Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
sjturbo

Need help with broken window!

I got to close to a tree with my Laredo 5th wheel. Broke the stationary glass above the tilt out at the dining table. I have some questions I hope some can answer. Is this a diy or dealer/repair shop issue? Should I order the glass from Keystone dealer or can an auto glass dealer cut and replace?If diy does the entire window (frame/glass), need to come out? Any suggestions, (other than stay away from trees), would be appreciated !
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It is easier to replace the entire assembly. If you look on the inside you'll see screws on the flange around the entire frame.

Once those screws are out, the entire window can be removed. Then you just clean any sealant on the trailer, run some new butyl tape on the new window and reverse the process. Put the window in and install the screws through the flange.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Last year, I replaced a broken window (approx 18" x 24"). I removed the frame and took it to a local glass shop and they needed the frame so as to get an exact size for the glass and they also mounted it in the frame when the glass came in.

There are quite a few screws to remove to get the frame/glass out of the opening. When the frame is out, thoroughly clean the residue caulking from around the window. Before setting the window back in place, apply some butyl tape caulking starting from the middle of the bottom and go around the window coming back to the mid bottom again.

Place the window and frame in the opening, center it and start screwing it back in. Go around the entire frame and gently snug the screws and then tighten them up as you would the lug nuts on your wheels. Tighten enough so that the caulking squeezes out of the edges and trim off with a plastic knife. No need to apply any additional caulking.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
sjturbo

Thanks guys! The window is a 48x48 top is fixed and the bottom is a 10" high crank out! I assume I need to remove the funky top and side valance as well as the day/night shade? Any suggestions as to an online vendor? I have looked at Hehr and Kinro but can't find a match?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe that Trekwood will have the exact window you're looking for. They "ain't cheap" but they are reliable....

Here's the link for windows for your 316RL: http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...arch-keywords=

I believe the window you are looking for is this: http://www.trekwood.com/products/127...ack-Frame-8500

Price is listed at $320 plus shipping. As I said, "ain't cheap" If you do decide to pull the window and have the pane replaced locally using the original frame, be sure you stipulate safety glass (a RVIA requirement). If you don't use safety glass, you may have problems at trade in or with insurance ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
sjturbo

Thanks JRTJH but the Tekwood appears to be a slider and mine has a round knob and cranks out on a tilt. I'm pretty sure that the frame measures 48" square.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post
Thanks JRTJH but the Tekwood appears to be a slider and mine has a round knob and cranks out on a tilt. I'm pretty sure that the frame measures 48" square.
Have your VIN in hand and call Tekwood, they will match it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
sjturbo

Thanks Javi! I'm on it!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
mazboy123

give your model/serial number to a dealer and let him order a replacement.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy123 View Post
give your model/serial number to a dealer and let him order a replacement.
I would only do that as a last resort. The dealer is going to pass on "handling" charges and as much profit as he thinks he can get by with. Last dealer I worked at even charged full price to his own employees.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote