Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Cold Weather Furnace Questions

Hello again all...

We're up in Mt Pleasant Michigan for three weeks. The coolest night was last Sunday night according to forecasts etc, 30 degrees. Now it's in the lies 40's at night.

My Raptor 395LEV toy hauler has a gas furnace that, I assume, heats not only the interior of the rig, but also the under belly, I get that.

My upper AC ducted system has an electric heating function. So I figured that as its not freezing out, why run the gas furnace when the electric is free to use. It of course will only come out the ducted ceiling vents and that's fine with me. It seems to be working well, but probably not designed for quite this cold of weather. It will keep us at 71 inside at night and that's great I believe.

My upper main bathroom floor is warm to the feet as well as over the floor air duct area in the main living area.

So here's my question? How am I getting warmth in the bathroom and main living area floor from the overhead AC heating function?

There's no problem, but I guessed the under belly would just be on its own while running the upper heat only.

Thanks in advance.
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Dan Lockwood

139 views and no thoughts?

Like I said, there's no problem, I'm really curious how my Extreme Weather Package functions.

The wife and I are going to be riding the old Harley Shovelhead over to a car cruise in Midland this evening if it warms up a bit...��

Thanks for looking...
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Old 10-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
139 views and no thoughts?

Like I said, there's no problem, I'm really curious how my Extreme Weather Package functions.

The wife and I are going to be riding the old Harley Shovelhead over to a car cruise in Midland this evening if it warms up a bit...��

Thanks for looking...
I'm confused Dan. Do you have electric heat such as a heat strip with your AC system or a heat pump? And if it has a heat strip that is what we used for heating in our old holiday rambler until we got rid of it many years ago. Seemed to keep our 32 footer warm many a winter in the colder northern arizona winters.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Dan Lockwood

Bit exactly sure what I have.

On my thermostat I have left to doughy, AC, OFF, Gas Heat, Elec Heat.

When on Elec Heat, my overhead AC main unit is running and blowing air into the upper ducted system. And yes, warm air. Not sure how our what makes the heat in the AC unit though. I just assumed it was like electric radiant heat in a house, but the element is inside the AC unit and the fans just blow over the element to distribute the great. That is just speculation on my part though.

But what got my curiosity up was that with the Elec Heat on, the bathroom and main living area floor is warm to the feet right in line with the floor heat duct system. NO air is coming up out of the floor registers, just a slight warmth to the floor.

Does that help explain what I have?

Thanks
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Bit exactly sure what I have.

On my thermostat I have left to doughy, AC, OFF, Gas Heat, Elec Heat.

When on Elec Heat, my overhead AC main unit is running and blowing air into the upper ducted system. And yes, warm air. Not sure how our what makes the heat in the AC unit though. I just assumed it was like electric radiant heat in a house, but the element is inside the AC unit and the fans just blow over the element to distribute the great. That is just speculation on my part though.

But what got my curiosity up was that with the Elec Heat on, the bathroom and main living area floor is warm to the feet right in line with the floor heat duct system. NO air is coming up out of the floor registers, just a slight warmth to the floor.

Doors that help explain what I have?

Thanks
Maybe tank heaters..
Old 10-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Maybe tank heaters..
If tank heaters, are they temperature activated normally?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Generally on a switch..
Old 10-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
purebred

I was looking at the specs for your trailer and according to the NADA guide there was an option for hydronic heating with your trailer. Maybe that is what's keeping the floor warm. That's how a hydronic system works. If you do have the hydronic system I would guess it would be the electric type rather than water or some other type. But I don't know for sure. I didn't see a heat pump offered for your unit so I'm assuming its heat strips in your 15000 btu units. But i could be wrong.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Generally on a switch..
Both, switch supplies power, they have thermostat that activates when below freezing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace