Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
duh1

Traded my passport in have a grand design imagine 3000qb

I no longer have a Keystone do I have to leave the forum (a bit tongue in cheeak). Thorughly appreciated all the great info shared here. The grand design forum seems pretty modest by comparison. Our passpor was just showing it
s age and felt time to get a new one. Had planned on a bullet and we're set to go but steped into a :-) GD IMAGINE 3000QB AND FELL IN LOVE. passport had 9 years and about 80,000 miles and served us well. Cracked frame on way to buy the new one sealed the decision.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You are welcome to stick around. GD does make some nice stuff, I worked on them for 5 years.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

We looked hard at GD. They make nice stuff, but were a little to proud of what they offer for us. Congrats and enjoy!
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
We looked hard at GD. They make nice stuff, but were a little to proud of what they offer for us. Congrats and enjoy!
We were also going to go with Grand Design but thought we wouldn't have anything to complain about so stayed with Cougar.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Snoking

Imagine's on the road

In August of 2018 we bought our Laredo commuter 225MK and left for Arizona in late Sept. We started watching for other TT on the road. Saw one Laredo in 1700 miles. The overall winner in number of units we saw was imagine this GD Imagine's. Going home in the spring and back this fall show the same results, GD Imagine's clear winter on the number of units on the road.

In certain area's other had there numbers increase. Lance in Idaho! Airstream in some areas.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
bsmith0404

GD makes some beautiful RVs. They were actually started by 3 guys who were once with Keystone and production processes are very similar. I’ve been to both plants and the similarities are amazing. Imagine is probably the best selling travel trailer made right now so not surprising people are seeing many of them on the road right now. I believe Reflection surpassed Montana as the number one selling 5th wheel this year, but Montana still tops the luxury segment with Solitude and Alpine at #2 and #3. The dealership I work at sells GD and Keystone. It’s nice having both on the lot. Congrats on the 3000QB, it’s a beautiful RV
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
RET.LEO

I had seriously considered GD also but checking their claim of a R40 roof insulation made me laugh. It would take a foot of attic room to be deep enough for R40. I have always been if you exaggerate or lie about one thing what else are you stretching the truth or bold face lying about.
We haven't bought our new trailer yet but Keystone being realistic in R value claims helps to put it in the lead. GD is low on the list right now. Keystone is in the lead followed by Winnebago especially now that they have Azdel in their TT's, Jayco HT Eagle and then GD (kinda, sorta)
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
I had seriously considered GD also but checking their claim of a R40 roof insulation made me laugh. It would take a foot of attic room to be deep enough for R40. I have always been if you exaggerate or lie about one thing what else are you stretching the truth or bold face lying about.
We haven't bought our new trailer yet but Keystone being realistic in R value claims helps to put it in the lead. GD is low on the list right now. Keystone is in the lead followed by Winnebago especially now that they have Azdel in their TT's, Jayco HT Eagle and then GD (kinda, sorta)
All R values in RVs are a total of the value offered by accumulation of each layer of materials in a roof/wall/floor. What the true R value is on each RV is debatable. I will tell you we have GD and Keystone both on the lot. When it’s 100 degrees with full sun beating down on them turning each unit into a sweat box, you can tell the difference from brand to brand as you step into them. Go from a passport to an Outback to a Laredo and each one is a bit cooler as you step up in claimed R values. GD with their claimed R40 (accurate or not) are always cooler. You can believe R40 claim or not, but whatever the correct/actual value is, it does work. Not saying you should drop everything and run out to by a GD, but I definitely would not cross them off my list or lower them below other brands because you don’t believe in their calculation of the R values.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Just FYI, Grand Design is now owned by Winnebago.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:23 AM   #10
RET.LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just FYI, Grand Design is now owned by Winnebago.
Has been for some time now.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I didn't "read the GD brochure" as saying the trailers have R-40 insulation in the roof. That "*" behind the comment has a footnote that says, "Equivalent R value".

Essentially, the 3" of fiberglass coupled with the 3/8" OSB, the 1/4" foil backed bubble wrap and the remaining "dead air space" all work together to provide "an insulated space" that's the equivalent of R-40 insulation".

