Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
Viet_Vet

2015 hideout 299rlds sofa bed help

Good afternoon all. I have an issue that I'm a bit confused with.

My 5er has a Flair Maplecrest decor with a small (60 inch?) sleeper sofa in the living area. I believe it is a trifold, with a single large drawer underneath for storage.

I opened it up by removing the back cushion that is held in place with velcro, then pulled on the strap which moved the bottom seating surface to the foot of the sofa bed. This left a small (2" thick) cushion in the middle, with another similar cushion at the top, or head, of the "bed".

The seat back is fixed, as in not movable or foldable (unless it was assembled incorrectly of I don't know what I'm doing).

There is a gap between both of these cushions as well as between the bottom seating area and the next cushion. It looks incomplete, and there is no way anyone can sleep on it, as the bar is right there and you cannot get comfortable.

I asked the previous owner about a mattress, and they told me that this is the way they got it when new. I can't say that they were being truthful or not, but that is what they said.

I called Keystone, and they told me it came with an inflatable mattress. I'm not sure how that would fit when the sofa is closed, and I saw no way of connecting it, as there is no electric outlet near or behind the sofa to inflate the mattress.

I called Lippert, who bought out Flair, and they told me they can't help me as that info was deleted from their system because it is 4 years old!?!?!?!

I'm at a loss. I have my son and his family flying in from Japan to go camping with us, and need to resolve this in the next few weeks before they arrive.

I have googled and researched, but can't even find a photo of what my sofa looks like. It is the original sofa that came with the 5er, and it matches the 2 chairs. Can anyone give me guidance on where to best look?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

PS - I'll try to take a photo and upload it here to help clear up my poor explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_194931 3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	24166   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20191024_195009 3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	24167   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20191024_195147 3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	24168  
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A lot of Keystone's lines had inflatable mattresses during the 2010-2015 years. The "intended result" was to achieve a comfortable bed without having the bulk of a mattress to deal with when the bed was used as a sofa. The "experiment" failed miserably... I'd say it's more like the vinyl tops that were so popular on cars in the 70's than with anything "practical"....

First, as you've learned, without the air matterss, the bed is more a "torture rack" than a place to sleep.
Second, with the mattress, if there's a leak (a common problem with cheap air mattresses) return to "first"....
Third, again as you've learned, if there's no place to plug it in or if you're dry camping, return to "first"....
Fourth, with the special (read that as ODD) sizes of RV furniture, it's nearly impossible to find a replacement air mattress, so return to "first"...

If it seems that it all keeps coming back to "the bed is more a "torture rack" than a place to sleep, you'll come to understand why they are no longer offered.....

All that said, take measurements of the sleeping surface and see if you can find a "relatively inexpensive" air mattress that's close to the same size. I'd guess maybe a double bed (54x75) size may work. Then locate a "nearly 120 outlet and run an extension cord to the mattress pump. You may find that will get you through this camping trip and your son's visit.

Thankfully, most of us don't usually travel with guests, so using the "torture rack" isn't an "every trip event".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, hideout