Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
roadtirement

Generator in the PU bed?

New to the forum, wow what a great resource! My question concerns generators. We have a 260LHS Hideout, went FT last summer. I am wondering about getting a generator, fixing it to the bed of the truck (anti-theft) and having at least some electric when shore power is not available.

Is anybody here doing that? Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Is this not an answer to having power at a rest area or dry camping? We also set up at festivals/markets to sell our wares and sometimes power is not available.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Tbristol

I have my Honda 3000 sitting in the bed of my truck right now. I even ran a new wire from the pin box to a transfer switch. So I can plug in to the generator with a short plug right on the back of the truck. In fact I leave it plug in all the time while traveling. I put a remote start on the generator. I stop for lunch or for the night don't have hook ups hit the remote start and I'm fully powered. Best mod I ever did. Running the power cord from the back usually with an extension took a lot of time and was a pain just for some quick power. Now it's easy.
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
gearhead

I have a Champion that I carry in the truck bed. We have used it dry camping at races. Has a 30amp plug. They do have a remote electric start model. Got mine at Tractor Supply. Had a bit of trouble with it at first, but all is well now.
http://www.championpowerequipment.co.../recreational/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbristol View Post
I have my Honda 3000 sitting in the bed of my truck right now. I even ran a new wire from the pin box to a transfer switch. So I can plug in to the generator with a short plug right on the back of the truck. In fact I leave it plug in all the time while traveling. I put a remote start on the generator. I stop for lunch or for the night don't have hook ups hit the remote start and I'm fully powered. Best mod I ever did. Running the power cord from the back usually with an extension took a lot of time and was a pain just for some quick power. Now it's easy.
Tbristol,

That sounds like a nice modification. Can you explain it in a little more detail? Especially the transfer switch and its importance ?

Thanks

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
Tbristol

Transfer switch is used to switch power from one source to another. Without doing damage to your camper. My 5th wheel has its own hookups here at home. Unfortunately, I don't have enough power to it. So when I have guest or my parents come for an extended visit they live in the 5th wheel. So I leave the 5th wheel plugged into shore power and put the generator out there also. When they need to run the AC. They just have to hit the remote start on the generator. No cord swapping or anything. The Transfer switches on its own over to the Generator power. When they are done with the AC. Turn generator off with remote. The Transfer switch automatically switches back to shore power. They even have a small delay built in so there is no cross of power from either source. Transfer switches sometimes have hookups for inverters also so you can swap from three sources with ease. Even if I didn't have hookups at home. I would have still used the transfer switch for my cord add on for the front of the 5th wheel. It made the install easier.

Now the front cord install. I used all parts from home Depot. Except the 30 amp RV Cord I already had one. Note my 5th wheel came from the factory wired for 50 amp. But my Generator is only 30 amp. So I used... I'm old so my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I think I used 8 Guage wire about 20 foot. I used a 50 amp transfer switch. I can't remember what brand. It was the one that every one on here was recommending. So I have a 5th wheel. I took a wire fish tape and fished the wire from the pin box straight back under the fiberglass which is actually under the the floor of the bedroom. Into the storage compartment. Then I placed the transfer switch in a small compartment out of site. Hooked that end of wire to the generator side of the transfer switch. At the pin box. I hooked the other end to a RV 30 amp receptacle. Or female plug, depends on where your from. That tucks up nicely inside the pin box when not on use. Now when 5th wheel is hooked to the truck I plug one end of a 30 amp rv cord into generator. You may have to buy the adaptor, I did. I then plug the other end into the receptacle I installed. It all lays nice and neat on the bed of the truck. I have to keep Generator up behind the cab because of height. So now when ever I need power while traveling. Hit the remote start and we are living large.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
pjhansman

I have a 3kw Yamaha that travels in front of my hitch. Often it stays and runs right there. However, sometimes when we're camping at a race without power, my wife gets annoyed if I drive away with her power source......so the big problem is getting it in and out.

My solution was a portable aluminum jib crane with the base mounted in the back of the truck. It easily lifts the 200# Yammy into the box and over the hitch.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
Tbristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhansman View Post
I have a 3kw Yamaha that travels in front of my hitch. Often it stays and runs right there. However, sometimes when we're camping at a race without power, my wife gets annoyed if I drive away with her power source......so the big problem is getting it in and out.

My solution was a portable aluminum jib crane with the base mounted in the back of the truck. It easily lifts the 200# Yammy into the box and over the hitch.
I looked at one of those. I couldn't justify the cost for the few times a year I would use it. I sure would like the ease of it though.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
rjsurfer

Tbristol,

Thank you for the transfer switch and cabeling info....makes sense.

But now I have another project O:-)

Ron
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #9
Tbristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Tbristol,

Thank you for the transfer switch and cabeling info....makes sense.

But now I have another project O:-)

Ron
No problem. It took me a good Saturday to complete the project.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
Larry1013

I have a Champion that I carry in truck bed. I did make a new muffler end so i could screw a 90* elbow on it to direct the heat and gases out of the truck bed and away from other items near it. It is the remote control electric start that makes it nice to start and stop without getting out in bad weather.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
theeyres

Nothing fancy at all, but I do have a 2000w Honda chained to the sidewall in the bed. When I need it I can plug the Hideout into it with a 30 amp extension cord. If I am staying somewhere for awhile I will take it out of the truck and chain it to a tree, the trailer, or wherever so it won't walk away.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Ram189

I keep my Yamaha in the bed of my truck also in front of my hitch. I padlock and chain it to the tie downs in the bed of the truck.
It runs and has not problem there. I have to use and extension cable most of the time since the plug is dead middle in the back of my trailer.
If you look real close at the picture below you can see it sticking up.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Weber

I have a champion 3100, I run in the bed of the truck when the pull is long. It is mainly to keep rear fridge running. (I know I need to do an inverter) I did run the ac one time on a short run to a campsite and it did great. Camper was already cool when we set up. I set up dual input options, front and rear, so I just plug it right into the front mount when towing. cable lock in bed of truck.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:41 AM   #14
bdaniel

I have been using this generator for 15 years.

http://www.bobbystuff.com/rv/78/hond...er-proof-cover
http://www.bobbystuff.com/rv/82/gene...transfer-relay
http://www.bobbystuff.com/rv/182/gen...ransfer-switch

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #15
jsmith948

That - sir - is a clean, clean setup!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
cvin

BDaniel nice set up!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
MarkS

Like Larry1013 said, you need to pay attention to where the exhaust is. It will melt plastic or paint.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote