Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2020, 04:39 AM   #1
Mongoose9400

Question Installing a New Awning.

What is needed to install a new awning? Not replacing an awning, but installing an awning where one was not factory installed?

Is it as simple as finding where the studs are in the wall and measuring for the awning size, bolt it on and run power? Or, does there need to be some factory prep in the walls and across the top where the awning would bolt up?

I’m trying to add an awning over the rear side pedestrian garage door, 2018 Raptor 3513P.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I'd determine EXACTLY what size and brand of awning you want/need to install, then Google that phrase: "Installation instructions for a Carefree (or other brand) awning". You'll get numerous "hits" with the term "pdf" in the title. Click on them and you'll open the manufacturer's installation instructions that provide exactly what is needed to install that specific awning. The instructions are, essentially, a copy of the installation instructions that are included in the box when the awning is shipped. They will have all the necessary information on where to locate the awning, how to install it, what power requirements are needed as well as any additional equipment/supplies are needed that do not come with the awning. You'll need things like an awning rail (to slide the awning into on the trailer side) sealant, butyl putty tape, switches, lights, wiring, connectors and a "fairly well equipped tool box" with a drill, crimping tool, screwdrivers and wrenches.

If you're looking for "where to drill the holes in a specific trailer model, someone who has done the task may be able to give you how/where they installed their awning, but before even starting, you'll need to determine size, brand and model for what YOU want to install.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
Mongoose9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, I'd determine EXACTLY what size and brand of awning you want/need to install, then Google that phrase: "Installation instructions for a Carefree (or other brand) awning". You'll get numerous "hits" with the term "pdf" in the title. Click on them and you'll open the manufacturer's installation instructions that provide exactly what is needed to install that specific awning. The instructions are, essentially, a copy of the installation instructions that are included in the box when the awning is shipped. They will have all the necessary information on where to locate the awning, how to install it, what power requirements are needed as well as any additional equipment/supplies are needed that do not come with the awning. You'll need things like an awning rail (to slide the awning into on the trailer side) sealant, butyl putty tape, switches, lights, wiring, connectors and a "fairly well equipped tool box" with a drill, crimping tool, screwdrivers and wrenches.

If you're looking for "where to drill the holes in a specific trailer model, someone who has done the task may be able to give you how/where they installed their awning, but before even starting, you'll need to determine size, brand and model for what YOU want to install.

That’s a good suggestion. I’ll review the installation instructions for the awning I’m looking at.

To clarify my original question:
*Would the RV need to come from the factory with any special in the walls to support a new awning?
Or
*Awnings can be added after the fact as long as you follow the manufactures installation instructions?

Keystone is saying my trailer can’t support a new awning in the place I want. According to the dealer who called in to Keystone to check if we could add it. My plan was to hire a professional (or dealer) to install the awning.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can find some documentation that shows if that awning was an available option, then i would say its got the proper framework, otherwise I would think installing on a sidewall would require locating the vertical studs and then try to find an awning that size. Carefree does make a "box" awning like the ones on the rear porch, but from experience they arent light and require a wider than normal rail to install.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Older "manual awnings" attach at the top of the sidewall with the awning rail and upper sidearm attachments. The lower sidearm attachment points are "on the trailer floor/outrigger points. That's the point where the j-wrap and the FILON meet, usually covered by a "screw strip/vinyl molding".... If your trailer doesn't have the structure to mount an awning in the location you want, you can "almost always" install a manual awning almost anywhere on the trailer sidewall. Keep in mine, the "sidearm hardware" won't match what's on the other awning, but you can usually find the same awning fabric, so when they are deployed or when they are rolled up, there's very little that's "different" between the two awnings... Some people don't mind that difference, some don't like it "one little bit".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Because awnings are a fixed length, it's very unlikely the supports that attach to the wall of your specific camper will match perfect. Depending on what the wall are actually filled with (Styrofoam or batting insulation), you can attach with Molly bolts, or drill completely through the wall to the inside and bolt them from the inside of the camper. However, then you need to disguise the bolts and nuts on the inside of the camper so they are not obvious. However, if you get lucky and the arms match the studs, then you are the lucky one. Before ordering the awning assembly, locate each stud on that wall and get exact measurements so you know exactly what you need to match the stud distance. Otherwise, you'll be drilling holes.

Tags
awning