Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Danny,

If I remember, there were a couple of issues with the HC stackable washer/dryer cabinet. I'm not certain about the exact details, but there was some issue with the cabinet not being deep enough ??? Maybe it was that there wasn't enough room for the dryer vent behind the units and the door wouldn't close on the cabinet ??? I just don't remember, but you might, if you're looking at a stackable washer/dryer, have it included in the deal, that way there's no surprise after you drag it off the lot, and find there's an issue. In other words, if Keystone hasn't got the problem resolved, let them deal with it, not you

Nice floorplan, BTW, I think you'll love towing a fifth wheel and, once you get over the "stairclimbing" every time you go to the bathroom, you'll love the added "concept of space" that the tall ceiling provide.

Thanks John. I don't know anything about a w/d in an RV but I did tell the GM to add that to the deal, install it etc. I totally want it to be part of the "package".

The stairs in a 5th wheel have always been a no go for us. After my 7th knee surgery on my R knee (not counting the left) I have actually been able to run around like I did when I was 50. It is great; DW looks at me like I'm on steroids....until the gas runs out etc. No pain, lots of loss of range of motion but those little steps look like they will be OK....until I tumble down them; except I won't come down until I'm up and the bathroom is right there. DW was sold on the large bathroom right off the bat. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #22
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Question?? Does the 331 have a stove/oven vent? I did not see it in the youtube video and have not heard back from the dealer.

No mine doesn't.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:56 AM   #23
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Do a test run of the WD before you need it. They installed mine & the washer didn't drain. They said they installed the waterless trap wrong.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Do a test run of the WD before you need it. They installed mine & the washer didn't drain. They said they installed the waterless trap wrong.

Any decent tech would have ran them after install.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Any decent tech would have ran them after install.
And that there would be the problem. The "decent tech", mechanic, wait staff, store clerk, plumber, repairman, etc., etc. are a dying breed. Seems like most of the last generations want to be neurosurgeons, or at least paid like one.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And that there would be the problem. The "decent tech", mechanic, wait staff, store clerk, plumber, repairman, etc., etc. are a dying breed. Seems like most of the last generations want to be neurosurgeons, or at least paid like one.
JMHO
I retired from the Fed in 1995. Worked in private industry for a few years (most IBM) and the opened a small business in 2004. We lived overseas till 1983 and my first house in suburban College Park was purchased at about $62K (what our budget said we could afford). This is what we could afford and interest rates were obscene. I watch the HGTV and DYI reality shows where first time buyers are asked what their budgets are and it isn't uncommon for $350-500K. I think the kids today are making a bit more than I did when we bought our first house.

Kids today don't go to school to become decent techs, mechanics, clerks or trademen; they go to school to study cultural diversity, political science, art, etc. I paid for my college out of pocket as I went by working summers full time and then after school jobs (multiple) during the school year. Today, kids spend the rest of their lives paying back school loans. Things have changed. For the better? Who knows?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #27
turbo

315rls and F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, here I am....20 questions.

I have posted numerous times about looking for a new 1 ton and new 5th wheel. I've narrowed that down to a Cougar 315rls and a GD 337 rls?

I am leaning, and pretty much inclined, to go with the 315rls. Like the Cougar vs the Reflection. Price is almost identical. Cougar seems, to me, a little nicer inside; Reflection is a GD...but don't know what that means anymore?

My question would be to anyone on the forum that might own the 315rls. Problems, situational things that didn't work, lack pass thru space, AC ducting, etc. The GD has a super nice stove top that I love...the Cougar does not. The Reflection still retains "switches" vs In Command,which I've never had but hate before I do.

Thoughts/insights would be greatly appreciated. Talked to the GM of my CW back in TX and he will make me a heck of a deal on a 315rls. Will take me a 6 day round trip to get it and return plus transferring....but I want to know if the trailer is worth it. Your thoughts are really appreciated.

Looked at these 2 plus the Montana but the latter, while nicer, was very heavy. Picked the 2019 Cougar 315RLS - because of InCommand, big tv, tv in the bedroom, big fireplace, and lovely layout. Very happy with it, love that InCommand lets me in/out both awnings while at the campfire, and turn off lights while in bed. Only issues we had - the outside front yellow LEDs are not accessible via InCommand, and the fridge doesnt open when slides in (by about 1/2 inch!, but easy enough to open slightly to pack the fridge before leaving). Very happy with this and mated it to a 2019 F350 Diesel and B&W 20k manual slider hitch (which Ive fortunately never need to slide as there is lots of cab clearance with this combo). Good luck.
Turbo.
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #28
RET.LEO

I'v been seeing more and more of GD owners complaining about uneven tire wear....turns out to be axles not placed "square".
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
I'v been seeing more and more of GD owners complaining about uneven tire wear....turns out to be axles not placed "square".
The axles, on Keystone trailers anyway, don't come installed on the chassis. The chassis is delivered from Lippert (in stacks of 5) and the axle/spring assemblies are delivered to the line on pallets (10-20 per pallet). When the chassis goes into the line, it's inverted, the "underbelly components are installed, the DACOR/COROPLAST liner is installed and the axles are installed. Then the chassis is turned over (right side up) placed on rollers and moves to the next station on the assembly line.

I would make a "best guess" that the GD process is similar. If so, then the misaligned axles is a GD issue. That may explain why we haven't seen similar tire wear on Keystone trailers....

All it takes (or so it seems) is a "new guy on the line" making the same mistake for days or weeks or months <YIKES> before someone realizes that he didn't do it correctly... What to blame? Training, the guy, the process ?? doesn't much matter when you're buying new tires at 2000 miles....

Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that issue with Keystone's production line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0294.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	24968   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0296.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	24969   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0295.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	24970   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0289.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	24971  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #30
Preyou

Jan 7 was our one year with our 2019 315RLS. It has spent a lot of time at the dealer for service so take that into consideration. Nothing really serious--antenna blew off, blinds that fall, trim that deteriorated, bolt that protruded up through the floor, refrigerator lamp fell out. Nothing major but time and frustration over issues that I feel are primarily QA issues at the plant. You cannot open the refrigerator door with the slide closed due to 1/4" interference--told it was due to metric design and imperial manufacturing. The valve for the #2 grey tank is way under the unit. You have to get on hands and knees to open it. I leave mine open all the time and added a valve at the discharge. InCommand was worked well. Leveling system has not had any issues. I pull with a 2019 F250 with 6.7 diesel. Get about 11 MPG. Oven is fine except for lighting the oven. It does not have a pilot and it takes MANY turns of the igniter to light. OEM says this is normal.
The question is whether I would buy another one. From what I have read in the forums, QA in the plants does not exist. There are no schematics, plumbing drawings, or general info on any of them. We like the unit but would look and talk to owners before purchase.
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:28 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
The axles, on Keystone trailers anyway, don't come installed on the chassis. The chassis is delivered from Lippert (in stacks of 5) and the axle/spring assemblies are delivered to the line on pallets (10-20 per pallet). When the chassis goes into the line, it's inverted, the "underbelly components are installed, the DACOR/COROPLAST liner is installed and the axles are installed. Then the chassis is turned over (right side up) placed on rollers and moves to the next station on the assembly line.

I would make a "best guess" that the GD process is similar. If so, then the misaligned axles is a GD issue. That may explain why we haven't seen similar tire wear on Keystone trailers....

All it takes (or so it seems) is a "new guy on the line" making the same mistake for days or weeks or months <YIKES> before someone realizes that he didn't do it correctly... What to blame? Training, the guy, the process ?? doesn't much matter when you're buying new tires at 2000 miles....

Hopefully we won't see a repeat of that issue with Keystone's production line.
I heard the guy at GD was looking for a job, so this problem could migrate elsewhere.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I heard the guy at GD was looking for a job, so this problem could migrate elsewhere.
That is a very good (and valid) concern... As production grows, then falls, then grows again, "line layoffs" occur at any plant. Those workers have the option of sitting around the house on unemployment or looking for work somewhere else. Many "move down the block" to a different factory, different assembly line, some even move within Keystone to a different facility. Hideouts and Springdales today and Alpines and Montanas tomorrow.... Quality? what's different in the assembly of entry level and luxury models ??? Wonder why there might be a "trim problem in a Montana" ???

