Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Buck1032

Cougar XLite 28RDB slide issue

We had an interesting thing happen yesterday on out 4 month old Cougar. The DW went out to the camper yesterday and went to extend the main slide. The motor sounded very strained and stop after approx. 12 inches. She brought it back in and it sounded fine and closed properly. We keep the camper plugged in via a 110 outlet to keep the battery charged. Today I investigated a bit. I tried to extend the slide and got the same issue. I pulled the 110 connection and connected to the 30 amp outlet. I let it set while we cooked and ate dinner. I tried the slide again after we ate and had the same issue. The slide motor sounds very strained and labored and stops after a few inches. It will reset after a few seconds and repeat the issue. Once fully extended it will retract completely and normally. The bedroom slide has no issues coming or going. Any thoughts on this problem?
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Is it a cable operated slide or an electric "ram" type slide?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of slide system do you have? Has something got caught under it either inside or out? Have you checked the batteries; are they full and have they been taken care of (thinking the "main" slide is bigger and heavier than the bedroom slide). Slides are wonderful but when they decide to act up they can be a real pain.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
Buck1032

Sorry, cable and motor operated slide. I haven't really checked the battery, its a 6 months old and has always been connected to 110 shore power while parked here at home. I have looked at the cabling and it all looks normal. We are about to tow it back for warranty work. May as well let them deal it if I cant find something simple that is causing it.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's been connected to shore power for 6 months and you haven't done any battery maintenance, the first thing I'd do is check the battery connections for corrosion and check the battery water level. If that is good, I'd consider installing a "known good battery" just to be sure. If that doesn't resolve the problem, then I'd look toward the slide cable adjustment as the next logical problem.

Keep in mind that slide adjustment (which includes adjusting the cables) is only included in the warranty repairs for 90 days, after that, it's considered a "maintenance item" and Keystone won't pay for the adjustment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Check the batteries. I know the trailer is only 6 mos. old to you, but it may have sat on the yard for a year being powered up, down, up etc. I bought mine and didn't check the batteries for over 9 mos. thinking it was "new". Not so. One of them was belly up and bulging and was causing all kinds of havoc when I checked them. Just fyi.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Buck1032

We have had the camper since Nov and the battery is 6 months old. I do check the battery lever every few weeks. I looked at the terminals and level's today. I am thinking its not a battery issue as the main slide doesn't have any problem's retracting, just going out. The bedroom slide isn't having any issues in or out.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
theallde

Buck1032:

Did you ever find the fix to your slide-out issue?

I had a similar problem on my 12' slide-out. I replace the 12v 30amp fuse on the fuse panel and that helped for several times but the problem has returned.

The TT is currently at a public storage area while we remodel since we needed the TT area for remodeling supplies. The remodel should be done in 30 days so I plan to check all the connections on the control panel and the fuse panel connections. If those connections are all solid then I'll switch the slide out motors to see if the problem is the motor.

I've saved the thread so I'll post my results .... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
chartrand

Motor strained going out, but sounds and runs fine going in you say. That does not sound like a battery to me. I would suggest maybe there is something caught under the slide. I had a very similar issue with my Premier. It turned out to be a piece of the rubber gasket used to seal the slide from rain. once cleared mine started working fine again.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
Buck1032

The only update I have is it sat unattended and untested for a few days. We had a big storm blow through with high winds, so I buttoned her up and rolled up the power cord. Today I plugged her back in and ran the slide in and out and no issue noted. For the time being every time we run it out we will have the phone ready to video the operation if it acts up again. I have looked at the cables and all around the slide and didn't see anything out of the ordinary or out of place.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
theallde

Wow, very strange but for the good strange.

I've saved this thread so I'll post what happens when we get the TT back from storage after the remodel.

Gook luck .... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, slide