Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
geobet

High Country 310RE

Anyone towing this unit with a 2013 Ram 2500 2x4 diesel? Got my target set on this one, a 2017 and checking it out tomorrow. Need answers/suggestions ASAP.

Cheers;

George
Old 10-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Re: High Country 310RE

Well, you've picked a nice trailer but it will be over what your truck is rated for in all probability. Your truck has a payload of about 2800lbs from what I can tell (inside your door will tell you the actual number). You didn't specify what type of tranny or size of bed but 2800 will be pretty close.

The 310RE has a dry pin weight of 2155. Fully loaded it will probably exceed the payload of your truck alone not to mention the hitch, people, cargo etc. It will PULL the load, but the truck isn't sprung to carry the load. It will likely look like so many I see with a 3/4 ton truck pulling a large 5th wheel and their headlights are pointed at the sky.

Payload....the Achilles heel of trucks and towing.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Barbell

We pulled a 3100RL with a 2500 2X4 CTD with air bags and Banks exhaust brake for three years with no problems. The air bags solve the problem of the rear sagging and the exhaust brake is a necessity for downhill and stopping. Total weight of truck, trailer, us and dogs was around 23,000. It can be done safely but I much prefer our current setup; 3500 dually CTD w/Aisan trans.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Dave W

We pull the longer/heavier 343RL with a Ford F250 diesel. By the @#$% yellow sticker we are over the 'designated' load by the weight police . In reality, my truck has a 12,100 pounds GCVW based on ACTUAL suspension part numbers. Without air bags, it's fine. With air bags, even better yet but it does have Ford's 5th wheel and camper options. To date, nary a problem at ~98,000 miles. Now with all that said, do I advocate explaining to those weight police why you don't have a bigger is better 350/3500 or more - nope? It is your call but at first look, your Cummins power will do fine but if doesn't have at least the heavier suspension option, you may suffer by checking out the owl population.

Oh and any Montana High Country - a great choice without going crazy on cost of a decent 5er
Old 10-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
We pull the longer/heavier 343RL with a Ford F250 diesel. By the @#$% yellow sticker we are over the 'designated' load by the weight police . In reality, my truck has a 12,100 pounds GCVW based on ACTUAL suspension part numbers. Without air bags, it's fine. With air bags, even better yet but it does have Ford's 5th wheel and camper options. To date, nary a problem at ~98,000 miles. Now with all that said, do I advocate explaining to those weight police why you don't have a bigger is better 350/3500 or more - nope? It is your call but at first look, your Cummins power will do fine but if doesn't have at least the heavier suspension option, you may suffer by checking out the owl population.

Oh and any Montana High Country - a great choice without going crazy on cost of a decent 5er

Weight police? I am assuming you are referring to my original post. When a new person is asking about a new truck/trailer combo that appears to exceed his max towing limits it is incumbent, and prudent, for someone to advise them of it so they will be aware, not tell them "hey buddy, if she'll get her rolling yer good to go!!" That's dangerous. What the individual does, after knowing the full set of circumstances, is up to them.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Weight police? I am assuming you are referring to my original post. When a new person is asking about a new truck/trailer combo that appears to exceed his max towing limits it is incumbent, and prudent, for someone to advise them of it so they will be aware, not tell them "hey buddy, if she'll get her rolling yer good to go!!" That's dangerous. What the individual does, after knowing the full set of circumstances, is up to them.
If the shoe fits, by all means, wear it. But with that said, take a wander over to one of the other major RV sites and suggest anything less then an F350/3500 dually or F450 or GM/Ram of that size is bare minimum for any 5th wheel.

It thoroughly upsets me when someone without having a clue as to what someone else owns blindly says that his TV isn't capable of hauling 5er Brand X. I believe I made myself clear that the OP may not have enough truck, i.e. "..your Cummins power will do fine but if doesn't have at least the heavier suspension option, you may suffer by checking out the owl population".

'Nuff said by me. If others chime in, their prerogative
Old 10-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
CWSWine

Safety is critical when towing an RV Trailer. This training video discusses the importance of understanding a Truck's ratings and how these ratings limit the size of the trailer that can be safely towed. You will be provided the tools and basic understanding needed to assist your endeavor to properly match a truck and trailer, so that you can enjoy RVing safely.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/mat...ks-to-trailers
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
Old 10-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If the shoe fits, by all means, wear it. But with that said, take a wander over to one of the other major RV sites and suggest anything less then an F350/3500 dually or F450 or GM/Ram of that size is bare minimum for any 5th wheel.

It thoroughly upsets me when someone without having a clue as to what someone else owns blindly says that his TV isn't capable of hauling 5er Brand X. I believe I made myself clear that the OP may not have enough truck, i.e. "..your Cummins power will do fine but if doesn't have at least the heavier suspension option, you may suffer by checking out the owl population".

'Nuff said by me. If others chime in, their prerogative
OP gave truck and trailer combo. Not much to dig up the specs and go from there. So, I do have a "clue" to trying to advise vs "forget the ^%$#& weighting limits on the door".... which upsets me as well. Suggestions are not made "blindly".
Old 10-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #9
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OP gave truck and trailer combo. Not much to dig up the specs and go from there. So, I do have a "clue" to trying to advise vs "forget the ^%$#& weighting limits on the door".... which upsets me as well. Suggestions are not made "blindly".
forget the ^%$#& payload on the door its a 3/4 ton!

Everyone knows that is just a # to make the tax man and big brother happy your not "commercial" running a 3/4 ton truck.

There fixed it for you.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
forget the ^%$#& payload on the door its a 3/4 ton!

Everyone knows that is just a # to make the tax man and big brother happy your not "commercial" running a 3/4 ton truck.

There fixed it for you.
Sort of like buying a "SMALL GAME LICENSE" and going "DEER HUNTING". You don't have the license for what you're hunting just like you don't have the "capacity" for what you're towing. Don't get upset or blame "them" when you get caught cheating. The "advantage of lower ratings" was implemented for those owner/operators who don't require the higher ratings (and in many situations don't have to pay higher fees). It was not implemented as a means for someone to "buy cheap, license low and load/tow heavy". There's a substantial insurance reduction that I enjoy by having a 3/4 ton truck (as opposed to a one ton). For me to have the above "attitude" would be cheating not only those who pay "their full share" of road repair taxes/fees, but also those who pay the increased premiums for properly insuring and registering their vehicle.

Poaching is not ethical just like towing without paying your fair share of taxes/fees/licenses is not ethical. There's nothing "legal" about cheating the system whether it's "hunting without a license" or "ignoring the payload" on your truck. Sooner or later states are going to realize there's a "substantial cash cow" in fines, inspections and penalties to be made. When that happens and we all are faced with added enforcement, you can thank the "towing poachers" who cheated the system for all those years for the added burden.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sort of like buying a "SMALL GAME LICENSE" and going "DEER HUNTING". You don't have the license for what you're hunting just like you don't have the "capacity" for what you're towing. Don't get upset or blame "them" when you get caught cheating. The "advantage of lower ratings" was implemented for those owner/operators who don't require the higher ratings (and in many situations don't have to pay higher fees). It was not implemented as a means for someone to "buy cheap, license low and load/tow heavy". There's a substantial insurance reduction that I enjoy by having a 3/4 ton truck (as opposed to a one ton). For me to have the above "attitude" would be cheating not only those who pay "their full share" of road repair taxes/fees, but also those who pay the increased premiums for properly insuring and registering their vehicle.

Poaching is not ethical just like towing without paying your fair share of taxes/fees/licenses is not ethical. There's nothing "legal" about cheating the system whether it's "hunting without a license" or "ignoring the payload" on your truck. Sooner or later states are going to realize there's a "substantial cash cow" in fines, inspections and penalties to be made. When that happens and we all are faced with added enforcement, you can thank the "towing poachers" who cheated the system for all those years for the added burden.
I hope it does happen and the "towing poachers" trucks are rated for how they can perform not some bulllll**** made up number and "taxed" alike.

At the end of the day the other difference is most RV's are pulled for recreation not for commercial purposes and the "taxes" should also be classified differently based on use. I'm all for weighing every vehicle towing a trailer period.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm not involved in any "commerce" but I have commercial plates, not passenger vehicle plates.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I'm not involved in any "commerce" but I have commercial plates, not passenger vehicle plates.
Yes but are you not in the communist state of California? Should there not be a federal standard on licensing so there is no confusion state to state like exist today?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes but are you not in the communist state of California? Should there not be a federal standard on licensing so there is no confusion state to state like exist today?
Please read post #4 and post #9 here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...hlight=license

Many people only see "rules that apply to their state" and forget that what applies to them can be entirely different just "one town away" ..... It's not "just California" as you'll see by reading the above posts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #15
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Please read post #4 and post #9 here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...hlight=license

Many people only see "rules that apply to their state" and forget that what applies to them can be entirely different just "one town away" ..... It's not "just California" as you'll see by reading the above posts.
Linky no worky.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Linky no worky.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...hlight=license

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
geobet

Hey guys, didn't mean to cause a fuss on the forum - I'm the original poster. Don't want to bore you with all the details but my truck is a 2013 Ram, long bed, 3:42 rears, 6 speed auto, extra leaf spring (which actually makes it a one ton). Even the Keystone website notes that the High Country is suited for a 3/4 ton truck.

Anyway, I bought the High Country 310RE and even the sales person checked the listing in Trailer Life for 2013 he said I couldn't pull it. Trailer Life says I can only pull 10,000. Say what @#@!!. Come on! Really??? I had pulled a copy of the 2500 Ram listing from none other than Rams own website that says differently - in every aspect. Take that salesperson!!!!

I know I'll be riding the edge on the loaded pin weight but, I've already added an extra leaf spring as well as Firestone Ride Rite air bags to counteract any potential sag. I've been towing for over 40 years with every type of trailer from livestock to RVs and feel confident that my set up will handle the High Country. I just wanted to know if anyone else has the same setup - didn't mean to start a skirmish.

Cheers:

George
Old 10-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #18
Banjopicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
I know I'll be riding the edge on the loaded pin weight but, I've already added an extra leaf spring as well as Firestone Ride Rite air bags to counteract any potential sag. I've been towing for over 40 years with every type of trailer from livestock to RVs and feel confident that my set up will handle the High Country. I just wanted to know if anyone else has the same setup - didn't mean to start a skirmish.

Cheers:

George
Curious what the cost was for those upgrades? I certainly don't want a one ton for everyday driving.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
geobet

Banjopicks:

I just assuming you also have a 3/4 ton also. The cost for the bags and leaf spring not counting the new hitch was south of $500. I do all my own mechanical work so I installed them myself.

In my case with a 2013 ram 2500 the only difference between the 3/4 and one ton was one leaf spring. Both chassis, tranny, engine, suspension and such are identical for 2013. I agree with you about not wanting a one ton. My last two Rams were 3500 duallys. Parking spaces aren't wide enough and who wants to deal with 6 tires. Besides, after doing tons of research, and given the fact that my 2500 is paid for, figured I'd tweak up what I have rather than sink another 60 grand into a truck just to haul the High Country.

Congrats and Good luck with your High Country.

Cheers:

George
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #20
Banjopicks

Thank you very much. I'm going to consider this!
Closed Thread