Then, there's always the guy that doesn't like his boss, the shift work or can get 50 cents an hour more "where they're hiring this week" and moves for whatever reason. I'm sure every plant has some unique, small differences, even if, to an outsider, the jobs look identical. For instance, at one plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them and verifies the alignment in one sequence while in another plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them, BUT a second worker checks the alignment and then tightens the bolts. Moving from the first to the second would mean a "triple check" while moving from the second to the first would mean the bolts were loose when the trailer is turned over (right side up) to move down the line. Trailers move down the line on dollies and aren't supported by their axles until they are pulled out of the plant "big door". Chances are it would be towed to the dealership with loose bolts in the axle hangers and possibly the big "spring block U bolts" as well...

I can see where a "new guy not familiar with everything" could easily cause many "guffaws" that would/could go undetected until they cause a problem, possibly well after the warranty has expired.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #33
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
That is a very good (and valid) concern... As production grows, then falls, then grows again, "line layoffs" occur at any plant. Those workers have the option of sitting around the house on unemployment or looking for work somewhere else. Many "move down the block" to a different factory, different assembly line, some even move within Keystone to a different facility. Hideouts and Springdales today and Alpines and Montanas tomorrow.... Quality? what's different in the assembly of entry level and luxury models ??? Wonder why there might be a "trim problem in a Montana" ???

Then, there's always the guy that doesn't like his boss, the shift work or can get 50 cents an hour more "where they're hiring this week" and moves for whatever reason. I'm sure every plant has some unique, small differences, even if, to an outsider, the jobs look identical. For instance, at one plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them and verifies the alignment in one sequence while in another plant, the worker installs axles, aligns them, BUT a second worker checks the alignment and then tightens the bolts. Moving from the first to the second would mean a "triple check" while moving from the second to the first would mean the bolts were loose when the trailer is turned over (right side up) to move down the line. Trailers move down the line on dollies and aren't supported by their axles until they are pulled out of the plant "big door". Chances are it would be towed to the dealership with loose bolts in the axle hangers and possibly the big "spring block U bolts" as well...

I can see where a "new guy not familiar with everything" could easily cause many "guffaws" that would/could go undetected until they cause a problem, possibly well after the warranty has expired.....
Which goes right back around to the need for training and verifying that training. Just because Sylvester did the job at GD doesnt mean he can or should do it unsupervised at Keystone. Wait, this starting to sound like a call for better quality control!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #34
Thomson7220

I bought a Cougar 315RLS a year ago. the design fit all our needs. It has been great. We got the king size bed, with second TV and Second AC. Both are a must. Storage is great. Love the command center can be done with your phone. The hook up area is well planned out. Had only minor problems. The main AC went dad, they replaced it. The converter died on last trip December? replaced it and not other problems. They do seem to be about the same. Like the captains chairs in the 337 better. The bathroom has a bigger bath sink area also. the shower in the 315 seems bigger? The new self leveling steps in the 315 are much better. price might be the only thing to sway me if both were matched.
Thomson7220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

QC is an issue that's not isolated to the RV industry.

When I was running my '72 Gran Torino I dropped the pan and shift body on the C4 tranny to install a B&M shift kit. When I did, there was a plastic plug with a plastic rod connected to it lying in the bottom of the pan. I stopped there and held this object in my had trying to figure out where in the world it came from. It wouldn't fit anywhere no matter how I held it. I proceeded to install the shift kit and all worked well. I threw the foreign object in my tool box and went on. A couple of months later I followed my SIL to the local transmission shop for work on her car. I retrieved the object and asked the shop owner if he had ever seen this. He laughed and said "I bet that made you _ _ _ T your pants". He said it was the plug for the dipstick tube for the tranny. The assembly line was supposed to remove it and put it in a bin to reuse on more transmissions. He said they caught a few guys on the line pushing them in the transmission instead. As it didn't effect the transmission Ford never mentioned it.

Part two, my sister and BIL in the late '70's bought a beautiful new Chevy Impala. The transmission was replaced early on (this was when they were putting Vega transmissions in the full sized Chevy's). While it was in the shop they relayed to the shop foreman that every time they stopped, and started they heard a rapid clicking sound and a bang. Come to find out, some assembly worker was putting large nuts in the rocker panel before it was welded shut. Apparently he thought it was funny. Chevy never mentioned it. I guess if your hearing was that bad it was o.k.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #36
Thomson7220

Same here Can't get into refrig. when closed. 1/2 + inch would have been better. But not a big deal. The command center is great like you said does lights, water ,awnings etc, slide outs if needed when outside. Best design I found out there when I was looking at many 12/2019
Thomson7220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar