Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
Bytheriver

Water from lake

Good morning. I have my trailer beside a lake. I’d like to pump water directly into the city water input , not into the water storage tank. Is there a pump that would operate on demand and pump six to eight foot head ?
Bytheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
Chris P

Welcome from New Jersey, Wait ! You want to feed your city water inlet with Lake water? Hmmm that's a new one .
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Bytheriver

To explain. The previous owner stripped the trailer. There is no water pump. I thought where it’s permanent by the lake, I could just pump the water via city water.

I got an Rv pump but not enough power to draw from lake. I could pump water tank full and install the rv oump on water tank and that might be my best solution.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Lake water? Are you going to treat or filter it? That could be a deadly experience if you don't know the source and quality of the water. Like a well water system you would need an accumulator tank and some form of water treatment.

Lake or other "open" bodies of water such as streams are often used for agriculture for animals and crops but not for human consumption without a constantly monitored treatment facility. Well water by definition is underground, therefore the aquifer water is being filtered by that substructure and not as susceptible to containments'. Underground aquifers stay at a constant temperature as well.

Open source water is susceptible to rain water runoff contamination, animal contamination, algae blooms from hot weather, parasites, heavy metals, insecticides, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

100 years ago maybe you could have pumped from the lake...and that's a big maybe. Folks back then got sick frequently from drinking tainted open water.

Nowadays virtually all open bodies of water have been contaminated with something. I've not seen anyone, anywhere individually pumping water in for human consumption. I have however, unfortunatedly, seen sewer lines running out the back side of properties dumping into a body of water.

My recommendation would be to find another source of water. If you are determined to use the lake water you probably need to determine if you need some sort of permit, water right etc. After that I would build a water treatment plant......or, buy a new trailer, or, haul in water.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
Bytheriver

To clarify the water from river, not lake would be for toilet only. I have drinking water in bottles and filters and bacteria filter on supply line as well
Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome.
You may want to try a shallow well pump if the lift you need is not more than 25 feet. You will need ac power for it or any other transfer pump able to give that lift. Also if you do not need too much pressure a pond/fountain/waterfall pump might work but you would need to include a pressure shut off switch that the well pump comes with. None that I know of come in 12v dc. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water