Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Rber1234

Flojet water pump help

Pump will pressurize system and shut off then in about ten secs will kick back on and run to pressurize lines again. Checked all lines I can see and underneath TT and can’t find any leaks. I do hear at pump like it has an air leak and losing pressure. Is it time for replacement or can these be repaired. Pump only yr old.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like there may be some trash in the diaphragm. so the first question would be: Do you have a strainer/filter on the inlet side of the pump? Most Keystone trailers do not have a strainer, so anything in the fresh water tank can be drawn into the pump, causing the type of problems you're having.

You can disassemble the head to clean the diaphragm and rollers. Just be very cautious about how you take it apart so you remember how to reassemble it. Having left over parts is not a good thing.

FloJet water pumps have a 2 year warranty. You'll need to send the pump back for repair/replacement. That usually takes at least 2 weeks. My suggestion would be to clean the diaphragm, if that doesn't work, order a replacement pump from your choice of dealers. Amazon Prime has good prices and you'll have the new pump in hand with 2 day shipping.

Once you have the defective pump out, send it back to FloJet so you'll have a replacement if this ever happens again.

New pumps run between $50-75 for the same model. There's no "pressing need" to upgrade, however if you wish, you can buy pumps costing upwards of $200. Remember, if you change brands you'll also need to buy terminal plumbing fittings to replace the FloJet fittings. If it were me, I'd buy the same brand/model just to eliminate the hassle of changing out the fittings.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
busterbrown

Personally, I would replace that Flojet pump with a Shurflo if the OEM has failed. I electively replaced my Flojet as it was noisy. The Shurflo I have now is much quieter and is in its 3rd season of use. If you do go this route, you'll have to buy Shurflo elbow adapters as the Flojet adapters are proprietary.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Personally, I would replace that Flojet pump with a Shurflo if the OEM has failed. I electively replaced my Flojet as it was noisy. The Shurflo I have now is much quieter and is in its 3rd season of use. If you do go this route, you'll have to buy Shurflo elbow adapters as the Flojet adapters are proprietary.
I did the same about 5 years ago and haven't had to touch the pump since (aside from winterizing).

I also added a expansion tank. The pump cycles less, but longer. But I can get 2-3 toilet flushes at night with the pump turned off.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Rber1234

Replaced the pump and all is fine now. Thanks to all that replied with your help.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
JohnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I agree, the flo jet pumps are soooooo noisey (spelling ???) I replaced mine too and shurflo is much quieter. My pump went because it was left on when the water tank was empty.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Tgriff

Water pump help

I have a passport 2770rb. Tried to install a new flojet water pump, when turned on it pushes the water from the tank out the city water line to outside. Not sure we’re I went wrong. Please help
Tgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgriff View Post
I have a passport 2770rb. Tried to install a new flojet water pump, when turned on it pushes the water from the tank out the city water line to outside. Not sure we’re I went wrong. Please help
Guessing you put the backfill valve on backwards. Should stop water from the city connection from filling the water tank.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Tgriff

Where would that be located
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
Tgriff

I’m trying to run off the tank, city line not hooked up.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

The actual city water connector has a "one way valve" built into the connector. What you see on the outside is a garden hose connection. Inside that is a washer and screen. Remove the washer/screen and you'll see a plastic plunger. That is the one way valve core. SOMETIMES (if you're really lucky) you can use needle nose pliers or a screwdriver and reseat that plunger. Often, that won't work so you may need to buy a new city water inlet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
JohnP

I think you connected the pump backwards. Switch the inlet and outlet lines and that should fix the issue.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #13
wmcclay

There is a check valve at the city water inlet. Check this first, it's part of the inlet
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #14
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I did the same about 5 years ago and haven't had to touch the pump since (aside from winterizing).

I also added a expansion tank. The pump cycles less, but longer. But I can get 2-3 toilet flushes at night with the pump turned off.

What size tank did you use? 2 gal?
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgriff View Post
Where would that be located
The city water pipe should run through a backflow preventer valve before tying into the RV plumbing on the pressure side of the water pump. Sounds like that valve is missing or reversed. If reversed, the city water shouldn't work at all.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
What size tank did you use? 2 gal?
Sounds about right. Grabbed it from Home Depot and I see the small one on their website (Cdn) is 2.1. I mounted it under the sink.

It's a really cheap upgrade that is easily worth the money.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
mpellet723

Once you fill your water tank make sure the valve is all the way in the horizontal position otherwise it will cycle the pump.
mpellet723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump