Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2020, 01:31 AM   #21
Gary4

I would say don’t buy a 5th wheel that you can’t afford to tow. You’re going to need at least a 350-3500 drw . Check your pin weight.
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #22
Scholl28

[QUOTE=CECarey;381074]I have a 43' 2016 Fuzion Chrome (5th wheeler / Toy hauler) that has a GVW (Loaded) of 19,000lbs.
I have always been a Dodge guy but, I can not find a cost effective truck that can haul the GVW?
I plan on only using this truck to haul my toy hauler ONLY but, I need advice on something that will not labor in the Mountains and be able to slow in the down hill's of Georgia?
-Please know that I am NEW to RV'ing so please let me know everything! I'd do NOT want to be a camper on the side of the road! Thank you in advance!

I have almost the same tiyhauler, fuzion 424. I tow mine with a Dodge dually with the Cummins and it tows great. I actually have the truck up for sale if you are interested.

Dan
Scholl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #23
firestation12

Interesting fact, the Ford F-450 has a wide track front axle that has a 7 1/2 foot SHORTER turning radius than a single wheel drive F-250. It's amazing how it can maneuver. Also, All of the big 3 (diesel) truck manufacturers, have vastly increased towing capacities in their 2020 models.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #24
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CECarey View Post
I have a 43' 2016 Fuzion Chrome (5th wheeler / Toy hauler) that has a GVW (Loaded) of 19,000lbs.
I have always been a Dodge guy but, I can not find a cost effective truck that can haul the GVW?
I plan on only using this truck to haul my toy hauler ONLY but, I need advice on something that will not labor in the Mountains and be able to slow in the down hill's of Georgia?
-Please know that I am NEW to RV'ing so please let me know everything! I'd do NOT want to be a camper on the side of the road! Thank you in advance!
Firstly, welcome to the nomadic world. We’re happy to have you onboard.

Two years ago, my girlfriend and I were where you are today. We bought a Fuzion hauler (17K) to go full time and were adamant about buying a truck that safely and securely tow our new home in severe conditions, whether that be terrain or weather. After what seemed to be endless research, we found the perfect match for our rig, a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Turbo Diesel Duramax 6.6 crew cab with a long bed and 12K miles. We wanted a truck that drove comfortably like a car. We test drove Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet models, and discovered that GMC was the most comfortable ride and powerful tow. Our truck is rated to pull up to 23K, and it handles hills and mountains like a beast, not to mention the exhaust brakes which conveniently holds back the rig on steep grades and gradual slopes on fast suburban freeways. The M gear works well for extremely steep hills. We just slip it in M and the truck goes into tank mode and slowly but surely gets us to the top.

If you haven’t already done so, visit your local GMC dealer and test drive a 3500HD. I believe you’ll be impressed.

Another important factor is the hitch that you buy. We highly recommend a sliding hitch. Our Pull-Rite hitch allows us to take really tight turns like a semi. Their top model will handle your new rig. Please don’t settle for just any hitch.

We also recommend getting an ECS fuel card. You'll save up to .50 per gallon of diesel using the semi fuel stations. This week, in AZ, we're looking at $2.06 per gallon using our ECS card. Just visit https://tsdlogistics.com to sign up.

Best of luck!

BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #25
LivermoreRaptor

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your toy hauler. I just purchased a 2019 F450 DRW to pull our toyhauler. It rides like a Cadillac while towing. Smoother ride with the load. It accelerates uphill if needed. I installed a Retrax pro tonneau cover which hides my B&W hitch and locks while not towing.
My new truck replaced a 2005 DRW F350 that labored while towing. Everyone is correct on the forum. Definitely need the DRW. Any of the big 3 will tow with ease if you buy a newer year. Don't mess with older models. Click image for larger version

Name:	TH1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	25580
LivermoreRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #26
Camp CA

Quote:
...........I can not find a cost effective truck that can haul the GVW?....................

Quote:
..............I can not find a cost effective truck that can haul the GVW................
Consider reaching out to every truck trader across the United States and all the truck dealers in your area for a "used dually with tow package". That is what I did last October. The lowest price truck was a Ford F350 XL Super Duty Crew Cab lease trade-in with 2000 miles listed for $42,000 60 miles from my home. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 4 months because no one wanted and 4 x 2 XL model. The next lowest priced one was a Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab with 8500 miles for $57,000 2000 miles away. I drove down to dealer and bought the one with 2000 miles and added a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty package. I then replaced the steel wheels with OEM-style chrome wheels, replaced the radio with a front and rear backup camera, added a retractable aluminum tonneau cover, curt hitch, window tint, viper alarm and weathertech floor mats, mud guards and window deflectors. Way cheaper than buying a new dually truck. I will that for my next purchase.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #27
johnlewis

Forget about the "maximum trailer rating" on the truck label. You will exceed payload before you reach the maximum trailer rating. Look at "hitch load" (GVWR minus truck loaded with fuel, passengers, hitch and any items you will carry in the truck). With a trailer weight of 19,000 lb., the hitch load will be 20% (3,800 lbs) to 22% (4,180 lbs) of trailer GWR. Our 2012 DRW Ram can't handle that kind of hitch load. Maybe the 2020's can. If not, look at a 450 series, 550 series or medium duty truck. Check the internet. You will find plenty of websites with used units for sale, with all kinds of trim levels.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post
Forget about the "maximum trailer rating" on the truck label. You will exceed payload before you reach the maximum trailer rating. Look at "hitch load" (GVWR minus truck loaded with fuel, passengers, hitch and any items you will carry in the truck). With a trailer weight of 19,000 lb., the hitch load will be 20% (3,800 lbs) to 22% (4,180 lbs) of trailer GWR. Our 2012 DRW Ram can't handle that kind of hitch load. Maybe the 2020's can. If not, look at a 450 series, 550 series or medium duty truck. Check the internet. You will find plenty of websites with used units for sale, with all kinds of trim levels.
Well in 2013 Ram upgraded their 3500 again and the GVW went from 12,300# to 14,000#. Our 2016 Ram Laramie HO/Aisin with 5th wheel prep has a yellow sticker payload of 5,411# loaded with hitch ready to tow
We have about 4,000# of that left.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #29
66joej

Quote:
..............I can not find a cost effective truck that can haul the GVW................

Try Canada. With our dollar almost worthless versus the US$ at this time you can get a heck of a deal. LOTS of big PUs for sale in Alberta with the oil crash. Just a suggestion.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #30
mikz86ta

Sounds like our RV. 2016 Fuzion Chrome FZ420.
We have a 2011 Sierra 3500HD Duramax dually. Dually makes towing feel more secure, especially turns and terrain. The 2011 LML Duramax added some frame upgrades, integrated exhaust brake and integrated trailer brake controller. So an older GM would have been lacking. Plus in stock (non-modded, non-deleted/tuned) form, this trucks power and towing specs are a good fit for this 5er.
Of course a newer big3 Diesel dually would be even better....but just could not financially afford one.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #31
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Consider reaching out to every truck trader across the United States and all the truck dealers in your area for a "used dually with tow package". That is what I did last October. The lowest price truck was a Ford F350 XL Super Duty Crew Cab lease trade-in with 2000 miles listed for $42,000 60 miles from my home. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 4 months because no one wanted and 4 x 2 XL model. The next lowest priced one was a Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab with 8500 miles for $57,000 2000 miles away. I drove down to dealer and bought the one with 2000 miles and added a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty package. I then replaced the steel wheels with OEM-style chrome wheels, replaced the radio with a front and rear backup camera, added a retractable aluminum tonneau cover, curt hitch, window tint, viper alarm and weathertech floor mats, mud guards and window deflectors. Way cheaper than buying a new dually truck. I will that for my next purchase.
So basically due to 4x2 and a more basic trim and option package, you bought a HD truck that was perfect for towing a heavy load with probably room to spare. Smart!

And the things you added were logical tow helpful stuff. If you buy a Lariat with the technology package you get some needed things rolled in with some fluff. Lol

Side note, we seen 4 350SDs here locally...3 Lariats with fluff and 1 STX. The STX is like a XL but had chrome bumpers, a nice grill, the aluminum wheels and some towing options that are needed. Kinda perfect. Just a plainer interior. If I could do a new truck, I'd get it!
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #32
gearhead

Consider what rear end ratio you will need. Either 3.73 or 4.10. For a Ram look for the heavy duty Aisin transmission. I pull 17,500# with 4,500# pin weight no issues with my truck, Ram 3500 dually with 3.73. If all I used it for was 5th wheel towing I would go with 4.10 rear end. I'm thinking my yellow sticker payload is 5,500. Look at that yellow sticker in the drivers side door opening before you buy anything.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #33
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Sounds like our RV. 2016 Fuzion Chrome FZ420.
We have a 2011 Sierra 3500HD Duramax dually. Dually makes towing feel more secure, especially turns and terrain. The 2011 LML Duramax added some frame upgrades, integrated exhaust brake and integrated trailer brake controller. So an older GM would have been lacking. Plus in stock (non-modded, non-deleted/tuned) form, this trucks power and towing specs are a good fit for this 5er.
Of course a newer big3 Diesel dually would be even better....but just could not financially afford one.
Before 2020 GM was lacking GVWR, the max was 13,025# or 975# less than Ford and Ram.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:57 AM   #34
CECarey

What Truck to choose?

Hey Dan, What do you have for sale? Contact me via PM
CECarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 AM   #35
rhagfo

Quote:
Hey Dan, What do you have for sale? Contact me via PM
Ram greatly updated payload for their 3500’s in 2013, before GVWR was 12,300#, after the GVWR went to 14,000#.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #36
dutchmensport

For that load? Bigger is better, bigger than that is even better yet. You are in the MTD territory there. I have a 3500 diesel dully and can't imagine dragging something with 19,000 pounds.

Something to think about? "It" may pull it. But, can "it" stop it if you trailer all of a sudden has brake failure?

(This actually happened to us with our last travel trailer and the 1 ton braked so well, I didn't even realize I forgot to plug in the pigtail to the truck. Then again when the trailer brakes actually shorted out, same trailer. But that was a much lighter trailer.)

The real test came when I forgot to plug in the pig tail for my 11,000 pound 5er, (same truck), and even there, the truck had control of the trailer stopping.

But 19,000 pounds with no brakes ... I don't think my truck could do that. Especially in mountains.

For that weight and for your safety, you are in MTD terretory.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #37
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
...Consider reaching out to every truck trader across the United States and all the truck dealers in your area for a "used dually with tow package"....
Also, your local Ford dealer can do a "Ford Dealer Network" search of every Ford dealer in the US/Canada. Outline your minimum specs and have him do the search. Candidates will have LOTS of pictures, a CarFacts, detailed maintenance history, window sticker, etc. Look up the Ford order codes and other information on line. This allows you to know exactly what you are getting. When you find one you like, agree to pay the transportation charges to your dealer for a detailed inspection (about $1K). If you change your mind for no specific reason, you pay the transportation. If the truck is not exactly as specified and inspected by your dealer, the network pays the charges. We've found and previously purchased both an F450 DRW and an F350 DRW this way. One year old trucks with a sticker of almost $70K, low miles (like 20K), and paid about $40K out the door. Bought the extended warranties and added what we wanted and still saved thousands over new! Does take a dealer with whom you have some faith.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #38
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Interesting fact, the Ford F-450 has a wide track front axle that has a 7 1/2 foot SHORTER turning radius than a single wheel drive F-250. It's amazing how it can maneuver. Also, All of the big 3 (diesel) truck manufacturers, have vastly increased towing capacities in their 2020 models.
I had an F450 and an F350 for the business. The difference in maneuverability was stunning. It really shines when backing the large trailers too. Sold the F350 and got another F450. The price premium is worth it. Backing into some of the tight campgrounds is a breeze in the F450.

On another note, while 19,000 is heavy for a 5th wheel, it is nothing for the construction folks. I currently pull a gooseneck trailer rated a 30,000 lbs. Loaded with the excavator, the truck, trailer and load scaled over 36,000 lbs. and that is still 5,000 lbs below the GCWR of the F450.

So, as you've been told, any of the DRW 350/3500/450/4500 trucks will handle the trailer.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #39
Camp CA

Quote:
.............GVW (Loaded) of 19,000lbs.............I can not find a cost effective truck that can haul the GVW.........
Curious what your budget is and any color preferences? For that GVW I would be looking for a F450 dually and used for cost effectiveness. Just saw a used 2019 F450 XLT listed on autotrader for $53,000. Lots of used ones with reasonably low lies also listed for ~$75,000.

https://www.autotrader.com
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #40
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Also, your local Ford dealer can do a "Ford Dealer Network" search of every Ford dealer in the US/Canada. Outline your minimum specs and have him do the search. Candidates will have LOTS of pictures, a CarFacts, detailed maintenance history, window sticker, etc. Look up the Ford order codes and other information on line. This allows you to know exactly what you are getting. When you find one you like, agree to pay the transportation charges to your dealer for a detailed inspection (about $1K). If you change your mind for no specific reason, you pay the transportation. If the truck is not exactly as specified and inspected by your dealer, the network pays the charges. We've found and previously purchased both an F450 DRW and an F350 DRW this way. One year old trucks with a sticker of almost $70K, low miles (like 20K), and paid about $40K out the door. Bought the extended warranties and added what we wanted and still saved thousands over new! Does take a dealer with whom you have some faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I had an F450 and an F350 for the business. The difference in maneuverability was stunning. It really shines when backing the large trailers too. Sold the F350 and got another F450. The price premium is worth it. Backing into some of the tight campgrounds is a breeze in the F450.

On another note, while 19,000 is heavy for a 5th wheel, it is nothing for the construction folks. I currently pull a gooseneck trailer rated a 30,000 lbs. Loaded with the excavator, the truck, trailer and load scaled over 36,000 lbs. and that is still 5,000 lbs below the GCWR of the F450.

So, as you've been told, any of the DRW 350/3500/450/4500 trucks will handle the trailer.
There are a couple other brands of trucks just as capable that don't begin with a "F" also.
Just my .02 cents!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote