Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
GT2400BH

Electric sway control

Anyone tried this tuson sway control ? Looks interesting

http://mrtruck.com/tuson-trailer-sway-control.htm
Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

This is a "spider web" of corporate investments, so bear with me.

Years ago (around 1968) when electronic brake controllers were first being introduced, there was a "electric sway control" device marketed. It was installed at the rear of the trailer, inside a cupboard and reportedly reduced trailer sway "automatically". That device never really "caught on".

The device you ask about is marketed by Tuscon RV and is one of several "electronic trailer sway control" devices on the market.

Now for the "spider web". LCI (Lippert Industries) investment corporation is called "Drew Industries". In 2014 Drew Industries bought Innovated Design Solutions. They were making a "electronic sway device". http://finance.yahoo.com/news/drew-i...215946016.html Lippert "sold exclusive rights" to Jayco, who installed Lippert's "Sway Command" system in some of their trailers. The "exclusive rights" ended in May 2016. https://rv-pro.com/news/jayco-equips...ic-sway-system The system, according to Lippert, is now only available (OEM) on the Forest River Wildcat trailers http://www.lci1.com/sway But when you go to the LCI store, the note indicates that the device is only available on "select Jayco and Forest River products". On the LIppert website, there is a download link for the "aftermarket installation" but the device is not available in the LCI store ???

Dexter also introduced an electronic sway control device in 2014 http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/07/de...ontrol-system/ and http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...ay_Control.pdf

Hayes Manufacturing also has a system on the market http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...FQiLaQodW6IBhA

No doubt there are other "electronic sway control systems" available.

I suppose the point I'm making is that this technology is quite old and has been around in one form or another for a number of years. It never really "caught on", even though it's been "OEM" on some trailers, is currently available from at least 3 or 4 different "RV brake manufacturers" and isn't really "that expensive" to purchase and install.

I'd think the technology is still "developing" and I'd wonder if Tuscon's system is "new and innovative" or if it's an "offshoot" of one of the other systems?????

Maybe it's great, maybe it's a "knockoff" of the Lippert, Hayes or Dexter product ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #3
GT2400BH

John,
for the info. Seems like it would be a great feature to have if it works.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Electronic sway control has been around "in one form or another" for well over 30 years and it still hasn't "taken control".... I have never had a trailer with any of the systems so I can't say whether it works, whether it's "as good as" or whether it's a bust.... I can say that it would seem that if it was "the cat's meow" it would be much more popular than it is......

I'd wonder "what's the reason it's not the standard" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Electronic sway control has been around "in one form or another" for well over 30 years and it still hasn't "taken control".... I have never had a trailer with any of the systems so I can't say whether it works, whether it's "as good as" or whether it's a bust.... I can say that it would seem that if it was "the cat's meow" it would be much more popular than it is......

I'd wonder "what's the reason it's not the standard" ????
Right after high school I was working at an RV place. They had sold a 30+ foot Holiday Rambler trailer to an older couple that was pulling it with a Chrysler 300.

The customers complained about the trailer swaying and it had the ASCS system installed, so the tech took the rig out to check it... he whipped the steering wheel from right to left and back to see if he could make it sway and ended up jackknifing the whole rig and totaling both vehicles

That was in 1972, maybe things have gotten better?

-Brian
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
mfifield01

Most trucks have this built in now. My Ram came with it from the factory.

Edit: I just learned that it only applies brakes on the truck, but controls each side and pull reduce throttle.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
buzzcop63

Toyota Tundra 2012 Owner's Manual: Trailer Sway Control, helps the driver to control trailer sway by selectively applying brake pressure for individual wheels and reducing engine torque when trailer sway is detected. Can be turned off to aid in moving in snow.
Have read report of a driver deliberately causing sway to his trailer to see if he could hit the brake controller before the trucks sway control could activate, the truck computer was faster then the driver and did stop the sway.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
Morotcycle Todd

From doing research I can tell you the Tuson system is the most advanced as it can apply brakes on either side the trailer independently ( of course this means it has to be wired into each side of the brake circuit also)
And potentially correct sway by applying forces to the trailer to bring it back in line without greatly reducing the speed of the rig. It uses a gyro mounted to the frame of the trailer and complex algorithm to detect sway before it becomes unmanageable,

Lipperts system only applies all brakes on the trailer at once and relies on slowing the entire rig to a speed below that which induced the sway. It automatically does what one could theoretically do themselves by manually applying the trailer brakes with a brake controller.

Hayes system seems to be similar to Lippert and cannot apply brakes on either side of trailer independently.

OEM. Systems such as chevy’s stabilitrak system when combined with their integrated brake controller can apply all brakes on trailer simultaneously to slow the rig and apply brakes individually on the truck to counteract forces. It’s kind of a hybrid between the Tuson and Lippert system though it detects sway by detecting forces on the truck induced by sway rather than detecting the sway directly at the trailer.

How effective any of them are is the question. Likely they all have their merits in certain situations and configurations but also likely that none of them will prevent sway induced by any and every situation or circumstance.

Probably the best way to view them is enhancement of a well setup rig rather than a band-aid for a poorly setup rig.
Morotcycle Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morotcycle Todd View Post
From doing research I can tell you the Tuson system is the most advanced as it can apply brakes on either side the trailer independently ( of course this means it has to be wired into each side of the brake circuit also)
And potentially correct sway by applying forces to the trailer to bring it back in line without greatly reducing the speed of the rig. It uses a gyro mounted to the frame of the trailer and complex algorithm to detect sway before it becomes unmanageable,

Lipperts system only applies all brakes on the trailer at once and relies on slowing the entire rig to a speed below that which induced the sway. It automatically does what one could theoretically do themselves by manually applying the trailer brakes with a brake controller.

Hayes system seems to be similar to Lippert and cannot apply brakes on either side of trailer independently.

OEM. Systems such as chevy’s stabilitrak system when combined with their integrated brake controller can apply all brakes on trailer simultaneously to slow the rig and apply brakes individually on the truck to counteract forces. It’s kind of a hybrid between the Tuson and Lippert system though it detects sway by detecting forces on the truck induced by sway rather than detecting the sway directly at the trailer.

How effective any of them are is the question. Likely they all have their merits in certain situations and configurations but also likely that none of them will prevent sway induced by any and every situation or circumstance.

Probably the best way to view them is enhancement of a well setup rig rather than a band-aid for a poorly setup rig.

You realize the post you are trying to respond to is over 4 years old??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote