Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
buddy1

terrible location for water pump on 2014 keystone retreat

We recently purchased a 2014 keystone retreat 39fk park model, and i finally found where the water pump is located,would you believe behind the fireplace!! i am prepping to winterize the rig and thought instead of removing the faux stone and fireplace to access the pump, can i just pour 5 gallons of antifreeze in the empty fresh water tank and pump it through the system with the hot water tank bypass selected? i have never heard of such a silly location for a water pump right behind a 120 v electric heater
buddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
Northofu1

I did that last year with no ill effects. Flush with copious amount of water in spring.
Sanitize fresh water tank and flush a couple of times and you should be good.
But!!!! you're probably going to need to get in there eventually, better at home than on the road.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
buddy1

being that we are permanently situated on a seasonal site with water/sewer hookups i have no plans to use the fresh water holding tank but will sanitize it in the spring
buddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Is there access from the rear behind washer??? If you have a washer be sure to run some antifreeze through it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on the fresh water tank location and whether there might be some "residual water" that won't drain, you might find that any antifreeze you put into the tank is diluted to a "non protective solution". What I mean is that most FW tanks are "long, wide, short" tanks. If the trailer is slightly off level and the drain end is "at the high point" you could have 3 or 4 gallons of water that won't drain out of the tank. If your antifreeze (on the label) says it protects to -50F (at full strength) and only to +20 at 50/50 dilution, and you pour in 5 gallons of antifreeze, run it through the plumbing, you may only have a solution that will protect against freeze damage to 15 or 20 degrees....

So, check to make sure that there's no left over water in the FW tank before you start "adding and mixing" antifreeze to the tank. You may not have the protective value of the antifreeze that you think you have.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, water, water pump