Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Seafan

Could this have caused a leak in slide? (pics)

We just bought a Premier 31bhpr and picked it up Thursday. We have the TT out of the shelter with slides extended to test everything and prep/load it for first camping trip this weekend. Yesterday we had a torrential rain, and afterward, the carpet was wet around the back slide on the right side. If you're familiar with this model, there is a wardrobe/pantry separating the dining area from the bunkhouse - the carpet was very wet on both sides of the wardrobe/pantry. This is where the edge of the bunkhouse slide comes in. There did not appear to be water coming from the ceiling or walls - they were all dry. We took off the access panel to the converter and it was all dry. We checked the seals on the slide and all appeared ok with them. We have slide awnings, and everything seemed ok at the top of the slide. It appeared that the water was coming from the floor area and that area only.

The only thing we found was this piece of seal around where the cable goes into the main seal was partially peeled back at the top. Could this have created a funnel effect? When we inspected it the entire piece just came right off. There was also water in the hole. Here are the pics to show what it looked like when we found it, and what the hole where the cable goes into the seal looks like - should the hole be that big?

We are new TT owners and I am new to the forum. Has anyone else seen something like this on here before?

What it looked like when we found it:

Angled view:

After the piece popped right off:

Close up of hole where the cable seems to be etching(?) the hole larger:

We mopped up as much of the water as we could with towels - it appeared to be confined to the carpet and the rubber floor below. We put several fans on the area with the carpet propped up in places to allow airflow underneath. DH is contacting our dealer this morning to find out what we're supposed to do. Would love any advice you may have! I'm pretty upset that we haven't even had this a week and already have a flood.
Seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Seafan

Dummy = me

Sorry the images aren't showing up - anyone know what I did wrong? I linked from Dropbox
Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Seafan, If you go to the "Forum Technical Support" Section you will find a the instructions for several ways of posting photos. .......... Welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Seafan

Thanks Hank! Here are the pics

Sorry about that....here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6878.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	7032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4720.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	7033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3416.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	7034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7250.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	7035  
Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
gregrc75

I have those same rubber pieces on my slide. One has fallen off on the last trip, another is peeling off like in your photo, and the other 2 are just fine. I do not have any leaks on mine, yet. I have tried gluing them back in place but they do not seem to hold. I am going to try to replace them to prevent any issues.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Seafan

Well I certainly hope our misfortune will at least help someone prevent this from happening to them.

One thing I forgot to mention - this is a brand new unit. A 2015 that rolled off the manufacturer's floor just in July. So it's not like it was older and happened.

DH is going to try to use Silicone to create a seal in the hole that the cables can still run back and forth through. Fingers crossed this works!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
therink

I would be careful on making any repairs or modifications yourself. If the problem continues or forbid you have any water damage, Keystone may deny warranty coverage because of the changes or repair attempt you made.
I would confirm the problem, photo document it, notify the dealer and let the warranty process take over.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Richard6959

Thumbs up

This may have solved my problem, thanks! We bought a Laredo last month. We had it sitting in the driveway when I noticed those pieces of rubber seal peeling away. When I too the TT back to the dealer for a 2nd A/C installed, I noted the problem. They reattached and all seemed fine.

Yesterday we had a heavy rain, and I found a small puddle on the floor at the left of the kitchen slide. There's no indication of water on the ceiling, walls or anywhere else. My heart sank because I am fearing a nasty leak that is going to be hard to trace, and we are about to take an extended trip at the end of the month (moving) so there is no time to turn it into the dealer.

When I read your post, I ran outside to check those pesky rubber seals. Sure enough, both have pulled away again and the holes are exposed! I am certain that is where the water is coming from.

For me, I have no choice, I will document with photos, and try to seal it up again. Hopefully with the A/C running it will dry our before we get any mold growth.

Lesson learned, I will check those seals every time I extend the slides.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
bobbecky

It would probably help dry things out faster with heat and fans. The quicker you get it dry, the less chances of mold growth. When we had a leak problem last winter, I purchased an electric fan/heater, which worked great.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
Seafan

therink: We called the dealership and they recommended we use silicone to re-apply the rubber piece back to the seal, so we are following their instructions. We live almost 2 hours away from the dealership, so I think we'll be ok with risking this small repair. If it doesn't work we'll take it in but we had to get it sealed up before it rains again, and we couldn't get it to the dealership before that risk presented itself.

Richard6959 - I'm SO GLAD this helped you. As I mentioned to therink above, silicon seems to have securely refastened the rubber piece back to the seal. We got it dried out and it rained again, and no leaks so far. Fingers crossed it holds. We re-attached all the rubber pieces on the 2 slides just to be safe and they certainly look solidly stuck now.

bobbecky - thank you. We actually turned on the A/C full blast and had 2 large fans blowing in the area. It was dry within 12 hours, but we left the fans on for another day just to be safe.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
jtyphoid

Glad to hear that the repair seems to be working. That said, I would have asked the dealership if something other than silicone could be used. Nothing will stick to cured silicone and it's very difficult to completely remove, so you may have difficulty repairing it if it ever fails again.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
JoePK

Seals

If the doesn't mess up your warranty, I would use Goop Marine on those seals. The stuff is amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Goop-Marine-Ad.../dp/B000LNMVI0
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Richard6959

The dealer used silicone to make the repair the first time. So watch it closely, I bet its not going to hold. I'm in Florida so it does get HOT. I tried to use GOOP which is a silicone based adhesive this morning. Nope. Pulled loose on its own in about 15 minutes. Now I am looking for something much stronger like a two part industrial adhesive to try.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #14
Seafan

Ok apparently I gave y'all some misinformation. He used some sort of contact cement that is "made for this" and then used silicone around the edges of the piece of rubber. I can find out what kind of contact cement specifically if I can slow him down enough to find out.

ETA: It's contact cement made for rubber and aluminum, purchased at an auto parts store.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
gregrc75

Does anyone know what these little rubber strips are called? I tried looking at the BAL website, manuals, and parts lists but I cannot find a name. I want to order a couple. Thanks!

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #16
Richard6959

No but its just a pliable rubber material. I plan to replace mine also, but will look for a rubber material at Lowe's or an auto parts store. Should be able to find something that works fine.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #17
jodie.coate

Call the Mfg. They will make it right
jodie.coate is offline   Reply With Quote