Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
dirt33

Fresh water tank drain line - fitting removal

On the drain line from the fresh water tank, I replaced the drain cap with a ball valve. The only issue is that the line itself extends down below the coroplast 6-8 inches, and with the ball valve being 1-2 inches longer than the old drain cap, the ball valve is closer to the ground than I want it.

So, I want to cut about 2-3 inches or so off of the drain line itself. Seems simple enough to remove the fitting, shorten the line, and put the fitting back in. However, I have started on it, and can tell that getting that fitting out (and back in) of the line is going to be a bear. Before I go clamping/twisting/etc on the fitting, is there any trick to getting these things in/out of the line itself? The last thing I want to do is cut off a couple inches from the line, and then find that I can't get the fitting (or a new fitting) installed. I guess my main question is, does threading the "top cap" onto the fitting "pull it up into the line", or do you have to get the fitting slid all the way up in there and THEN thread on the top cap? Given that the existing "top cap" is cracked from likely being threaded on too hard, I imagine I can pretty much already answer my own question that, no, you can't use the cap to pull the fitting up into the line.... Sorry if confusing, but hopefully this question makes sense....? I mainly am leary about putting to much stress/twist on the water line itself, as breaking it off up above the coroplast from the tank itself would be a bad deal.

Photo below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	12023  
dirt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Rather than laying on your back under the trailer to do your "adjustments".. the entire drain assembly is just screwed into the bottom of the fresh water tank. So, if your tank is empty, unscrew the drain line and take it to your workshop, do whatever you want to it, then wrap some Teflon tape around the threads and screw it back into the fresh water tank.

I find I do my "best thinking" when I'm not "upside down with my hands up in the air and my head crooked to a painful position".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water tank, tank, water