Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We've had this conversation before without success. Asking questions but refusing to provide any information to be able to answer them, then telling everyone of your expertise in all things towing because you hot shot is, well, less than confidence inspiring.

Your decision to get a bigger truck was inevitable if you were to be safe...as we said you needed to. It's appreciated that you advised on the decision you made but the arrogance, without any demonstrated experience other than working in the oilfield, is very off putting and as a previous poster said - more like trolling.

As far as the truck; thinking it has a higher payload because it has the towing pkg....forget it, you lost it with that useless brush guard on the front that only adds weight (decreases payload) and cuts mpg. Tuners, new intake and exhaust will yield nothing to speak of on a newer engine - btdt. The one unmistakable thing it does is increase the cab noise greatly. When I was 20 all the noise may have been "cool" even if it wasn't of any benefit but I outgrew that.

The 6.4 is a great engine. I didn't catch what year the truck is but I've owned new ones since 2014. They have greatly improved them in just those few short years. Trying to do all the mods you suggest on a newer 6.4, which has been highly tuned to provide the best numbers along with longevity isn't the best approach IMO. It is however a good way to throw away money to say one made some mods to an engine. Heck, I'd give you that new K&N cold air intake sitting in my attic that I took off after 3 months but I leave it there to remind me of my mistake (and not to repeat it) every time I walk up in the attic.

Post back with those scale numbers - which obviously mean nothing since you won't post the numbers of the truck.
I didn't add the brush guard, im deleting it and a hand held tuner i agree are worthless, im talking custom tuning via hp tuners, i heard the transmission tuning bin particular is junk.. so rv'ng isnt my hobby, i jusy happen to live in one full time, hot rodding and customs and racing are my hobbys, I think with full bolt ons and tunes i can squeak another 35-40 hp out of it.... worth the money to do that? absolutely not, but then again my 2013 corvette i turned into a race car was pretty pointless too except I thought it was cool.

Im not trolling i just don't care for the condencending nature of this forum full of "experts" but i will post the scale weights once i get them and let others who have similar rigs decide for themselves how much truck is appropriate , especially when going from this forum which gives good advice, just ultra conservative advice on weights.

Edit Sorry its a 2014 Tradesman, has 5th wheel prep, max towing and built in trailer brake controller, im guessing 4:11 gears because of tow package, i haven't even got to drive it yet
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

We have lots of folks new to towing and looking for sound advice. We provide that - and try to stay on the conservative side. The last thing someone new to towing, that has never had 7-10k strapped behind them, needs is to be "pushing the envelope" because someone has tried a one off and implies to all that it's the way to go. That is a recipe for disaster in someone's lives that could affect them and their family forever. If someone wants to live on the edge, make endless mods to their vehicle etc. that's great, btdt too many times. But the end product of that endeavor is NOT what a newbie for their first RV is going to be doing.

The tow package on a 2014 could very well not have the 4.10 ratio; it could very easily be the 3.73 (and wouldn't surprise me if it was). The 6 speed tranny is the weak spot in that combo with a huge hole between 2nd and 3rd. Depending on the weight behind you that hole can really put you in a bind if you don't run it up in 2nd.

As far as throwing money (away) into vehicles for fun I get it. I've done it most of my life although "race cars" and hot rodding went away 30 years ago then I got into 4 wheeling. Among them I put almost 40k into an old Ramcharger because I liked the looks of it then gave it to my grandson. Put 20k into my old Jeep CJ7 then gave it away when I sold my mountain house in March. I understand doing it "to do it".

Let us know what those scale numbers are along with the specs for your truck. I figure having owned them I can pretty much tell you what yours is but I'm not going to guess. If you don't want anyone to comment or advise on your situation and won't post the truck numbers, it's a waste of time to post the scale weights since there is no reference for them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #23
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We have lots of folks new to towing and looking for sound advice. We provide that - and try to stay on the conservative side. The last thing someone new to towing, that has never had 7-10k strapped behind them, needs is to be "pushing the envelope" because someone has tried a one off and implies to all that it's the way to go. That is a recipe for disaster in someone's lives that could affect them and their family forever. If someone wants to live on the edge, make endless mods to their vehicle etc. that's great, btdt too many times. But the end product of that endeavor is NOT what a newbie for their first RV is going to be doing.

The tow package on a 2014 could very well not have the 4.10 ratio; it could very easily be the 3.73 (and wouldn't surprise me if it was). The 6 speed tranny is the weak spot in that combo with a huge hole between 2nd and 3rd. Depending on the weight behind you that hole can really put you in a bind if you don't run it up in 2nd.

As far as throwing money (away) into vehicles for fun I get it. I've done it most of my life although "race cars" and hot rodding went away 30 years ago then I got into 4 wheeling. Among them I put almost 40k into an old Ramcharger because I liked the looks of it then gave it to my grandson. Put 20k into my old Jeep CJ7 then gave it away when I sold my mountain house in March. I understand doing it "to do it".

Let us know what those scale numbers are along with the specs for your truck. I figure having owned them I can pretty much tell you what yours is but I'm not going to guess. If you don't want anyone to comment or advise on your situation and won't post the truck numbers, it's a waste of time to post the scale weights since there is no reference for them.
I didn't mean to say I wouldn't tell specs, just that I wasn't doing the obligatory sticker post. Ive told them to best of my memory and knowledge thus far though
Old 11-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #24
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've got this cool picture but I'm not driving.
Not to derail this - but Marshall did you ever make it down here for a Shuttle launch? What a thrill to watch! Beach night launches were cool but to stand at the clock in the grass at the launch area only 3 miles off and watch her fly was spectacular! Miss those shuttles.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
Sarge2

Last time one of our patrol cars hit a deer the push bumper sent it over the push bumper and onto the hood and windshield... but the Explorer is a bit lower than the pickup...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #26
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Last time one of our patrol cars hit a deer the push bumper sent it over the push bumper and onto the hood and windshield... but the Explorer is a bit lower than the pickup...
My experience with the brush guards is that if you hit something even at 7 mph, when it folds back it ruins ligbts bumper and hood where without it only creases the bumper... learned that in a 2012 F350 ...oops since then i delete them from anything i buy, and replace entire bumper with an off-road style steel bumper
Old 11-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Ranch Hand Grill Guards are pretty sturdy and a deer won't win but you are right; if you can afford one of the full bumper set ups, they are about as strong as you can get. I just can't afford a new one and they don't come up used on craigslist often.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:19 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Not to derail this - but Marshall did you ever make it down here for a Shuttle launch? What a thrill to watch! Beach night launches were cool but to stand at the clock in the grass at the launch area only 3 miles off and watch her fly was spectacular! Miss those shuttles.
No unfortunately, we have friends that liven utside Orlando but every time we went down the launch delays were too long for us to stay. Of course now that I'm retired and have the time...... No launches.

I've seen a few near Wallops Island VA but they don't compare.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #29
LERD

The DW and I did manage to see 1 shuttle launch in 07. We used to have a time-share in Daytona Beach and we always planned on October trips. Still warm enough to enjoy the pool and the ocean. Space shuttle Discovery that year just had 1 delay after another. So we were really hoping that they got it figured out in time to catch the launch. Since it was still not definite, we drove to Titusville and stood right by the shore of the river looking east. Well we got lucky, everything was a good and an hour later we just watched in amazement. Seeing that was spectacular, and actually feeling it was even better. I'll never forget that rumble!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #30
Deeds

Geeze everyone! Hey OP congrats on the new tow vehicle it looks like a very nice truck and hope your happy with it! I'm sure your not an idiot so I'd assume you'll weigh it and be safe about everything since your obviously well informed on the weight **** and what they do! Enjoy the truck good job getting something bigger! Be safe and enjoy!
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #31
vancouverbrian

I will add a few words and try to be constructive.

As others here will tell you, guessing is not something that is something you should attempt when dealing with safety. It is easy to look at the door jam of the truck and the sticker on the trailer to see real, legal numbers. For the trailer, the important number is the GVW which is a loaded trailer and industry standard estimate on a TT is 9 to 14 % as your tongue weight. With the truck, the important number is the payload information. The available payload to tow the trailer is the GVWR less the scale number of the truck with tools, people, hitch etc included. The payload number from the manufacturer will never change even if you modify the truck. Also, to be safe on the road, it is best to have a safety margin and not to be at max payload.

When it comes to axles, legally you need to be aware and in compliance of the GVAR of each axle, but the payload is usually the issue when it comes to towing.

Another thing, if you are thinking of upgrading your truck, many make the mistake of buying a 3/4 ton truck and then learning that the legal number does not increase much because of the definition of what a 3/4 ton is (under 10,000lbs GVWR). A full 1 ton pick up is usually the best route when towing an RV unless the trailer is undersized and no intention of getting a larger trailer. Again it is payload that is usually the critical number when it comes to towing. Especially when it comes to fifth wheels. I know yours is a TT and it puts less weight on the pickup but remember that weight is on the very end of the truck versus a fifth wheel which is centered over the rear wheels.

The towing capacity of the truck is also a number put out by the manufacturers and you need to keep within that number also, but it is usually not as hidden as payload and therefore easier to keep wthin.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian View Post
The towing capacity of the truck is also a number put out by the manufacturers and you need to keep within that number also, but it is usually not as hidden as payload and therefore easier to keep wthin.
Just a quick verification from one of the so called "weight ****"!
Personally I prefer "weight police" as I'm not forcing anyone to do anything other than inform, they're big kids & can do with the information as they please.
The payload is not hidden, it's posted on the door jamb of all late model vehicles along with the other pertinent weights. The max tow weight you won't find posted on that vehicle, you'll only found that number in advertising or from the salesman's mouth, basically it's the hidden number.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #33
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
Geeze everyone! Hey OP congrats on the new tow vehicle it looks like a very nice truck and hope your happy with it! I'm sure your not an idiot so I'd assume you'll weigh it and be safe about everything since your obviously well informed on the weight **** and what they do! Enjoy the truck good job getting something bigger! Be safe and enjoy!
So, I’m curious about what in your mind constitutes a “weight ****”? Since you address this comment to “everyone”, does that include me? If so then I take offense and submit that challenging others to adhere to the DOT regulations is much more useful than patting someone on the head and encouraging them to do there own thing.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #34
vancouverbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just a quick verification from one of the so called "weight ****"!
Personally I prefer "weight police" as I'm not forcing anyone to do anything other than inform, they're big kids & can do with the information as they please.
The payload is not hidden, it's posted on the door jamb of all late model vehicles along with the other pertinent weights. The max tow weight you won't find posted on that vehicle, you'll only found that number in advertising or from the salesman's mouth, basically it's the hidden number.

I am a retired professional driver and take this seriously. I try hard not to denigrate anyone if they are learning or trying to do things right and asking for help. I meant hidden in that the payload number on the door does not mean that you can put that much tongue weight for a TT or on your frame with a fifth wheel because you need to dig deeper and deduct other weight that you put into your truck...hitch, people etc. So there is a calculation required and the real payload left is not clear at first glance and therefore is hidden. I would recommend taking the truck over the scale as you would go on a trip and also the trailer as fully loaded to find real world numbers.
vancouverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #35
Deeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
So, I’m curious about what in your mind constitutes a “weight ****”? Since you address this comment to “everyone”, does that include me? If so then I take offense and submit that challenging others to adhere to the DOT regulations is much more useful than patting someone on the head and encouraging them to do there own thing.
Everyone was very quick to jump on the guy about weights! Its said here time and time again! The guy just bought a new tv and I'm sure it didn't come cheap it would be a major blunder on his end if it wasnt enough and if that's the case then he'd have to leave some stuff at home or not go! The first page was weight patrolling and not one person said congrats on the major investment! I'm not pointing fingers at you for anything you may or may not have said but if roles were reversed and you bought a new truck wouldn't it be nice to hear that it looks nice? Not weight police here and remove brush guard there? I'm a commercial driver and when I see overloaded vehicles If I'm able i say something! But in his case hes looking to get ahold of the numbers but he knows he needs to! Some people do math first others buy first it would be his mistake! I'd rather see the dodge pulling the camper than the 1500 chevy!
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #36
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
Everyone was very quick to jump on the guy about weights! Its said here time and time again! The guy just bought a new tv and I'm sure it didn't come cheap it would be a major blunder on his end if it wasnt enough and if that's the case then he'd have to leave some stuff at home or not go! The first page was weight patrolling and not one person said congrats on the major investment! I'm not pointing fingers at you for anything you may or may not have said but if roles were reversed and you bought a new truck wouldn't it be nice to hear that it looks nice? Not weight police here and remove brush guard there? I'm a commercial driver and when I see overloaded vehicles If I'm able i say something! But in his case hes looking to get ahold of the numbers but he knows he needs to! Some people do math first others buy first it would be his mistake! I'd rather see the dodge pulling the camper than the 1500 chevy!
If you go back and read the original post, the OP brought up the issue of weights and legality and then asked if he "did ok". Several of the forum members attempted to point out issues and answer his question. I for one do not understand why another member would apply such an offensive term to other members who were actually trying to help. None of us get paid to do this - we do it because we want to share our experiences and see other members be successful, safe, and happy.

No one expects us all to agree on some subjects; there will always be a "back and forth" communication on some topics. But we ARE required to do so in a respectful manner at all times. Thanks!

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ork&page=rules
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 11-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

I have removed the offensive word from all posts starting with post #30 and subsequent. Use of tha word in question is not only offensive to most people, it's also considered vulgar and is against the forum rules. Let this post serve as a warning to those involved to STOP using the word on this forum. This is your one and only warning. Use of the word in any future post will result in termination of forum membership.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #38
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have removed the offensive word from all posts starting with post #30 and subsequent. Use of tha word in question is not only offensive to most people, it's also considered vulgar and is against the forum rules. Let this post serve as a warning to those involved to STOP using the word on this forum. This is your one and only warning. Use of the word in any future post will result in termination of forum membership.

A genuine thank you from me for your judicious moderating of this forum. It is nice to have a place to hang out that is civil. We have enough craziness going on in our poor country that it is nice to have an escape from the turmoil and vitriol.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #39
LewisB

^^^What George said X 2!
Thanks John!
Brad
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
Old 11-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #40
81SHOVELHEAD

Plenty enough truck . My 2015 2500 6.4 Hemi Ram looks exactly like that truck . Might want to recheck your payload . Mine with 373 gears has a payload capacity of 3130.