Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
carbine

Avalanche and Short Box - Hitch Math

Hey all, first post so plz be gentle. I did search the forums already and can't find what I'm looking for...so asking here.

I'm picking up my new (to me) 2014 Avalanche next weekend and I currently have a GN conversion to hook to my existing B&W turnover installed on my new (to me) 2014 F250 Crew cab...so it's a short box. There is exactly 36" from the ball to the cab. With THE AVALANCHE and the cutouts and design, which I can't find anywhere, what angle can I get? I'll do the math if somebody knows where the specs are for the corner to the king pin.

Alternately, anybody towing an Avalanche with a short box? What is your rig?
carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
carbine

Re: Avalanche and Short Box - Hitch Math

Ok, since everybody jumped in to help I guess I'll post what I know.

Width of the Avalanche is 8', and the distance from the kingpin to the inside corner where impact with the truck would be is exactly half, 48".

In a 2014 F250 crew cab (and other years) the axle is 36" behind the cab, so that is where the B&W will be mounted.

If you take a tape measure, and put it in the center of the ball and roll out 48", you can get your rough angle pretty easily when you rotate around the ball towards the cab. Somewhere near 55 degrees to my estimation.

After doing extensive research, I've decided to go with the Andersen Ultimate () for a few reasons:

1. Lightweight (35ish pounds)
2. Easy to connect and disconnect on uneven ground
3. Doesn't cause unnatural stress on the RV frame
4. Configures to give me as much as 9" further back.
5. Supports an offset ball for the B&W receiver that would give me another 4"
6. Multiple height adjustments to account for pinbox/kingpin approach angle to truck bed wall clearance.
7. Cost is about $700.

A comparable slider is going to cost more, and I'll not be able to remove it from the bed of my truck on my own. They are a couple hundred pounds or more. They don't hitch/unhitch well on uneven ground. What is more, is that most sliders give you 10" of rear travel - while the companion slider gives you 12". I can get as much as 13" with the Andersen if my truck bed/tailgate will support it.

Good luck to anybody looking for help in the future.
carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Tbos

Avalanche and Short Box - Hitch Math

Thanks for doing all this research. I have a TT but if I upgrade to a 5er it will help. Good luck. Have fun enjoying your rig.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #4
m&m

Congrats on new avalanche. I use a long bed with oe pullrite hitch. So can't be of help to ya.:
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch