Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Loki

Light bulbs above vanity

I have a 2012 Montana High Country that has 3 light bulbs above the vanity cabinet which need to be replaced. They do have the socket type BA9S which seems to be very unusual for this kind of bulb. I looked up and down the internet, including automotive sites, but couldn't find anything remotely similar. Since I can't be the only one who needed a replacement, can anyone help?

Thanks.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
concours

I don't know if this helps but our Cougar has round lights above the vanity which have small halogen bulbs. I also searched for these in automotive and RV stores I finally found them at Rona in the cabinet Hardware area since then I have seen them at Home depot etc. If you look in the Cabinet Hardware section there will be bins with under counter lighting etc. Make sure that you get the correct wattage as they do get hot
Hope it helps
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I don't know if this helps but our Cougar has round lights above the vanity which have small halogen bulbs. I also searched for these in automotive and RV stores I finally found them at Rona in the cabinet Hardware area since then I have seen them at Home depot etc. If you look in the Cabinet Hardware section there will be bins with under counter lighting etc. Make sure that you get the correct wattage as they do get hot
Hope it helps
How do you get to the bulbs in those lights?

Javi
Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If they are the standard ceiling lights like on the Raptor that very thick glass cover has to be removed. If you are lucky put you fingers between the ceiling and the outer rim of the glass cover and pull down ,sometimes helps to try rotating while you are pulling down.. on a couple of mine they were so tight had to use two wood door shims to work off.. be patient they will come off. Highly suggest if you have halogen bulbs in them to replace with leds. Do not want to do this too many times !!

May help to lub those three clips when you get them off
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Javi

Yep... LED is why I want to get to the blubs. The lens is about 2 1/2" in diameter and opaque, mounted directly to the wood of the medicine cabinet.

Javi
Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Javi, could not find the picture of my other light that is a real pain to get to the bulb, Found this similar picture, that black rim needs to be pressed in and the rim rotated. There are three plastic tabs holding that lid on. These on my Raptor are mounted in/onto wood. Depending on the space they left when the housing was mounted it was extremely difficult to have enough room to be able to push in far enough to get by those plastic locking pins. Actually the one over the entertainment system had a tab broken off which I think is why I got if off. Had to use a tiny spot of glue to put it back on (two remaining tabs and spot of glue. Pretty sure I still have one with original halogen bulb in it. Think at I time tried to get that on open

Not sure exactly what you have, hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Minature Light-12V-10W-Halogen-B.pdf (261.2 KB, 322 views)
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
concours

The picture that PARAPTOR posted is the light that I am talking about. In order to remove the lens you must turn the ring anti clockwise about 1/8 turn then pull down DO NOT just pull down or you will break the tabs. The other problem is that if the installer over tightened the lamp base distorting the base and making it hard to pull down. As for finding a LED good luck I put a lot of time into looking and there was nothing a year ago.
And finally do not try to use a bulb with a higher wattage as the heat will destroy the lamp.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yep... LED is why I want to get to the blubs. The lens is about 2 1/2" in diameter and opaque, mounted directly to the wood of the medicine cabinet.

Javi
They sound like mine, they don't have the black rim around them like PARAPTOR posted, they're just frosted all the way across. You have to turn them counter clockwise 1/8 to 1/4 turn and they pull off (or will fall off, hold onto them). Mine have LEDs behind them thankfully.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Okay having a senior moment in regard to where we are? Is the picture I sent the light in question? If so the original bulb is a bit pin halogen bulb, which is standard in any harware store. Think original one was 10 watt. As stated there have been posts where due to heat some of these lens have started melting. This bulb is also ready available in 20 watt which I would question, depends on where installed and amount of ventilation.

As far as a led replacement, which I did, obviously it has to be a small disc or small tower. Not much room in there. Think one I used was a 9 led small disc.. Since I do not want to take down the one I tack glued would have to see if I can fine some documentation. Anyone intetested? Javi is this last picture what you were referring to ??
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
canesfan

Never mind. I'm talking about the ceiling lights. I don't have any lights mounted on the medicine cabinet, they are all in the ceiling.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Never mind. I'm talking about the ceiling lights. I don't have any lights mounted on the medicine cabinet, they are all in the ceiling.
Thought you had two of these in the wood trim above the sofa and the entertainment center??
Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
canesfan

I was talking about in the bathroom. But those others you mentioned are the same as the ceiling lights. None with black trim rings and all LEDs. The only non LED lights are the one under the kitchen cabinet above the window and the one above the bed in the slideout. They are those old fashioned style plastic rectangular ones. I replaced the bulbs with LEDs, didn't bother to upgrade the fixtures...yet.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
canesfan

I was wrong...again...twice in one day. Will wonders never cease??? The two over the entertainment center are like the ones you posted with the black ring. Now that I have the ladder out to work on the AC ducts I'll check them out. The two over the couch are in the ceiling of the slide and are normal.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
canesfan

So does anyone know what kind of socket/base these are? PARAPTOR you said you replaced them with LEDs. What kind? Where from? Picture?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

The original bi-pin halogen (10 watt) bulb was replaced with a G4 Base led. . Because of the small size of the fixture I used the disc type led about diameter of a quarter with pins coming out of side versus back. Non polarized or you may have to rewire the socket (50 50).I do not use the 12v ones, I get the 12-xx Volt ones.

When go back out to the Raptor I will see if I can get picture and see if any numbers are on it. Think my second one still has the halogen in it, could not get top off,ie may have bought two replacements

Edit: a short tower may also work

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
canesfan

Like these?

https://www.amazon.com/HERO-LED-SG4-...JB39YREP6&th=1
Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Okay I am back from the Raptor, only info I can find is possibly the disc one was a Arcon JC10 6 Led disc. No numbers on actual disc. Below is a picture of another one I had along with a quarter and a small tower. I prefer a disc. Think l bought one warm white and one bright white. Looks like one pictured is the warm white. Looks like the ones you posted are correct size. Will have to look at them again

Now that I found it may go back out and replace that last halogen yeap and get that cover off

Edit: height of tower equal to diameter of disc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170221_121909.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	11876  

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
canesfan

So are these halogen lights on a transformer? I'm trying to read up on the LEDs because they don't state the voltage as 12V or 12-24 or 12-30 or whatever. If you hover over the bottom thumbnail on my link above there is some info on voltage but it isn't clear what the light actually is. The normal 12V ONLY LEDs aren't supposed to be used on a 12V RV system which can be more than 12V. You are supposed to use the 12V to whatever V ones. I just realized the ones I replaced are 12V only. I am going to replace them. Don't need any other fire hazards. But can't figure this one out. It also says not to use them in a completely sealed fixture or there will be a heat problem.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

A quick answer before I get locked in here again . No, no transformers, all of our lights are 12V DC. including all the halogen. I interpreted that 12VAC rating to indicate their were non polarized on the 12VDC. Got to Go

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #20
canesfan

So these type all seem to be 12V ONLY if I'm reading everything correctly.

And there's the attached. All of it seems to say don't use these, especially #5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led-warning.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	11877  

Tags
light