Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #41
efrulla

Yeah except that my V6 with a Turbo outperforms my other F-150 with a V8 any day of the week. I have other trailers I tow besides my 5th wheel and I have learned thru EXPERIENCE that the V6 with the turbo is the go to vehicle.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

The Ford 3.5 EcoBoost conversation, and the claims made for it, always amuse me. From those that are the "true believers" you would think it is the strongest engine in the world and bulletproof. Strangely, Ford offers no 3.5 EcoBoost pkg. in any HD truck in any form that I find....hmmm, so I'm not thinking they're worried about the engine itself taking away HD customers; maybe the "package" just doesn't measure up to an HD??

If you notice any truck meant for heavy towing, for long miles, has a "stout" engine; not an overly aspirated, small, V6 cylinder. Granted there are diesel 6 cylinders but they are nothing like the gas ecoboost. So, I'm thinking that those that love them can love them....until they need an actual HD truck, OR, that turbo(s) shell out and you have to pull 8k out of our pocket because you were trying to use it for something it wasn't meant for.... JMO/YMMV
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #43
Pete54401

Enter your VIN and I'll let you know what the tow rating is. Is this a conventional or 5th wheel? GVWR on the trailer? How often will you tow the trailer? How far?
Pete54401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #44
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete54401 View Post
Enter your VIN and I'll let you know what the tow rating is. Is this a conventional or 5th wheel? GVWR on the trailer? How often will you tow the trailer? How far?
I would use caution using the tow capacities Ford would tell you using the VIN. It may be more accurate than the sales brochure but it won’t account for what is loaded in the tow vehicle and how that will affect available payload (including the trailer tongue weight). Whatever Ford told you would be assuming a completely empty, right off the assembly line, weight for the truck. In reality, when you are towing, especially with an F150, your truck will weigh probably close to or over the gross vehicle weight rating.

Just my humble opinion.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Anyone can get one, my first came off a lot. It was not bare by any means, had nav, 110 volt inverter, tow mirrors, etc. Second one I ordered, and got as loaded as you can get one, which means also getting the geazzer step. Crew cab, 4x4, 2500 lb payload, 17,200 gcwr, 4800 rear axle. weighs just under 5200 lbs with 36 gallons of gas onboard.
So, not a unicorn, but you will likely have to wait 8 to 12 weeks for them to build it. Ford does not let dealers order them for the lot because the payload exceeds a 250 diesel, and thus may cut into potential sales.
Some people find 4 leaf clovers to. I think, and again this is my opinion just as you expressed your opinion in your last sentence that the reason the Ford dealers don't stock them is not because they want to sell F250's. I think it's because it doesn't make sense. A customer looking at the upcharge for a F150 that's been built "like" a F250 or F350 for nearly as much, if not more money will say "why should I buy an imposter when I can have the real thing". I'll bet the dealer will let you pry the badging off a F250 or 350 and replace it with a F150 badge if you ask them.
JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #46
Otty

I’ve had several RVs. In my experience, 1/2 ton pickups are not suited for anything more than about 19’. Sure, many are rated to tow larger units. But at what cost? Terrible power, very low mpg, sagging rear end, stopping issues, problems with hills, etc.
I strongly suggest a 3/4 ton. You will not regret it.
Otty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #47
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Anyone can get one, my first came off a lot. It was not bare by any means, had nav, 110 volt inverter, tow mirrors, etc. Second one I ordered, and got as loaded as you can get one, which means also getting the geazzer step. Crew cab, 4x4, 2500 lb payload, 17,200 gcwr, 4800 rear axle. weighs just under 5200 lbs with 36 gallons of gas onboard.
So,not a unicorn, but you will likely have to wait 8 to 12 weeks for them to build it. Ford does not let dealers order them for the lot because the payload exceeds a 250 diesel, and thus may cut into potential sales.
Just think of the payload you COULD have if you did not get your truck with all those goodies. Heck, one post on this thread shows a towing combination (TV an F150 and 5er fully loaded) maybe 600 pounds less than my trailer. No thanks, I will take my package any day. I guess the OP should consider towing a 42 ft. Toyhauler using your numbers and logic. It is more of a misinformed new world than a brave one.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #48
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Some people find 4 leaf clovers to. I think, and again this is my opinion just as you expressed your opinion in your last sentence that the reason the Ford dealers don't stock them is not because they want to sell F250's. I think it's because it doesn't make sense. A customer looking at the upcharge for a F150 that's been built "like" a F250 or F350 for nearly as much, if not more money will say "why should I buy an imposter when I can have the real thing". I'll bet the dealer will let you pry the badging off a F250 or 350 and replace it with a F150 badge if you ask them.
JMHO
The reason for me is quite simple. I commute with the truck 98% of the time, and tow 2%. It gives me the best of both worlds, 22mpg on the commute, and drives nicer. Yet when I want to tow a small fiver or 9000 lb trailer, it is rated and capable of doing that too.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #49
LFord

Is this too much trailer for us? Truck Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Folks the OP posted and left and hasn't come back. Save your breath. Once again, a first time poster posted and fled the scene. Was that person really looking for advice? This seems to have become more common as of late. Some folks call this a troll.

If the original poster was legit, but left the discussion "early," he may have been like some folks and just came here to get his pre-conceived notions confirmed. Once he started hearing advice he didn't want to hear, he was outta here! Seems like there's a lot of that going around nowadays; just keep searching the Internet until you find what agrees with you!
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFord View Post
If the original poster was legit, but left the discussion "early," he may have been like some folks and just came here to get his pre-conceived notions confirmed. Once he started hearing advice he didn't want to hear, he was outta here! Seems like there's a lot of that going around nowadays; just keep searching the Internet until you find what agrees with you!
None of us can say with certainty why the OP hasn't returned.

I do believe that there's a lot of people that "take their ball and go home" if they don't get a "trophy for participating".

JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #51
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Many don't pay any attention to the gear ratios available when buying a truck. Many owners wouldn't even be able to tell you the ratio they have.
The gear ratio means everything for your particular use of the vehicle. You need to decide whether you want a cruiser or a tow truck.

When we recently bought our 1500 Silverado, the axle ratio options were 3.08, 3.23, 3.42, and 3,73.
We saw a number of trucks with the "trailer Package" and 3.08 or 3.23 gears. WHAT A JOKE!

Now you might think that some of the new eight speed trannys will make the difference, but NO. You'll pull the guts out of it with a trailer.

Also, just moving to a 3/4 ton truck won't fix this. Some are being marketed with higher gear ratios for those who won't be towing.

Another thing to consider is your tire diameter. Whenever you put on tires with a larger diameter, you are reducing the tow capacity just as if you had a higher gear ratio.

You need to do the research.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, mods