own.
Maybe I should have put a sarcasm smile after my last statement. I gladly pay the little extra for the power and enjoyment of towing with a diesel.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:03 AM   #19
notanlines

I can see no good reason to push a pair of batteries on our diesel more than three years. The Harley gets a new battery every two years religiously and when we ran our Fountain (13 years) on the Mississippi and off shore, the boat had 2 new batteries every year. The old batteries were then used in trucks and equipment around the business. I also look at fresh batteries as relatively cheap insurance.
We also travel with our Duracell portable jump starter just in case. It has worked a couple times in friend's pontoon boats, and surprisingly, one time with our F350. It was simply not made to start a diesel, but it added just the little boost that was needed to start an already warm engine. There are any number of these small ion-boost packs on the market and I don't know which one is best. I guess it is the one in your vehicle when you need it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

If I preemptively changed out my batteries every 3 years then I'd be due now to buy my third set. With monitoring the voltage and paying attention to how the starter sounds I've never been "stuck" with a dead battery. At least not since I've grown up and made money. When I was very young I drove around for months with a dead battery until I could afford a replacement. Those were manual transmissions and I would park on a hill so I could let gravity "push start" it.

I have always purchased the highest quality and capacity that will fit in the battery holder. When I get an indication that they are going south then I replace them. Obviously anything CAN happen and does. I've seen brand new batteries that are defective. ANyway, I figure if I'll never be "stuck" with a dead battery. Keep jumper cables in the truck, have roadside service and if towing there's a spare battery behind the truck.

This has worked for me for the 50+ years that I've had a driver's license but YMMV.

Tags
battery, tow, tow vehicle