Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #21
larryflew

Even with auto level I don't put anything but the landing gear down in storage. No need to let the arms and seals get messed up by weather.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #22
skmct

Even with the stabilizes down and the wheels chocked Irma moved our 12000 pound 5th wheel several inches. When you live in hurricane country stabilizes are down. If the lot owner would allow it I would tie it down with cables and stakes.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

A "practical consideration" that just occurred to me is mobility during storage. If you're in a commercial storage yard, they may have specific rules concerning storage with landing gear or stabilizers down. Check with the storage site management for any rules.

If you're storing on your own property and plan to remove your batteries, remember that you'll have to reintall the batteries to move the trailer (even in the event of an emergency), so if you're taking the batteries out, essentially you're "immobilizing your RV" if you store it with the stabilizers down or with a leveling system in use. It may not matter, then again, "what if's" happen all the time. For instance, what if there's a fire in the garage and your RV is parked next to it. What if there's a reason to move it to access something else, like a fallen tree or a branch on the shed behind it. There's lots more, so "permanently immobilizing" an RV by putting down stabilizers or leveling system jacks and removing the batteries may not be the best storage condition.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #24
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
Even with the stabilizes down and the wheels chocked Irma moved our 12000 pound 5th wheel several inches. When you live in hurricane country stabilizes are down. If the lot owner would allow it I would tie it down with cables and stakes.
I know hurricanes are a big concern but I had to chuckle when reading your post.

I pictured an RV with cables and stakes and after the storm the only thing left is the frame, axles, and suspension securely strapped down.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:51 PM   #25
sitterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalwapiti View Post
I can see that, living in the windy plains it is very real the wind could move the RV. I am in my first year of ownership and I do not plan to put my jacks down but was thinking maybe they are trying to take the weight off the tires. I know motorheads who store collector cars on jackstands in order to minimize flat spots on the tires.
I had my stabilizer jack down for storage up until now. Jacks were down on concrete blocks. I thought it would make camper more stable during wind. Had 60+ gusts last night and camper rotated about 6 inches. So - because of that and realizing, after reading this thread, that if the tires loose air I’m opting to leave the jacks up during storage. Just need to make sure I do a good job chocking the tires. Hopefully, I’m being smart by doing this as I don’t want four busted electronic jacks.
sitterly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, storage