Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
Auggie Waterman

Black tank flush leaked on first use

OK, so our Hideout 308BHDS has two bathrooms and I used the black tank flush connections for the first time. The rear bath was fine, the front 1/2 bath, as soon as I turned it on, water started dripping pretty good in several places from underneath.

The bottom of the trailer is all sealed up so I can't see the black tank or the water supply or black flush connections, my question is how to open the bottom sealed sub-floor, anyone done it? We're 70 miles away from Camping World who we bought it from and all settled for the summer so I'm thinking to either not use that black flush and take it in October or fix myself since I've fixed everything from A/C to washers, dryers etc.

Thanks!
Chris.
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Waterman View Post
OK, so our Hideout 308BHDS has two bathrooms and I used the black tank flush connections for the first time. The rear bath was fine, the front 1/2 bath, as soon as I turned it on, water started dripping pretty good in several places from underneath.

The bottom of the trailer is all sealed up so I can't see the black tank or the water supply or black flush connections, my question is how to open the bottom sealed sub-floor, anyone done it? We're 70 miles away from Camping World who we bought it from and all settled for the summer so I'm thinking to either not use that black flush and take it in October or fix myself since I've fixed everything from A/C to washers, dryers etc.

Thanks!

Chris.

Most likely the anti siphon valve located up under sink cabinet perhaps in that bathroom is broken. If so the minute you turn on water when using flush out you will have clean water... not black leaking out of there at a high rate of quick

I don’t use my black tank flush at all. I use a Valtera clear elbow flush with its own gate valve

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
Auggie Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Most likely the anti siphon valve located up under sink cabinet perhaps in that bathroom is broken. If so the minute you turn on water when using flush out you will have clean water... not black leaking out of there at a high rate of quick

I don’t use my black tank flush at all. I use a Valtera clear elbow flush with its own gate valve
Well Chuck, we checked in the trailer and there was not leaked water anywhere, seems isolated to below the floor thank Goodness.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
ChuckS

You will be looking for this valve

http://www.trekwood.com/products/117...-1-2-Backwater

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
Auggie Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Thanks Chuck, I will take a peek for it!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
Canonman

Have you looked at removing the underbelly material from the bottom of the trailer?
Ours has screws attaching it to the frame and I found it fairly simple to unscrew a section, pull the material down a bit to inspect a leak we had in the kitchen. Could be an option.
I use the black flush every time we dump. Best way to keep the tanks clean IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0773.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	16360  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Auggie Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Have you looked at removing the underbelly material from the bottom of the trailer?
Ours has screws attaching it to the frame and I found it fairly simple to unscrew a section, pull the material down a bit to inspect a leak we had in the kitchen. Could be an option.
I use the black flush every time we dump. Best way to keep the tanks clean IMHO
Thanks Canonman, that is what I'll be doing this weekend! Yes, we always used out black flush on our old trailer, I agree, best way to keep gas from being created after emptying...
Old 05-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
cpaulsen

It is your anti-siphon valve under the sink I would make a good guess is the cause. Turn on the black tank flush and have someone look under the sink.........this is from prior experience.!!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Auggie Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
It is your anti-siphon valve under the sink I would make a good guess is the cause. Turn on the black tank flush and have someone look under the sink.........this is from prior experience.!!!
OK, I will try that also, this Saturday I will be going to the trailer to check under the sink and pull the underbelly... Thanks!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
Auggie Waterman

Ok, you guys were correct, there is a backflow-preventer behind a panel in the bathroom under the sink, but I'm happy to report that did not leak or fail. My buddy, as I was about to start unscrewing the underbelly cover's 100 screws, says "hey, can we get to the blackflush if we unscrew this wall in the front storage?' And we did- And thank God it was just a very loose hose connector right where the blackflush goes through the outside wall. Tightened that up, turned on the hose and no leaks at all. Here are a couple pics.
This is looking into the storage area from the front towards the back, you can see the wall that we unscrewed and flexed forward a bit:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WrbHYV6wkWYGX9r96

Here is looking at the outside wall from inside the storage area. The top hose that has a large hole where it comes in is the freshwater intake, the two below it are the two blackflush inlets. (one for each black tank, trailer has 2 toilets)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPHHOCWr4orEciq23
The one with the blue "J&S" sticker was just barely screwed on. After tightening it, zero leaks.

Tags
leak, tank