Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Chris426

Smile First trip complete! Few Small Issues...

Took our Mountaineer on it's first outing this past weekend to a very nice park less than an hours drive. NO major issues! Made a list of little things for the dealer to correct but all the major things worked fine. I have seen posts about 2nd A/C units. We arrived in middle of a very hot day and main living area cooled down quickly but bedroom was much warmer, only one vent in bedroom vs. four in main living area. The Dometic unit was also VERY loud, any info on quieter units for the front would be appreciated. Also wife does not like the skylight over the shower , looking for a fix...
Chris426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris426 View Post
Also wife does not like the skylight over the shower , looking for a fix...
My wife made a "cover" out of fabric and we put Velcro tape on both it and the bottom trim of the skylight. It keeps the morning sun out except, of course, when you shower---- then it has to be removed. Works great!

You can also purchase ready-made ones at various RV supply places.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
R&KFerguson

We took our new Cougar out last weekend, and yes, the AC units are loud. We have a 2nd one in the bedroom. We did not need the 2nd one on during the night once it was cooled down, so we turned it off & slept in silence. It was in the mid 70s all night outside, and up to 90 outside in the day.

We like our skylight over the shower, but noticed it allows more heat in, so we are seeking summertime insulation ideas.

I'll be following this thread for the experienced input of others....

Kat

2016 Cougar 5th Wheel 333MKS
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD dually
R&KFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If you remove the inside trim on the skylight you can place something in between the outer and inner domes to defuse the light. I used the foil faced bubble-wrap type insulation and it cut down on the heat and lets only a little light in. Now no one hiding in the trees (or drones) can peek at Mama while she is in the shower.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The skylight in the shower is a two part installation. The upper part is permanently mounted on the rooftop and is sealed with DICOR sealant. It is "essentially" not removable. The inside part is held in place with either 6 or 8 screws (depending on the size).

I removed the inside part, cut a piece of "open weave non-skid shelf liner" to fit over the clear plastic part. I used 4 small pieces of duct tape to hold it in place and reinstalled using the same screws and holes.

Now, the "open weave shelf liner" blocks the majority of the light and heat, but there is still a "subdued" amount of sunlight that shines through. It's much cooler and much more pleasing to be in the bathroom without the glare from the sun.

Here is a picture of the type of "shelf liner" I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPEN WEAVE SHELF LINER.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	8904  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
R&KFerguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The skylight in the shower is a two part installation. The upper part is permanently mounted on the rooftop and is sealed with DICOR sealant. It is "essentially" not removable. The inside part is held in place with either 6 or 8 screws (depending on the size).

I removed the inside part, cut a piece of "open weave non-skid shelf liner" to fit over the clear plastic part. I used 4 small pieces of duct tape to hold it in place and reinstalled using the same screws and holes.

Now, the "open weave shelf liner" blocks the majority of the light and heat, but there is still a "subdued" amount of sunlight that shines through. It's much cooler and much more pleasing to be in the bathroom without the glare from the sun.

Here is a picture of the type of "shelf liner" I used.
So, John, that liner did not have any melting issues? I didn't even want to use that in my cabinets for fear of sticking in our Texas heat.

Kat

2016 Cougar 5th Wheel 333MKS
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD dually
R&KFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

So far, I've had no problems. We've towed to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, North and South Carolina in 100+ temps for the past 5 years using this type of "sunblock" without any issues. For us, it's a "one time put it in place and forget it" type of installation. Both the Springdale and the Cougar have been "happy" without any "melting" or "dissolving" of the plastic or the liner.

We bought ours at WalMart for about $3 (I think) and use it for everything from shelf liner to keep things from sliding to pot/pan liner to protect the Teflon.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
GaryWT

We do not have a skylight but most that I have seen are not clear, they are white, so no one can see in. That said, light and heat are a different issue especially for those of you in the south. Many RV stores sell insulating covers for those, the vents and the door windows.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote