Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
nedneiley

New to RV life. Just purchased a Keystone 340BH

Newby to RV life. Have always had a deep interest and am ready to take the plunge. Diving right in. Just purchased a 2021 Outback 340BH that I plan to learn with and then rent through Outdoorsy in the RI/MA/CT market. This looked liked a reasonably priced and well equipped unit that would be comfortable for a family of 6. I know it will accommodate up to 8 but I assume 6 comfortably. Open to any suggestions or recommendations for alternative campers. I can still change my mind.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments. I have pretty tough skin so please don't be shy!

Ned from RI
nedneiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedneiley View Post
Newby to RV life. Have always had a deep interest and am ready to take the plunge. Diving right in. Just purchased a 2021 Outback 340BH that I plan to learn with and then rent through Outdoorsy in the RI/MA/CT market. This looked liked a reasonably priced and well equipped unit that would be comfortable for a family of 6. I know it will accommodate up to 8 but I assume 6 comfortably. Open to any suggestions or recommendations for alternative campers. I can still change my mind.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments. I have pretty tough skin so please don't be shy!

Ned from RI

Welcome to the forum! That looks like a great floor plan for a family. Not sure about renting a camper... do folks rent and then drive the camper to a campground they choose or is it to be parked and they camp where you parked it? In any case, you are braver than I as a bunkhouse means kid-critters and they can be hard on campers. Anyway, best of luck with your plan.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
notanlines

I would think long and hard before renting ANY rv, including popup camper. No, really I wouldn’t. It just wouldn’t happen. I’d have nightmares of kids, dogs, cats, smokers, poo-pyramids, and some chefs cooking with garlic and more garlic. Then they’d show up to tow it to their site of choice with an old Ford Ranger from 1985.
Better your learning experience should be from your own actions.
Welcome to the forum!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
jsb5717

Welcome aboard, Ned! That's nice "diving in" spot...should be very comfortable.

Curious, what are you towing it with?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Before you consider renting a Keystone RV to anyone, read the exclusions to the warranty in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have the manual handy, or if you haven't yet bought the RV, you can download the 2021 version of the Owner's Manual here: https://www.keystonerv.com/media/915...anual-2021.pdf

The Warranty is chapter 2 and the exclusions are on pages 8 and 9. In part, the exclusions specifically state that any trailer used for business, rental or commercial purposes are excluded from the warranty provisions. So, buy it, use it one week and then rent it to someone/anyone and if Keystone finds out, you have ZERO warranty... In part, this is what's in chapter 2:

"THE LIMITED BASE AND STRUCTURAL WARRANTIES WILL NOT APPLY TO:

• Recreational vehicles used for business, rental, residential, commercial, or disaster relief purposes, or any purposes other than recreational travel and family camping;
..."

Additionally, the Outback 340BH is a 10,500 pound GVW trailer that's 39' long. It takes a specialized truck, hitch and driver experience to tow that kind of RV. Renting it to "anyone with a family and a half ton pickup" is a prescription for a significant investment loss for you, especially with a "voided warranty"....

Think LONG AND HARD before investing that kind of money with the hope of having someone else pay for it while you get to use it occasionally and recoup your expenses... With today's RV's, that ain't gonna happen.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Before you consider renting a Keystone RV to anyone, read the exclusions to the warranty in the Owner's Manual. If you don't have the manual handy, or if you haven't yet bought the RV, you can download the 2021 version of the Owner's Manual here: https://www.keystonerv.com/media/915...anual-2021.pdf

The Warranty is chapter 2 and the exclusions are on pages 8 and 9. In part, the exclusions specifically state that any trailer used for business, rental or commercial purposes are excluded from the warranty provisions. So, buy it, use it one week and then rent it to someone/anyone and if Keystone finds out, you have ZERO warranty... In part, this is what's in chapter 2:

"THE LIMITED BASE AND STRUCTURAL WARRANTIES WILL NOT APPLY TO:

• Recreational vehicles used for business, rental, residential, commercial, or disaster relief purposes, or any purposes other than recreational travel and family camping;
..."

Additionally, the Outback 340BH is a 10,500 pound GVW trailer that's 39' long. It takes a specialized truck, hitch and driver experience to tow that kind of RV. Renting it to "anyone with a family and a half ton pickup" is a prescription for a significant investment loss for you, especially with a "voided warranty"....

Think LONG AND HARD before investing that kind of money with the hope of having someone else pay for it while you get to use it occasionally and recoup your expenses... With today's RV's, that ain't gonna happen.....

Kind of makes you wonder what the OP's insurance company feels about using an RV as a rental...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
Northofu1

Hide your eyes Jim
I rented out my travel trailer 3x, everyone was screened to the nth °.
You have say as to what they need to tow your trailer, experience / no experience etc.
I had pillow and mattress covers. A mandatory $100 cleaning fee and a $75 tank flush fee, I also delivered if requested to the park of their choice at 1.25 / km.
You set the parameters, you're fully insured. My second rental which was a delivery rental damaged the awning, it had a 7" tear at the seam, in two days I had the $765 put into my account by Outdoorsy for the repair.
The other two renters towed both with 3/4 ton trucks. No issues.
Stuff happens that's for sure, but in the end as long as you walk into it with eyes open then it's not that big a deal. I know it's not for everyone but the people that do it are fine with it. Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Kind of makes you wonder what the OP's insurance company feels about using an RV as a rental...
Your insurance company doesn't pay, Outdoorsy pays.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Gary R.

Hello Ned and welcome to the forum!

Enjoy your new Outback and have fun learning all the nuances about camping and the RV lifestyle.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

Take care,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I guess I'm in the "me" corner. I could not, in my wildest imagination, rent any of my homes or my RV to "anyone". When I walk in I want it smell like, as my GDs say, GM/GP. Why would you do that with anything you owned and wanted for "you"? If one needed the money I would have just forgot buying an RV and put the money in a CD? JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:53 AM   #11
notanlines

Dan, DW came running as soon as she heard me gasp and made me skip your post!
Silly question I guess, but what may have happened to my signature lines on that post? Hmmmm
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone