Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #21
Tireman9

From an actual tire engineer. Inflate to the stated pressure "cold" i.e. not warmed by being in sun or driven on in prior 2 hours.

Re Nitrogen, It workds like MAGIC Not
Old 07-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #22
larryflew

Did the nitrogen thing on our truck tires about 5 years ago. Pressure still did the heat dance the same as it had with just air but cheaper without paying for the nitrogen fill. Due for new tires this year and will be air only although after 5 years of adding air there isn't any extra nitrogen in the current tires anyway.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #23
Lariatbob

Autolevel is fantastic.

Push a button and unload the truck. Done.
Think about it. No matter if on suspension or leveling jacks the full weight is always supported by the frame.
Either the frame is held off the ground by the suspension (springs, axles, tires) or the jacks.
The jacks are designed to support the load. More stable and stronger than the suspension components.
I see so many using jacks and blocks to raise the tires off the ground when in storage. What's the difference?
If your auto level ends up raising one or more tire off the ground it is actually helping by removing some load from the suspension. I am sure you have seen older trailers where the springs have relaxed and it sets crooked. I have never seen a frame distort except if it is completely rusted out and trash anyway.
I don't lose any sleep over it.
Lariatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:24 AM   #24
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Autolevel is the bomb once you know the limitations. I don’t have it but I work with it every day.

Which system do you have? Hydraulic or electric?

Electric seems to have a little less “reach” ( travel) than the hydraulic. If you know one side or the other or the front or back is too low, just put blocks under the jacks. If it lifts the tires off the ground, your still ok.

Is your unit a fifth wheel or TT and which system do you have?
Ok, clear something up for me. Have a 2017 XLite 21RBS. Does not have auto level, don’t think it was available on that model. I was always under the impression that leveling the trailer was NEVER to be done with the outrigger jacks. It would bend the frame. Leveling was to be done with the wheels and the tongue jack, then jacks deployed with just small amount of pressure for stability. So do the trailers with autolevel have a much sturdier frame designed for the task? And my frame is not capable of that?

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

In your case yes you want to level using pads under the tires for side to side and tongue jack for front to back. We are not a keystone dealer so I can’t say I’ve inspected a TT that doesn’t have auto level with the same model that does.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #26
CampNBrew2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
So do the trailers with autolevel have a much sturdier frame designed for the task? And my frame is not capable of that?
Bama,
This is what I'm thinking as well, but would like to hear an answer from a trusted source. The rigs with these level systems must be designed for that much load on the frames. I think our lightweights would just twist and bow. When setting up (before setting the jacks), I can see the tongue and frame flex a bit when someone enters the trailer and walks around.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
Bama,
This is what I'm thinking as well, but would like to hear an answer from a trusted source. The rigs with these level systems must be designed for that much load on the frames. I think our lightweights would just twist and bow. When setting up (before setting the jacks), I can see the tongue and frame flex a bit when someone enters the trailer and walks around.
It's not the frames are any different, but rather the hydraulic/electric leveling jacks are much sturdier/stronger than the stabilizers, or outriggers as you called them. The leveling systems jacks were designed to lift the rvs where stabilizers are, as the name implies, are to only stabilize once level.
If the frames were designed specifically for level up systems then they wouldn't be able to sell/install those systems aftermarket, they'd have be a special order from the factory, which they aren't & they do install aftermarket.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, tires