When you consider that the space shuttle walls were 7" thick and provided an "equivalent r value of R-100 (or more), it's not simply "fiberglass blown into the space" at work.... Technology, not spun fiberglass makes up the "boastful difference"...

Just as a 60 watt light "bare bulb" provides a specific amount of light on the table top, if you add a reflector above the bulb, you increase the illumination in the work space. That 60 watt bulb isn't "brighter" rather technology (the reflector) increased the "equivalent light" without a larger bulb.

If you read previous Keystone brochures, you'll find that they also included "boastful R-value computations" that relied on "equivalent R value" to achieve the high numbers.

Technology, ain't it great ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

So John, you mean those light houses that were built hundreds of years ago din't use a multi-million watt light bulb?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So John, you mean those light houses that were built hundreds of years ago din't use a multi-million watt light bulb?
Seems I remember a candle, later replaced by a whale oil lamp and a Fresnel lens (to give an equivalent bright light)….

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Seems I remember a candle, later replaced by a whale oil lamp and a Fresnel lens (to give an equivalent bright light)….
Personal experience??? Or book knowledge? Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Personal experience??? Or book knowledge? Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.
Both.... No, I wasn't around to "witness the originals" but after touring the Lake Superior lighthouses a couple years ago, I saw the "antiques at work"...

I will say, at my "tender young age" there are mornings that I feel like a Whale oil lamp at work, sometimes in an LED environment"..... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Both.... No, I wasn't around to "witness the originals" but after touring the Lake Superior lighthouses a couple years ago, I saw the "antiques at work"...

I will say, at my "tender young age" there are mornings that I feel like a Whale oil lamp at work, sometimes in an LED environment"..... <sigh>
LOL. Loved the Shipwreck Museum and the other lighthouses we went thru when up there .

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I would have to say at my "tender young age" there are mornings I feel like "something" but it's not a Whale oil lamp...….
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #18
RET.LEO

Quote:
I didn't "read the GD brochure" as saying the trailers have R-40 insulation in the roof. That "*" behind the comment has a footnote that says, "Equivalent R value".

Essentially, the 3" of fiberglass coupled with the 3/8" OSB, the 1/4" foil backed bubble wrap and the remaining "dead air space" all work together to provide "an insulated space" that's the equivalent of R-40 insulation".

When you consider that the space shuttle walls were 7" thick and provided an "equivalent r value of R-100 (or more), it's not simply "fiberglass blown into the space" at work.... Technology, not spun fiberglass makes up the "boastful difference"...

Just as a 60 watt light "bare bulb" provides a specific amount of light on the table top, if you add a reflector above the bulb, you increase the illumination in the work space. That 60 watt bulb isn't "brighter" rather technology (the reflector) increased the "equivalent light" without a larger bulb.

If you read previous Keystone brochures, you'll find that they also included "boastful R-value computations" that relied on "equivalent R value" to achieve the high numbers.

Technology, ain't it great ?????
Watch this vid for Grand Design roof and construction
Old 01-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't watched the entire video, but may, if I find time. But, my opinion, for what it's worth:

The trailer in that video is a GD Transcend. It's an entry level, wood frame, aluminum sided "minimally priced" trailer. Trying to compare it to an aluminum framed, fiberglass "vacuum formed wall" structure is like comparing a fabric skinned biplane to a modern aluminum private airplane. About the only similarity is that they both have propellers.... About the only similarity between the Transcend and, for example, a Montana High Country is that they both have 4 wheels on two axles. Otherwise, they're different trailers with different components and different construction....

Apples to oranges, definitely not a "side by side comparison of competitive models...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #20
bsmith0404

Transcend uses a new roof material which has a 15 year warranty bs the 12 year on TPO. This may be some growing pains they’re going through, but Transcend is the only GD line that uses it. We’ve sold many Transcends and have not seen any problems with the roof on them yet, so I would guess this isn’t a normal wide spread problem. Also, having been through both factories and the fact that the guys who started GD came from Keystone, the two are built very similar. I personally wouldn’t hesitate to buy either. I’ve also seen first hand what their customer service is like, they’re top notch. They have actually pushed Keystone to be better. They both have pushed each other to be better.

Tags
passport