Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
SeanJK

Soon to be First Time owner

Hello all,

After exhaustive (and exhausting) research my wife and I have settled on the trailer we are going to get as our first. Looking forward to tapping into the collective wisdom here!

Edit: we picked a Bullet 290 BHS
SeanJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Looking forward to hearing what you decided on. Lots of good information and loads of great people here

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome! Now why the suspense ? What are you going to get?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Jim2366

Welcome Sean!
Old 01-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
SeanJK

Lesson one :)

Sorry guys, I guess the first lesson is identify your trailer in the post!!! We have settled on the Keystone Bullet 290bhs. We love the 2020 but won’t be buying this season (need to upgrade my truck), so we will be keep in an eye on redesigns over the next year or so. We were on the lot yesterday and would have driven away with the exact trailer we wanted if we had the money! Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and to RVing.

As a "noobie" you commented that you've picked out your trailer but haven't bought the tow vehicle yet... Keep in mind that your trailer choice is a 34', 11' tall, 7500 pound "square box" that will have a tongue weight of 11-15% of total weight (then add the weight of the hitch). So, at GVW, you're looking at a tongue weight in the range of 825-1250 pounds (plus 125 for the hitch, or a total weight placed on the truck receiver of 950-1375.

When you consider a tow vehicle, realize that if you're in the "top end" of the hitch weight, you won't be able to tow it with an "average half ton truck" and certainly not with any SUV on the road today. Adding the weight of your family, pets, recreational cargo and the trailer, you are going to be at the "extreme top end" of a properly equipped half ton truck and likely will exceed all but the couple of "heavy duty, special order only" models.

Don't be lulled into the trap that so many find themselves in. That's the "buy a "big truck" (when compared to the Escape or Traverse we now drive) and ignore the limitations when compared to the reality of a "heavy trailer advertised in a lightweight brochure".....

Again, welcome to the forum, and here's hoping you don't wind up buying two tow vehicles before you get what you need for a trailer that size !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

To piggyback on what John said, since you are looking at a bunk house I assume you have kiddos. Remember that they will keep growing (in size and weight) and so will their "toys", as well as yours. Buying a truck then buying another one in a year or less to be safe and comfortable towing a trailer is an expensive proposition as many of us here know. Do your homework on that as well and there is a ton of knowledge on this forum to help guide you through it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
SeanJK

JRT thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the Good Sam towing guide and it looks like the new Silverado 2500 HDs have the right towing specs, but I can promise you I will definitely double-check my numbers before I sign on the dotted line. I think the GVWR of the trailer I’m looking at is 7600 lbs with a hitch weight of 705 lbs. Towing is the aspect of buying a trailer that I am most anxious about-do you have any insight into WD hitches etc.? I am going to read through the various forum posts, but if you had any thoughts off the top of your head I am very interested. Thanks again for your input.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

There is a myriad of choices when it comes to Weight distribution and sway control. The price can be all over the place too.

As a tech that installs them, I really like the Equalizer E4, but don’t take it from me as I have only towed a fifth wheel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
SeanJK

Thanks Chuck.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJK View Post
JRT thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the Good Sam towing guide and it looks like the new Silverado 2500 HDs have the right towing specs, but I can promise you I will definitely double-check my numbers before I sign on the dotted line. I think the GVWR of the trailer I’m looking at is 7600 lbs with a hitch weight of 705 lbs. Towing is the aspect of buying a trailer that I am most anxious about-do you have any insight into WD hitches etc.? I am going to read through the various forum posts, but if you had any thoughts off the top of your head I am very interested. Thanks again for your input.
The part of your comment that I bolded is one example of the "double speak" (often called flat out lies) published by nearly all RV manufacturers and truck (tow vehicle manufacturers)… You'll NEVER (did I mention NEVER) find any trailer that will weigh in at it's heaviest weight and its lightest tongue load... Just one example of why "understanding the numbers" is much more important than just "finding something with numbers that fit.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
SeanJK

JRJTH, really valuable information. I think one of the reasons I am going with the 2500 HD is that it is probably overkill in terms of the weight of the trailer I am getting. The first stop after getting the truck will be a weights station, and then the first stop after getting the trailer will also be a weigh station. What approach would you take given my circumstances?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not John but thought I would make a couple of comments on your questions.

Max towing capacity, dry weights are meaningless. Your payload and weight limits will usually limit you before you get to your max tow rating and dry weights (trailer or tongue) never happened except the day that measurement was taken....never to be repeated - it will always be higher.

Use the gvw of the trailer as a guideline. With kids you will get close to it if you spend any time out and actually use it. Take the gvw of the trailer and figure 12-15% of that as tongue weight. I usually use 12 but I have run around 13 at times; ie: 7600 x .13=988lbs. That's a starting point and without scaled weights, which is hard to do with a rig you don't yet own, the best you can do.

So take that 988 and add the hitch weight, say 125 (I will talk about that). Add the family weight and figure in weight gain as folks age. Add that bbq pit you're going to put in the bed, the 3 bicycles, 50lbs. of tools, ice chests, extra drinks, maybe a screened in enclosure?, shovel, bottle jacks, boards for support and leveling etc. Maybe 600 for family? 300 in bed? Now you have those things which would come to 2013 lbs. (hypothetically). For us we're lighter for family (just 2) but carry more in the bed. If you add a 10-15% cushion for safety say we're at 2275 (13%).

2275 really eliminates virtually all 1/2 tons. You mentioned the new Silverado 2500s....looks like a good choice. I have found, and continue to find, it hard to find comprehensive spec charts on weights/towing for GM trucks so can't post a chart or exact figures. Don't know if you are looking at diesel or gas but both should be sufficient and I have no doubt about the gas - spec or engine wise. Diesels will have lower payloads due to the increased weight of the engine. When you find the truck you want, or any you look at, look inside the driver door at the yellow and white sticker and read the payload; that is a great place to start determining what it is you are looking at and it's load capabilities. Towing and weights can seem confusing but it's really not. It's just knowing what numbers to look at and for and making sure the truck and trailer "work" together in a comfortable and safe manner for you and your family.

Weight distribution hitch; for a trailer that size it comes with 2 parts; weight distribution and then sway control - they are not the same. The weight distribution will help equalize the weight of the trailer tongue onto the truck. The sway control will help control the inherent "sway" that a large box behind a truck will encounter due to cross winds, passing trucks and cars etc. It can literally wreck your truck and trailer left unchecked. Some units come with a weight distribution hitch and what I call "add on" little sway bars that attach on the sides and then tighten down to provide the "sway control". In my experience they have proven barely more than using nothing. I use, and have used for years, an Equalizer 4 point wdh/sway control and like it a lot. Short of a mega buck Hensley or ProPride it's about the best out there - JMO and others have their favorites. With a 3/4 ton truck and that trailer you won't need a Hensley or ProPride.

Just some thoughts as you prepare to embark on what I consider a great and wonderful adventure. The fewer hiccups and wrong turns you can make in the process the happier you will be and the entire reason for my comments. Good luck and happy hunting.

Note: I forgot to mention that in looking at specs on the 2020 Silverado 2500 it appears to have grown about 10" in length from 2019 so keep that in mind if you are wanting to put it in a garage.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #14
SeanJK

Sourdough, thank you for being so generous with your time and input. This is all so valuable to me as I try to anticipate the experience. You are not the first person to mention the Equalizer 4 point, so I will keep that in mind. Thank you sir for your input.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #15
Logan X

The Chevy 2500 sounds like a good choice, just keep an eye on the payload capacity. If you get a diesel truck with a lot of bells and whistles, that eats up a lot of payload. The payload number is found on the yellow and white sticker inside the drivers door. It says “all cargo and occupants shall not exceed xxxx pounds”. The payload includes the trailer tongue weight.

I have a diesel F250 with a moderate trim package. My payload capacity is 2300 pounds. I have a trailer about the same size as yours and four kids. I am probably very close to my payload limit. I sure wouldn’t want to have a smaller payload number.

I use the Equalizer WDH with four point sway control and I highly recommend it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #16
SeanJK

Logan X, thank you for your input. You and the other guys in the forum are definitely convincing me to go no lower than 2500/250. I am also going to be coming back to pick your brains about camping with kids. What trailer do you have?
Old 01-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

I for one am happy to see someone ask and research BEFORE purchase. I can tell you from personal experience, once the RV lifestyle bug has bitten you, your going to want more and bigger. Start with way more TV than you need as that can be the biggest expense.

I started with a 21’ fifth wheel and a 3/4 ton truck. I progressed to a 27’ and then a 36’. Current is a 30’ and a 1ton DRW.

I’m not suggesting a 1 Ton dually to start, but it can be the LAST one you buy.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
Logan X

Quote:
Logan X, thank you for your input. You and the other guys in the forum are definitely convincing me to go no lower than 2500/250. I am also going to be coming back to pick your brains about camping with kids. What trailer do you have?
I have a Hideout 24BHSWE. It’s a 27 foot long bunkhouse. The gross trailer weight is 7600 pounds.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Sean, something to think about;

I drove personal 1/2 ton trucks all my life and loved them. I drove and used HD trucks and much larger at work; still loved the 1/2 tons. They always did what I needed and, in reality, in the old days, payload, tow capacity, gvw etc. etc. were never much thought of. Things have changed greatly from those days and rightfully so considering the explosion of folks buying an RV, strapping thousands of pounds behind who knows what then jumping on a freeway a 70mph with not a whit of what they are doing - crazy.

I've had RVs and had 1/2 ton trucks. I bought this trailer owning a 1/2 ton knowing I was at or over my payload. Didn't like the driving experience even with the Equalizer 4 point. I just refused to get a 3/4 ton; I had driven lots of them, had a bad back and they pulverized it plus they were just so uncomfortable. Instead I bought ANOTHER (next year model from what I had) 1/2 ton to make it "acceptable" (went from a 3.55 ratio to 3.92). Result? Same thing - no fun and....DW and puppy sat beside me towing thousands of miles. They trusted me to be doing every possible thing I could to make them safe...I wasn't. It ate on me like crazy. So went to a 3/4 ton and plenty of cushion. It was a great truck and I loved it...and up to the task for this trailer.

Just bought a new truck - 1 ton Ram. Way overkill for this trailer but might want to upgrade to a 5th wheel (that fits within my weight limits) at some time, or maybe not. My point would be this; as I priced and investigated 1 tons over the last several months vs the 3/4 trucks I found that the pricing is actually negligible. The size for Rams hasn't changed. The ride between the 3/4 and 1 ton is the same. So my thinking is that if you are going into an RV for the 1st time, have a growing family, buying a trailer that is better suited for a 3/4 ton and the size of the trailer will possibly (probably) grow; look at the 1 ton. Many on this forum have said just that and I have always dismissed it as sort of the "the only thing that works is a diesel DRW" statements. Depending on your situation and future plans I wouldn't stop at the 3/4 ton gap. That said, I will say this; when I bought the 3/4 (which I loved) I had no intention of ever having a larger trailer - we love this one and figured this was a situation that would end and we would devote our time to other assets. Times change and now we, like so many others, are thinking about a different trailer and the 1 ton fits our needs. Just a few things to mull over as you consider all this. Think forward.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:40 AM   #20
SeanJK

Sourdough, that’s definitely food for thought. I am thinking I’ll have a new truck for 10 or so years. After that I will think about a new trailer (I’ll let the desire for a new truck drive my trailer buying choices). I appreciate the input-I am hoping the newer 3/4 tons are designed to be a bit more comfortable than in the past.