Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #1
rjsurfer

Leaking drip rail.

It seems like forever I have been fighting an on again off again water leak which appeared to be coming from the top/inside of my kitchen window at the rear side of the camper. Over the years its been getting worse finally after numerous attempts at caulking the outside of the window I took the inside of the window frame off and looked carefully at the leaking area and found low and behold the water was actually wicking down the Luan that's glued to the foam core wall! That explained the dark tinge of the leaking water.

Out came the ladder and I started to look carefully at the drip rail over the window at the edge of the roof, apparently water was getting under the rail and working its way down the foam core to the window. Taking the plastic cover that hides the drip rail screws, I pulled some screws out and found a few that were rusted, OK I Dicored the holes and re-screwed them back in place, problem solved, or so I thought. The next heavy rain and the leak was still there.

Back on the ladder, this time I pulled the drip rail cover back another 4 feet and sure enough I found the problem, the factory failed to caulk the joint where two sections of drip rail connect. Water was somehow getting behind the roof membrane at that point and traveling down under the drip rail toward the rear of the camper until it found a spot to travel down the inside of the foam core wall over the window. How do I know its fixed? I just lived through a huge rainstorm that dumped 5" of rain here at St. Joseph State Park here in the panhandle of Florida and no leak.

It's funny I have read numerous posts where Keystone owners were forced to run 4" Dicor strips over the entire drip rail to cure crazy water leaks coming from the roof. I'm betting the real issue was this seam where the rails are joined. Covering the drip rail is another way of fixing it.

Something to keep an eye out for.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
ggrant119

Great info Ron!!

What's the info on the the trailer?
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote