Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #41
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yeap, same thing. HF sells a "multipurpose tool" and far too many don't/didn't realize it'll measure temperature on gas bottles as well as on tires and hubs. It'll also measure heat output temp of the furnace and cold output of the air conditioner too.

Just start at the top and scan down, when the temperature changes, that's your liquid level. (or start at the bottom and scan up, when the temp changes, that's your liquid level)..... Or heck, do it both ways (for a second opinion)....
I have the Mopeka Bluetooth gauges but should they fail I now have a backup, thanks for the tip.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #42
Benji00

I have used the Dometic tool for several years. Bought a second one for my son and his 5er. I keep mine handy to use in my 5er and with our BBQ grill at home too. We have an automatic changeover on the 5er, but I like to keep the second tank turned off so I am not surprised to find both tanks empty. If it is going to get cold at night, I turn on the second tank before retiring. just in case. Easy to check the next day and turn it back off if it was not needed. Best of both worlds.
Benji00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #43
Nucdude

Propane Gauge

Do a search for MOPEKA products
Nucdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #44
Furb

I use a tank system but mopeka. It’s blutooth. Sending unit is magnetic and sticks to bottom of your tanks. A gauge goes on your wall or you can use the app on your phone to read them. Waited a long time before I shelled out the money, but well worth it.
2014 NL 10-2cdse
1999 lund
Maggie the Jack Russell
Furb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #45
Submariner

Propane Level?

After having worked in the LPG industry for many years, here is the low down on propane tank level gauges. 20# and 30# vertical cylinders used on todays RV's are filled based on weight. There are no level gauges built into and nor can they be added onto these cylinders. Newer BBQ grills have a mounting device that is supported by a spring that will allow reading the weight, but not on RV's. The only trick I know of is if your using propane out of a cylinder you can look for the moisture or frost line on the outside of the cylinder. This is the interface between liquid and vapor and is usually cooler.
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #46
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furb View Post
I use a tank system but mopeka. It’s blutooth. Sending unit is magnetic and sticks to bottom of your tanks. A gauge goes on your wall or you can use the app on your phone to read them. Waited a long time before I shelled out the money, but well worth it.
I've been looking at these, and I see a lot of people on this thread saying they have them. I was a bit put off by a poster who said he bought a pair only to have them go belly up in short order. I'd be interested to hear from the people who own these how long theirs have been working.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #47
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I've been looking at these, and I see a lot of people on this thread saying they have them. I was a bit put off by a poster who said he bought a pair only to have them go belly up in short order. I'd be interested to hear from the people who own these how long theirs have been working.

For me one sensor lasted a year. The second lasted a year and half. To pricy for them working for that short of time. Plus the sensors burned through batteries every couple of months. When working they are great but now not working. Just expensive plastic junk.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #48
travelin texans

Why have the auto changeover regulator & close one bottle, that negates the "auto" part of it.
It never failed that the bottle went empty in the middle of the night while running the furnace, the biggest LP hog on any RV, so I open both & made it a habit of checking that it had not switched every time I dumped the holding tanks. In the past several years have never had both bottles go empty & also have not had to go out to switch in the middle of the night.
If not running the furnace all the other LP appliances don't use much gas, 1-20 lb should last a very long time.l
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #49
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Why have the auto changeover regulator & close one bottle, that negates the "auto" part of it.

It never failed that the bottle went empty in the middle of the night while running the furnace, the biggest LP hog on any RV, so I open both & made it a habit of checking that it had not switched every time I dumped the holding tanks. In the past several years have never had both bottles go empty & also have not had to go out to switch in the middle of the night.

If not running the furnace all the other LP appliances don't use much gas, 1-20 lb should last a very long time.l

Yup!! I used to be part of the “leave one closed” until that one night/early morning when it was snowing and my interior temp was in the 40’s. Had to get dressed and trudge through that freezing stuff. NEVER again. I make it a habit to carry a spare cylinder and check my regulator every 3 days. The spare can go on at anytime and I’m not rushed to refill at the campground price.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #50
KeithInUpstateNY

I'm with blubuckaroo. My trailer(s) came with an auto changeover regulator, but I don't use the function. I monitor the tank level, switch it manually when the tank I'm using is getting low, and bring the almost empty tank to Tractor Supply where you pay by the gallon to have it filled. Knowing exactly when I switched tanks gives me a much better idea of the window I have to make the 40 mile round trip to get the tank filled and allows me to combine it with other supply needs like food and gas for the generator.

Footnote: I also carry a spare tank.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #51
Vagabond Betty

I’ve owned them all - my observations

Tried the screw on the tank type - reading very dependent on ambient temp, so half full when it’s hot out is way different than when it’s cold out. Opinion - NO!

You can buy tanks with real float lever mechanisms. They work great, but are more expensive than tanks without. Drawback is you have to LOOK at them to tell the level. No option to retrofit the existing tanks per the local gas company. Opinion - if you have some extra bucks and the time to look.

So I tried the MOPEKA sensor. Mounts on the bottom magnetically and shoots up through the tank. You need to tell the system the tank size and it’s pretty accurate. You can buy a system with dedicated level sensor for less than $90, or use your smart phone Bluetooth option and that’s around $65 for 2 sensors. Only downside to date is the battery usage. I’m still undecided on the battery issue. Opinion - accurate but undecided.

My unit came with an auto changeover regulator so I use the sensor to tell me when it’s time to open the second tank for auto changeover when it wants. Still have to look at the tank condition, but lots more convenient to look inside rather than outside opening the door (I always forgot to look when I was outside).
Vagabond Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:50 AM   #52
Rinsrig

A quick way to see how much propane is in your tank, pour warm water on the side of the tank, it will show you the line of where your propane level is in your tank. Most of your gauges are very inaccurate.
Rinsrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane